[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

Installed a couple of days ago and loving it. But the 2.5m heat shield seems to be missing from my install. It doesn't appear in the tech tree or the VAB, not even on sandbox. I looked in GameData and found that the deadlyReentry_2.5Heatshield folder contains a model.mu, a model000.mbm and a part.cfg, but not the model000.png and model001.png files that the other 3 heatshield part folders seem to have. I downloaded a fresh .zip file and no dice. Any ideas? Thanks all!

Installed a couple of days ago and loving it. But the 2.5m heat shield seems to be missing from my install. It doesn't appear in the tech tree or the VAB, not even on sandbox. I looked in GameData and found that the deadlyReentry_2.5Heatshield folder contains a model.mu, a model000.mbm and a part.cfg, but not the model000.png and model001.png files that the other 3 heatshield part folders seem to have. I downloaded a fresh .zip file and no dice. Any ideas? Thanks all!

model000.mbm is its texture file

You should be finding it under the structural tab. No idea why you are not.

Try looking for it again in case you missed it; if you don't find it, post your output_log.txt file from KSP_Data folder. Or if you're on Linux/Mac, post player.log

Do not under any circumstances post ksp.log or you will be laughed at.

use dropbox or pastebin to post the log.

Thanks so much for looking into this, Starwaster. I can't go to dropbox or pastebin from where I am right now, but will do so later. This may be the relevant part of my output_log:

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'DeadlyReentryCont_v4.7/DeadlyReentry/Parts/deadlyReentry_2.5Heatshield/part/2.5_Heatshield'

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d3d49558e4d408f4/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 53)

PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'DeadlyReentry/Parts/deadlyReentry_2.5Heatshield/model' as model does not exist

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d3d49558e4d408f4/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 53)

PartCompiler: Model was not compiled correctly

PartCompiler: Cannot compile model

PartCompiler: Cannot compile part

Also, on looking into the part cfg files, I see that the 2.5m heatshield is by a different programmer (nhnifong) than the others (bobcat) and was done in a different style.

Will post the rest of the output and msg you when it's done--again, thanks for the help!

Whoops! It's all fixed. Trouble was I installed with an upper-level folder that did not need to be there. I re-ordered the folders and it all works now. And now, back to space. Really appreciate Starwaster pointing me to the right files to examine, and being willing to look through them for me.

Whoops! It's all fixed. Trouble was I installed with an upper-level folder that did not need to be there. I re-ordered the folders and it all works now. And now, back to space. Really appreciate Starwaster pointing me to the right files to examine, and being willing to look through them for me.

no problem! glad you got it sorted

Hey Nathan!

So I came across a weapons mod, the Skillful mod from InfiniteDice, and I have had some issues related to heating that may or may not be attributed to using Deadly Reentry along with it; Skillful as you may know uses a "Temperature" based damage system, where parts can catch fire and explode and such, and seems to conflict with your own Temperature system. Usually what happens is I'll be flying along, when suddenly parts will either catch fire and explode or "Reach G-Limit," when the G-meter reads under 5G.

So in my endeavors to figure out what is actually causing what, I've come to both your thread, as well as ID's, to see what I could potentially do to alleviate this, as well as notify you of the incompatibility that might be related to the two mods.

Yeah, I was talking to InfiniteDice about this. Can you give any more detail on your situation? How fast were you going at the time?

Here's what IDSkill does:

if (this.part.temperature > (this.part.maxTemp * 0.8f))

{

this.targetIsBurning = true;

}

I left a message for ID in his thread about making that '0.8f' configurable. Should be a very easy fix.

Here's a small question for everyone:

I'm putting together a simple MM patch to be included in my FusTek Station Parts, and my intention is that, since these are meant to emulate the USOS style modules on the ISS, they are obviously not to survive atmospheric re-entry (unless covered in a heat shield / shroud).

What are some good values to ensure they overheat and explode consistently during re-entry?

Note that you'll easily hit that on ascent, which will necessitate fairings. You might want something more like 800. Although the issue here is that Kerbin's orbital speed is so low, compared to the speed you hit while in low atmosphere, that it's hard to pick a good number...

Also, three cheers for mod makers adding their own configs, rather than relying on DRE doing it! Thanks, sumghai :)

Note that you'll easily hit that on ascent, which will necessitate fairings. You might want something more like 800. Although the issue here is that Kerbin's orbital speed is so low, compared to the speed you hit while in low atmosphere, that it's hard to pick a good number...

Ah, I see - I'll try a couple of different values and see what works best. Thanks for the heads-up :)

Also, three cheers for mod makers adding their own configs, rather than relying on DRE doing it! Thanks, sumghai :)

No worries!

Having grown accustomed to DREC, as well as the ease of implementing / maintaining ModuleManager patches compared to hard-coded CFG edits, I had been meaning to do it for quite some time.

First of all, DR is working perfect for me, with one exception:

I tried the first time the Inflatable 6.25m heatshield on an 10t craft, but for some strange reason the craft turns upside down when inflate the shield during reentry.

I tried to increase the mass and/or the drag of the heatshield, but it doesn't make it better.

Is there any known solution for this?

Not a bug. Vessels in flight stabilize such that CoM is in front of aerodynamic center (KSP "CoL"). If the shield is draggy enough that it places the AC below the CoM, then the craft will stabilize with the shield at the rear.

You're going to need to put something draggy at the other end of the vessel, or vastly increase the mass of the vessel at its lowest point, or both.

Not a bug. Vessels in flight stabilize such that CoM is in front of aerodynamic center (KSP "CoL"). If the shield is draggy enough that it places the AC below the CoM, then the craft will stabilize with the shield at the rear.

You're going to need to put something draggy at the other end of the vessel, or vastly increase the mass of the vessel at its lowest point, or both.

On that note, are there plans to make a reentry parachute for just that purpose?

On that note, are there plans to make a reentry parachute for just that purpose?

Thx, maybe thats achievable with RealCute, will try that tomorrow.

I dont agree. The inflatable chute has WAY too much stock drag inflated and has no FAR configuration. It has 5 drag inflated. Nothing should be set that high. I have an alternate donfig I'll submit later. sorry bout double post

Edit: Patch file for the inflatable. Still grants a lot of increased drag befitting an inflatable shield (which is meant to assist in aerobraking as well as thermal protection) but not to the point that it flips.

So, what did I change...

base maximum_drag / minimum_drag set to 0.2

base angularDrag set to 0.2

maxTemp reduced to 2600 down from 10000. So now you have to treat it like an actual heat shield and make sure your reentry angle is shallow enough.

Inflation only increases drag to 1, which is still 5 times most stock drag values.

inflated angularDrag has been set to 5 to offset the increased inflated drag value and make it easier to keep shield oriented.

base heat shield reflection value reduced to 0.02 in order to match the value used in ModuleAnimation2Value's valueCurve

DREC_inflatable.tweak.cfg

@PART[6.25_Heatshield]:NEEDS[DeadlyReentry]:FINAL
{
@maximum_drag = 0.2
@minimum_drag = 0.2
@angularDrag = 2.0
@maxTemp = 2600

@MODULE[ModuleAnimation2Value],0
{
@valueCurve
{
@key,0 = 0 0.2
@key,1 = 0.8 0.5
@key,2 = 1.0 1.0
}
}
@MODULE[ModuleAnimation2Value],1
{
@valueCurve
{
@key,0 = 0 0.2
@key,1 = 0.8 0.5
@key,2 = 1.0 1.0
}
}
@MODULE[ModuleHeatShield]
{
@reflective = 0.02 // Make sure initial value matches uninflated value used by ModuleAnimation2Value
}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleAnimation2Value
animationName = heatshield
valueName = angularDrag
valueCurve
{
key = 0 2
key = 1 5
}
}