[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

I too just had a small craft totally unsuitable for reentry survive the atmospheric fires. It had no shielding at all, reached 930C peak, and made it intact to splashdown. 48-7S, FL-T200, small solar panel, small radial battery, and docking coupler.

The weird thing about my return was not so much that it survived (though that was unexpected), but that it was not actually getting any re-entry heat at all apparently. Totally engulfed in re-entry effects, and the temp was still showing as -11C. Structural girders seem to behave...oddly.

But - what is the practical value of fixing such an edge case in a mod that aims to simulate violent reentries?

As I said, IRL, the smaller temperature difference the slower it changes, which is not the case, and I ask if objects cool down too quickly.

Hi, I am making a DRE part that is very fragile to impact, but not on gforce. The problem is that if I reduce impact tolerance, I reduce the g force tolerance also, which I dont want. I have seen the gToleranceMult in custom.cfg but I cant get it to work for only my part.

Is there a way to increase tolerance for just one part?

If you're playing on default sized Kerbin, and want a gamey feel with challenging reentries (but not crazily so) I'd recommend looking back a few pages for some of my tweaked values. After a lot of experimentation and testing, I'm working on an shockwaveExponent of 1.09 (I find 1.08 to be rather too easy with a lot of stock parts surviving reentry unshielded), and have tweaked a number of the ablative shields already to match as I work on my own career progression mod that has DR as a required install to go along with it. When adjusting the exponent, you also have to adjust the heat shield values as while it will make reentry trickier, and cause regular parts to burn up on reentry, it will also make the default heat shield values almost entirely ineffective.

Still working on that on additional tweaking, and I'll make my values for the other shields known here as I get to them in my own mod's tech progression.

Edited by FlowerChild

I assume you're using FAR. I don't use FAR and want to turn up the SWE. Do you think 1.09 or 1.08 would be too much?

If you're playing on default sized Kerbin, and want a gamey feel with challenging reentries (but not crazily so) I'd recommend looking back a few pages for some of my tweaked values. After a lot of experimentation and testing, I'm working on an shockwaveExponent of 1.09 (I find 1.08 to be rather too easy with a lot of stock parts surviving reentry unshielded), and have tweaked a number of the ablative shields already to match as I work on my own career progression mod that has DR as a required install to go along with it. When adjusting the exponent, you also have to adjust the heat shield values as while it will make reentry trickier, and cause regular parts to burn up on reentry, it will also make the default heat shield values almost entirely ineffective.

Still working on that on additional tweaking, and I'll make my values for the other shields known here as I get to them in my own mod's tech progression.

nothke: not yet. I was planning to add it though, and I'll push that higher up the todo list; it'll be in the next DREC.

Thanks, I have finished modeling a TPS pack and now Im adjusting config. I need the reinforced carbon carbon pieces to be very fragile.

As soon as you publish an update with gtolerance, Ill publish the parts =)

And sorry for triple post i am using an old phone and it didnt say I was resubmitting the post on refresh =(

Sweet!

Hey, a request: can you do them in even-meter sizes too? I'm releasing a big Realism Tweaks mod that has the pods at their RL scale (2m and 4m)...

Nathan, you can very easily scale existing part models to create new parts with a different radius. This is actually a trick I picked up in the DR part file for the 0.625m heat shield :)

For example, in my mod I have batteries which are using the stock Xenon tank model rescaled. In the part files I just have this:

MODEL

{

model = Squad/Parts/FuelTank/xenonTank/model
scale = 2.0, 1.0, 2.0
}

Which turns the 0.625m model into a 1.25m (vertically thin, hence the 1.0 on the y axis) one. Depending on the part you may also have to rescale the attachment nodes to match the new part size.

Anyways, just thought I'd pass that along in case it helps you out with your part rescaling in general.

Edited by FlowerChild

Oh, and one other thing worth mentioning:

Earlier today one of the members on my forums put up a detailed explanation of how ablative shielding works in response to the concerns I raised here about them mostly burning off at low altitude and serving to rapidly decrease part temperature.

I suspect it'll be of interest to you, so you can find it here:

http://www.sargunster.com/btwforum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8146&start=375#p136411

Based on this, it does indeed sound like the DR ablative shielding is working correctly.

Could anyone help me modify the .cfg to something harder? I went to the mun and then just escaped the SOI for a kerbin encounter with a periapsis of 30 000km, meaning I was at around 3100m/s when I got into the atmosphere. I had no problems at all, the heatshield went up to 1/3 of the bar. Seems a little too easy (FOR ME).

Even with the shockwave exponent set to 1.17 using real sized kerbin, with all other settings default, all of my launches get overheated on ascent and explode. Is this piloting error with me turning too early in atmosphere, or do I have something set wrong?

Sweet!

Hey, a request: can you do them in even-meter sizes too? I'm releasing a big Realism Tweaks mod that has the pods at their RL scale (2m and 4m)...

I am working in 1.0 scale and then I rescale to 1.25 in .cfg, so you can also just rescale in cfg to whatever you scale you need

Also would it be possible to incorporate a texture swapper, like the one snjo made for firespitter, that switches texture according to ablation level? I made some nice before/after textures, but I am using snjo's plugin for now so the player needs to switch them manually.

Nathan, you can very easily scale existing part models to create new parts with a different radius. This is actually a trick I picked up in the DR part file for the 0.625m heat shield :)

For example, in my mod I have batteries which are using the stock Xenon tank model rescaled. In the part files I just have this:

MODEL

{

model = Squad/Parts/FuelTank/xenonTank/model
scale = 2.0, 1.0, 2.0
}

Which turns the 0.625m model into a 1.25m (vertically thin, hence the 1.0 on the y axis) one. Depending on the part you may also have to rescale the attachment nodes to match the new part size.

Anyways, just thought I'd pass that along in case it helps you out with your part rescaling in general.

this is a more complicated method because you scale the model separately from the attachment points, so then you need to rescale them too.

If you want to rescale the entire part (for example twice), it is just enough to type in:

rescaleFactor = 2.5

this will rescale both the model and the attachments, super useful.

it's 2.5 because the basic rescaleFactor is always 1.25, unless it is specified, for example rescaleFactor = 1.0, in what case 2.0 would be the double

Just be sure not to confuse it with "Scale" which scales the attachment points

I do use the MODEL method* for the 0.625m heatshield in DRE (and rescaleFactor for the UP99s), and I've spent the last few days duplicating like 80% of stock parts along with Medieval Nerd. What the question was more about was (a) it's not polite, even if the license allows [which many don't] to release rescaled versions of a modder's parts, and (B) hoping you (nothke) would do the work for me. :]

*Note that as IIRC Greys found out, due to a bug in the code, rescaleFactor is applied twice to each scale axis in the MODEL node. So for any rescaleFactor r, you need a line scale = 1/r, 1/r, 1/r in the MODEL. Otherwise you'll need to use rF = 1.0 and move the nodes yourself (scale = x is unreliable).

OP Edited with clarifying remarks on shockwave exponent. When I do finally release the Realism Tweaks pack (it includes tweaked heatshields) I will add the link.

A question. When using this with FAR re-entries are much easier, how can I tweak it to provide more of a challenge? There is a post in the previous page from FC, but I don't know if he used FAR before testing.

Edited by Dante80

Hi NathanKell,

there are things still exploding and "burning up" on the launchpad. Would you like to have a deeper look in it? It's happen only from time to time and immediately after the "black loading screen". (So the physics has _not_ kicked in at this time.

Is there a list of planets and moons in ksp, somewhere online or someone can provide, that gives me an idea of each one of their Deadliness I guess for reentry. Like something in advance before traveling there, I can prepare my landing parts with heat shields or not. I am fairly a noob with this mod.

As the user before me, I am also a noob at this mod. I have the following problem: Deadly Reentry is too deadly for m! :rolleyes: Whether I come in to the atmosphere of Kerbin with only a MkI capsule and a heatshield or with some science stuff attached, I always explode.. (And yes I am pointing my shield to 'the flames'.).

I come in from a 100-120km orbit with a periapsis of about 22-30km. Scott Manley did this in his latest video series as well, and he managed to "not explode".. Still, when I reach around 25-30 km altitude (about 2000 m orbital velocity) my shield overheats and blows up. The temperature is about 1000 degrees Celsius then.

My question: Am I doing something wrong (angle or something like that) or I the mod somehow set wrong in my game?

If I am doing something wrong, can you then suggest me what to do to make it work? I really like a challenge, but this I cannot do.

Thanks in advance.