Sign in to follow this  
SuperWeegee4000

What do you think of the new Communotron 88-88 design?

What are your thoughts on the new 88-88?  

1. 1. What are your thoughts on the new 88-88?

• It's better than the original.
    • It's alright, or I don't really care.
    • They should bring back the old model.

They obviously put more effort into the new one, i see no reason why someone would want the old version back. :)

I prefer the new one, as it makes more sense on my my interplanetary probe to have a large 2.5 antenna, rather than a 1.25 m one.

the old one looks alot different than the old one

Confirming this. Also, I like the new one better.

The old one looked too much like an umbrella.

I assumed the old one was and umbrella. :D

I havent unlocked it yet. Can one of you post a screenie?

Not unlocked for me either yet.

Question on the transmitters...is there any difference other than asthetic between them? Do they only work at different distances from kerbin? Do they use different amounts of power or differences in the amount of science recovered between them?

It looks better, but since it's larger it doesn't fit well on all my craft already on missions. (And you can only retract it if you expanded it in 0.22)

Images of both should be in the OP for comparison. I have no idea since I don't memorize the part names.

I liked the old one because it looked like the High-Gain Antenna of the Galileo probe. I think both versions should be in the game.

Edited by Canopus

The old one

e52Cfzh3a8.png

The new one

FL1nf9rYpO.png

New one has awesome deployment animation

Edited by Corw

Though I love the new one, its too big for some of the tiny satellites which I use. I'd much rather have them both in game because of the massive size difference. :)

Is the antenna off center intentionally in the picture? Or does it deploy that way? I am hopping the former and not the later. Otherwise it is going to make it difficult for some of my probes (see comment early about Galileo style high gain antenna).

It would be cool to have both a larger version and a smaller version.

On balance though I am glad they changed it up the way they did as the older version was more often too small than right sized for my ships (only really worked on probes).

So, are there any functional differences in the different antennas? Power/science differences? Or is it all cosmetic right now?

I believe the bigger/better ones transmit the data in bigger chunks thereby using less power? Not 100% sure but that seems to be what the info in the VAB was leaning towards.

The new one looks nice. But it seems to open up from an amazingly small package.

I have noticed that when you have a ship from a previous save game, the old dish is replaced by the new one (of course), but on the old ships the new antenna does not have the ability to retract. othing to complain about there (the old one couldn't retract at all), but it seemed odd that the retraction function did not get added when the part updated.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.