How to record KSP

I have been playing KSP for a while now... since christmas...... and I have been thoroughly enjoying it. However, I now want to try making a youtube channel. I tried downloading FRAPS for free but it only records 30 seconds at a time. Which was enough for my shuttle to get to 5K meters? tops.... Does anyone know of a way to record it easily without spending the 40$ required by FRAPS to do long recordings. Thank you for your help.

PS. Is this the right section of the forum?? and does anyone have any tips for someone thinking about starting a youtube channel based around KSP?

Edited by braininator

If you are looking to make any sort of money with streaming and/or youtube, whether it be a dollar or (hopefully) many dollars, you're going to want software that is licensed and that you will end up most likely paying for. There are a plethora of options out there, and a lot of it boils down to compatability with your rig as well as personel preferrence. I personally use XSplit for both recording and streaming, and have paid for the license as to not run into any issues with monetary gains down the line, as well as myself feeling compelled to give credit to those who produce good software.

In my experience, part of having a youtube channel is making sure you have the best equipment for the job. This means that to make the best quality videos I can i'm going to have to spend a few dollars/pounds here and there.

There are some free alternatives, but they have way to many limitations on the overall quality which in turn reflects back on your actual channel. If your deadly serious about making a go of it on youtube, get some licensed software... trust me you will not regret the decision

Well, I'd say that's more of a question for another forum entirely, as it's not really a KSP question. I'm using a version I downloaded that records as long as I want, so all I can recommend, other that buying the FRAPs itself, is to find and use another version, I'm afraid

What version are you using then?

I use Fraps, mainly because for some reason there is no way to send sound thru the HDMI port (which I use) on my PC, which makes using my Elgato Game Capture HD device pretty useless. However, Fraps does reduce framerate of the game a little bit, at least on my machine.

I will second the recommendation for open broadcaster, great for setting up streams.

For recording locally (in order to edit later in some NLE or other, eg Sony Vegas or Edius) I strongly recommend avoiding fraps and instead getting Dxtory. It's more powerful, more configurable, more intelligent with its framerate settings, and IIRC, it's cheaper.

There is some other program I've heard mention of, specifically when talking about recording KSP. Unfortunately I can't remember its name, but I can remember why it was mentioned: it automatically takes care of "stalls" in your framerate (eg, when a physics event occurs, like a collision or an explosion). It only records frames if new frames are displayed, and so even if your actual game experience is laggy and jerky, a video of it recorded with this software will be completely smooth. I wish I could remember what it was called.

OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) is a decent free alternative to FRAPS and has no recording or streaming limit AFAIK. I used to use it when streaming to TwitchTV.

You can download that at the OBS website:

http://obsproject.com/

This. I second this. I use it, it works great, and it is almost as versatile as paid Xsplit but it is open source and thus free with no restrictions . . . ever.

Some of the above are executables, so are for Windows only. If you use another operating system, there are alternatives. I use Snapz Pro X (for Mac). Its not free though. But a quick check at the Apple App Store yields a page full of screen recorders, ranging from free to about $40. Linux users can check what's available I think from a command line utility.

Thank you for your quick replies! If I get into filming and editing for you tube, I would not mind spending money on recording device, however as my free time is limited, I have a busy schedule this year in school, I do not want to buy software that I won't have time to bother use which is why I asked...

PS. Pleborian, ur channel is what first got me into KSP :) thank you

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.