[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

Well, Pluto looks the same - impossibru to land.

Just at the poles or all over?

Also, this is obviously some sort of noise/randomization error with the terrain, but apparently there actually are places kind of like this IRL :kiss:

A good start might be to see if any planets or moons don't have this issue at the poles, and then try to see how their file/data structures are configured differently. I'll start poking around with that when I get some time.

Also, are you using KSP 0.9 as well, or the newer versions?

- - - Updated - - -

actually in the current RSS atmosphere stops at 130km whereafter everything should stay the same (?)

N-body dynamics or microdragging or something - I think there was some mod that simulated microdragging, which is what this sounds like. Just a vague thing off the top of my head, though, but something to consider.

---

Can confirm that some planets - at least Earth - work just fine at the poles:

(This is Antarctica)

9O1aN7K.jpg

Edited by Comet Tail

Just at the poles or all over?

Also, are you using KSP 0.9 as well, or the newer versions?

-

I tried current version of course, there was no Pluto in 0.90 as I remember. I found extraordinary forest of peaks closer to the equator of Pluto, there was no flats for dozens of kilometers.

I suggest installing via CKAN, that makes it very easy. :)

Thanks, but CKAN crashes my computer for some reason. Where would I put the texture .zip/folder and which one(I'm using 2048-bit texture on a Mac, if that helps.) I really want to play with this mod; it seems amazing!

You should end up with a "RealSolarSystem" folder that contains configs and such, and an "RSS-Textures" folder with the textures for the planets. (You will also have a "RSSTextures" folder, without the hyphen, if you use RSS Planets & Moons Expanded.)

There is a Compatibility folder and a Plugins folder, plus a few files ending in .dll, .version, and .cfg.

That should all be living in the RealSolarSystem folder, which goes into the GameData folder (alongside the Squad folder, and any other mods you install).

Those are all that's in the RealSolarSystem folder. No RSS-Textures folder. Should I make a folder named RSS-Textures?

That's what I was missing! What folder should I put it in? Cause when I put it in the RealSolarSystem folder, this happens: http://imgur.com/xJCGvug
Right into your gamedata folder. When you open the zip find the RSS-Textures folder Mr. Kerbas was referring to and drop that in the main gamedata folder all the rest of your mods are in. Good luck! =)

Are there still anomalies (like the Mun arches) in RSS? I'm not asking where or what they are, just whether it's a waste of time to look for them.

The stock game fixes them in position, so they are far beneath the surface in RSS.

On a side note:

Is there a fix for the ball-in-planet glitch in map view, when using Real Solar system?

The stock game fixes them in position, so they are far beneath the surface in RSS.

On a side note:

Is there a fix for the ball-in-planet glitch in map view, when using Real Solar system?

Except that they're PQS so it is technically possible to move them, just nobody does it.

Is this a known glitch? it seems that inside each planet there is a really bright object, and that at some point the surface of the planet, that covers this really bright object, disapears, and then reapears when we get under a certain altitude.

http://imgur.com/a/7Pqqm

That's the atmospheric haze. Usually it's only visible above the horizon, but if you can get the camera inside the terrain or if the terrain glitches so that it vanishes for any reason then you can see the atmosphere glow

Hello, could you give me various short term and large term objectives for the mod.

Eg: Satellite in orbit, Satellite in GEO, Probe to the moon, Moon landing....

Thanks! I've just started (just got a satellite on orbit following the tutorial)

That's the atmospheric haze. Usually it's only visible above the horizon, but if you can get the camera inside the terrain or if the terrain glitches so that it vanishes for any reason then you can see the atmosphere glow

Thank you, so no way to fix it...

Hello, could you give me various short term and large term objectives for the mod.

Eg: Satellite in orbit, Satellite in GEO, Probe to the moon, Moon landing....

Thanks! I've just started (just got a satellite on orbit following the tutorial)

Are you using the realism overhaul pack?

If you are using remote tech, the first thing to do is establish a stable satelite network in GEO, so you can have 100% uptime comms in the LEO (nothing is more frustrating that a cut in comms while your are circularising, but you can avoid that by using srb for the last boost, they will not shut down if you lose comms). But before this you would idealy want to design a series of different launcher able to put x kg in GOE and x kg in LOE, that you will use again for all your next launch. It saves a lot of time.

After, if you need ideas of what to do, I recommend reproducing some space exploration missions (moon, mars, etc...).

When you are familiar with realism overhaul difficulty, try to do the same but with automated system (smart parts and KOS). Although, last time I tried KOS with the realism overhaul pack, it was known that anything doing with the rocket gimbaling was not working. Maybe it is fixed now.

At the moment, I'm designing a maned mars mission, first sending the stuff that will allow them to return home. I'm at the stage of calculating at which speed I will touch ground (depending on the parachutes and the mass), and what power my retrorocket need and for how long they need to burn to make it touch the ground at 1m/s (making it all automated), needs to be very precise.

Edited by Pro7ech

Please excuse my ignorance or asking the obvious. I have only been playing KSP for about a month and been having whole lot of fun. Yes, I have used mods and I am currently going to start a new Career and wanted to do one with RSS.

I never used any mods that "altered" anything before. I mainly used mods like K. Engineer, KAC, KAS, KIS, etc.

Are there any mods that I should avoid?

Please excuse my ignorance or asking the obvious. I have only been playing KSP for about a month and been having whole lot of fun. Yes, I have used mods and I am currently going to start a new Career and wanted to do one with RSS.

I never used any mods that "altered" anything before. I mainly used mods like K. Engineer, KAC, KAS, KIS, etc.

Are there any mods that I should avoid?

You will want to avoid carrer mod for now. It is quite hard to install and very hard to succed if you are not really well trained with Realism Overhaul (also the stock carrier mod will not be designed for the new game mechanics, you will need to install mods to make it viable)

I suggest that you go visite the Realism Overhaul page. RSS resises everything, you will need 9000m/s deltaV to get to Low Earth Orbit (LOE), in normal ksp usually its enough to get anywhere in the solar system. The difference is pretty big. So in addition to using RSS, you need to change the engine and fuel physics.

Realism Overhaul does everything for you. On the first page it will offer you madatory mods (you need them to run Realism overhaul), recommanded mods (should install all if you want to get a nice experience). And optional mods for additional parts, mainly for engines and life qualify when building rockets. Maybe you want to avoid remote tech for now, its quite annoying if you are just looking to get used to the pure mechanics.

All in all, visit the Realism Overhaul page, follow the instructions (don't forget to also install the realism overhaul plugin in addition to the listed mods), launch the game and play with sandbox.

Hey @pro7ech - thank you for the reply and the information. I did install RSS via ckan and picked the medium resolution textures, ran KSP and wow! It all looks amazing.

Now, to be completely honest with you, this is a big step for me and the suggested other mods, are well - overwhelming to say the least.

Are you stating that I cannot run a KSP careers mod with just RSS installed? [which, I guess makes sense, as you can't land on the Mun, but I would have thought that where would have been new contracts, etc.]

I suppose, the bottom line is wipe the slate clean and when I install RSS [via ckan] to go with the recommended and learn and I go?