[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

Damn, I just installed RSS and tried to send my heavy lifter up but it only got to 122km before dropping back down again. Will stock parts still work in RSS? I used a 6.25m main with 8x asperagus and 2 smaller stages and couldn't even get a 3-man capsule in a 200km orbit. Normally this combo could send a 6 man crew to Duna and back. Wow.

Jimbodiah: Real life orbit takes about 9.3km/sec of vacuum delta V from KSC, assuming a fairly sane time-to-orbit/TWR. If your ascent is suboptimal, or TWRs are low, you might need upwards of 9.8km/sec.

You certainly need more than the 3.3km/sec or so that Kerbin does. :P

Not sure if this is a bug report or a "my computer sucks" report, but I simply cannot get Realism Overhaul to load. Either my KSP crashes, freezes on a black start screen with the "loading" thing spinning, or my whole computer goes down.

Specs:
i5 @2.7GHz
8GB 1333 DDR3 RAM
generic SSD
Integrated graphics :rolleyes:
Integrated audo + crap speaker
1366*768 laptop monitor

Usually have YouTube open in another window. Edited by MAFman

[quote name='Jimbodiah']Whu...what??? do you need special parts packs for that?[/QUOTE]

Generally users of Real Solar System will also install Realism Overhaul and its suite of mods, which basically act collectively as a total conversion for KSP.

Stock engines are woefully underpowered and stock tanks are woefully heavy compared to their real-life counterparts

As above. Don't use RSS without RO. It's like tryin to swim in jelly.

Saying that, once you have ro/rss up and running and are designing rockets with a purpose rather than "get to orbit - more booster" "get to kerbol - more boosters", it's immensely satisfying and tough to go back to stock.

Of course, there's a lot more to think about with a full setup. FAR means your aerodynamics have to be reasonably ok. Life support is required if you want your herbals to last more than a day. RCS has to positioned correctly and fueled or you'll be trying to turn a house with pedal power. Remote tech requires active connections to a mission control if you want anything more than manned flights (and sciencey stuff). If you're not doing career and are happy to man everything then remote tech becomes more a role play thing. I personally am setting up a "thing" where new missions and exploration are done unmanned for "safety" reasons. NASA wouldn't send men to Uranus without probes and science first. All of it is worth it.

Last rocket I sent up needed 18kdv for a gto with multiple satellites (3), 16 hour orbit and an inclination change from 28 to 0. Also return journey.

Side note, trying to start a video series when I get everything working well. Edited by Pronoes

OK, just installed the entire overhaul suite through CKAN, I see a lot of tanks and engines were upgraded in size/thrust and also modded to real-fuels (SSTU is one of my favorites, used to go up to 6.25 now to 10m). Will make some new rockets and see how they do :) Now to make my hangars bigger.

[quote name='Jimbodiah']OK, just installed the entire overhaul suite through CKAN, I see a lot of tanks and engines were upgraded in size/thrust and also modded to real-fuels (SSTU is one of my favorites, used to go up to 6.25 now to 10m). Will make some new rockets and see how they do :) Now to make my hangars bigger.[/QUOTE]

Hangar Extender is your solution, I think it comes with RO as maybe one of the optionals

[quote name='MAFman']Not sure if this is a bug report or a "my computer sucks" report, but I simply cannot get Realism Overhaul to load. Either my KSP crashes, freezes on a black start screen with the "loading" thing spinning, or my whole computer goes down.

Specs:
i5 @2.7GHz
8GB 1333 DDR3 RAM
generic SSD
1366*768 laptop monitor

Usually have YouTube open in another window.[/QUOTE]
literally just had the same problem and came to see what the issue is. Your computer doesn't suck because my computer rocks. I'm only using reccomended mods too so.... whats up? does this not work for 1.0.5?

i'm not using RO. I'm using my own mod selection from the RO list. All updated 1.0.5 mods. The problem seems to only exist when kopernicus is in my game data folder.
I'm using mods like
real fuels, remote tech, FAR, SPACEY, Tweak scale, and USI LS/MKS, also procedural parts and KJR.

Never had problem like this before, it's a straight black screen with the rotating ksp loading logo. All mods work perfectly untill I add kopernicus/RSS. Any one have an answer?

[COLOR="silver"][SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Heres a list of my mods, http://i.imgur.com/aLKf0DN.png and heres a picture of the error.http://i.imgur.com/6yVFufT.png
literally one of the smallest modlists i've ever had playing this game. What am I missing?

[quote name='MAFman']Not sure if this is a bug report or a "my computer sucks" report, but I simply cannot get Realism Overhaul to load. Either my KSP crashes, freezes on a black start screen with the "loading" thing spinning, or my whole computer goes down.

Specs:
i5 @2.7GHz
8GB 1333 DDR3 RAM
generic SSD
1366*768 laptop monitor

Usually have YouTube open in another window.[/QUOTE]

If you have installed all the recommended & required mods then it means that you exceeded the 3.5 GiB RAM limit of KSP. Either remove part mods, reduce the texture quality and/or use OpenGL mode.

[quote name='Phineas Freak']If you have installed all the recommended & required mods then it means that you exceeded the 3.5 GiB RAM limit of KSP. Either remove part mods, reduce the texture quality and/or use OpenGL mode.[/QUOTE]

That's not gonna work. I just tried launching it with ONLY RSS/Kopernicus installed. As well as module manager. Same problem.
Here's a screenshot of all 3 mods I have installed. still rotating endlessly [URL]http://i.imgur.com/nWrv1sw.jpg[/URL]

edit: I knew I was borderline ......... I'm sure it's just the textures I forgot to install. Edited by LuvSicGrl

[quote name='LuvSicGrl']That's not gonna work. I just tried launching it with ONLY RSS/Kopernicus installed. As well as module manager. Same problem.
Here's a screenshot of all 3 mods I have installed. still rotating endlessly [url]http://i.imgur.com/nWrv1sw.jpg[/url][/QUOTE]

Maybe you just need to wait for the cache to be created

Sorry guys, but I'm outta RSS... Kraken issues out the whazoo, nothing will make it past 100km height, even 20K dV launchers with 45K (TWR 3+) thrust don't make it past 60-80km with just a 3-man capsule on top, 8 booster asperagus with 4K dV added. If it doesn't shake apart before igniting engines and adding 50 struts, it just will not make orbit. I made over 50 attempts from very tiny rockets to 10m mains with eight 5m asperagus boosters strapped on. It's like I need 40-50k dV to get into a 100km orbit.

[quote name='Jimbodiah'] nothing will make it past 100km height, even 20K dV launchers with 45K (TWR 3+) thrust don't make it past 60-80km [/QUOTE]

There is definitely something wrong going on. Did you install RO? I have started by following this tutorial: [URL]https://github.com/KSP-RO/RP-0/wiki/Tutorial:-Reaching-Orbit[/URL] and had no problem reaching orbit. As NathanKell pointed out, 9.3k dV is the optimal, and something around 10k is a good start for beginners launching from KSC (or Kourou if you prefer more flexibility in inclination).

Hi everybody,
I have the same problem like [B]LuvSicGrl.[/B] Please find bellow the end of my log. Does anybody have an idea of the problem, pls ? Small precision, I have only RSS installed.
Thanks in advance for your help ! :-)

"...
[LOG 15:22:57.623] AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'AtmosphereFixer' from assembly 'Kopernicus'
[LOG 15:22:57.624] AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'Injector' from assembly 'Kopernicus'
[LOG 15:22:58.787] AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'TimeWarpFixer' from assembly 'RealSolarSystem'
[LOG 15:22:58.788] AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'RSSWatchDog' from assembly 'RealSolarSystem'
[LOG 15:22:58.827]
[LOG 15:22:58.835] Agent: Found 18 agent mentality types
[LOG 15:22:58.837] AgentList: 27 agents parsed and loaded.
[LOG 15:22:58.854] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[WRN 15:22:58.910] HighlightingSystem : Framebuffer depth data is not available and can't be used to occlude highlighting. Highlighting occluders enabled.
[LOG 15:22:58.918] [Kopernicus]: Post-Spawn
[LOG 15:22:58.919] Found max distance 4533842039085.04
[EXC 15:22:58.922] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
Kopernicus.Injector.PostSpawnFixups ()
EventVoid.Fire ()
PSystemManager+.MoveNext ()
[LOG 15:22:58.923] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[LOG 15:22:58.924] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[LOG 15:22:58.924] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[ERR 15:22:58.930] PSystemSetup: Cannot find PQS of name 'Kerbin'!

[LOG 15:22:58.930] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[LOG 15:22:58.943] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[LOG 15:22:58.959] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[LOG 15:22:58.959] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[LOG 15:22:58.960] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[LOG 15:22:58.975] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[LOG 15:22:58.975] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[LOG 15:22:58.976] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[LOG 15:22:58.992] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[LOG 15:22:58.992] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[LOG 15:22:58.993] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[LOG 15:22:59.008] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[LOG 15:22:59.008] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[LOG 15:22:59.009] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[LOG 15:22:59.026] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[LOG 15:22:59.042] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[LOG 15:22:59.042] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[LOG 15:22:59.043] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[LOG 15:22:59.059] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[LOG 15:22:59.075] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
"

[quote name='Pepito']Hi everybody,
I have the same problem like [B]LuvSicGrl.[/B] Please find bellow the end of my log. Does anybody have an idea of the problem, pls ? Small precision, I have only RSS installed.
Thanks in advance for your help ! :-)
[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=#333333]@Pepito. You didn't follow instructions and are missing a texture pack.[/COLOR]

[quote name='StoryMusgrave'][COLOR=#333333]@Pepito. You didn't follow instructions and are missing a texture pack.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Mmmm...You are right. I had downloaded it but I have missed to install it...so stupid... :-( So It's working fine now ! thank you !

[COLOR=#333333][I]Hello Nathankell, i found two bugs on RSS. First, can you put Alcantara Space Center, Brazil, Vanderberg, USA, Hawaii (Super Strypi launchpad). Second, when i going to land on moon, with mechjeb, the craft is impacting on the moon, because the ground is inside of the moon, no in the surface.[/I][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333][I]Thats only this. Bye[/I][/COLOR]:wink::wink::wink::wink:

Hi there,

I just realized that RSS had switched to Kopernicus, and therefore was no more compatible with my old alternative colors file for RSS that I used to include with my releases of PlanetShine.
However with Kopernicus it's much easier, because it's creating new celestial bodies instead of just retexturing the stock ones like RSS used to do before.

I took some time to create a custom config file for the latest version of RSS, adding the new bodies (Dione, Enceladus, Iapetus, Mimas, Neptune, Rhea, Tethys, Triton) and updating those that changed texture color (Pluto, Titan, Venus).
To make it work, simply add [URL="https://raw.githubusercontent.com/valerian/RealSolarSystem/master/GameData/RealSolarSystem/Compatibility/PlanetShineColors.cfg"]PlanetShineColors.cfg[/URL] to "GameData/RealSolarSystem/Compatibility/", it will be automatically be loaded by PlanetShine.

I sent you a pull request as well for it to be included in the next RSS release: [URL]https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealSolarSystem/pull/45[/URL]