[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

Could anyone here give me tips on making a Manned Lunar Orbiter? I've managed to get into orbit (albeit with F12 menu as I somehow underengineered the rocket.) I messed around with a procedural fuel tank with 2.5m diameter and a Poodle engine, and when I made the tank even 41m in length it wasn't enough DV to go and get back from Munar orbit. Though I might be being an idiot with the DV map, as I'm counting the Geostationary transfer, which may be my problem.

Anyone have tips for making rockets?

Could anyone here give me tips on making a Manned Lunar Orbiter? I've managed to get into orbit (albeit with F12 menu as I somehow underengineered the rocket.) I messed around with a procedural fuel tank with 2.5m diameter and a Poodle engine, and when I made the tank even 41m in length it wasn't enough DV to go and get back from Munar orbit. Though I might be being an idiot with the DV map, as I'm counting the Geostationary transfer, which may be my problem.

Anyone have tips for making rockets?

Heh. Again I don't know how SMURFF works in relation to Realism Overhaul... but keep in mind that the original Saturn V + Apollo was *massive*. 110m high, 10m wide, weighing 3000 tons, to get three men to the Moon. A tad more than your measly 41m x 2.5m rocket :) While getting into low Earth orbit is "easily" doable considering you need about 10 km/s of dV, getting to the Moon and back requires another 7 km/s or so... and that does not include the lander and its fuel to get to the surface and back (another 5 km/s). So in total we're talking about 22 km/s of dV, plus all the additional hardware for landing, plus of course you need to lift all that from the ground. Twice. So, yeah. A rocket getting you to the Moon and back will be *much* bigger than one that just goes into LEO. Space travel is hard, and there's a reason why Apollo was prematurely canceled and noone went back to the Moon since :)

Funnily enough, getting to Mars does not require much more delta-V (although landing and take-off are more challenging). The Falcon Heavy is half the size and mass of the Saturn V, and able to get 14 tons to Mars (but not back)...

Realism Overhaul actually comes with a Saturn V replica that seems to be pretty close to the original. I'm currently on a mission to recreate the Apollo flights using that thing, and so far I could just follow official NASA material for flight trajectories etc, with the fuel just being enough for every step (as it should be), and travel times etc. pretty much in line with the real missions. I have yet to land on the Moon to see if the LEM behaves like reality as well, though :)

Hey! I am getting lag in RSS games when my part count goes anywhere above 50. Horrible FPS lag - the higher it goes over 50, the worse FPS I get. However, when I am on the pad, lagging around - and I enter non-physical time warp, my framerate jumps back up to 60 (with the big part count rocket and all) and it looks amazing. It seems only when the physics kick in are high-part count ships REALLY lagging me - and this only happens on RSS games. Any reason why this may be? Is it a Unity limitation? I wouldn't think so...I don't see much evidence of this anywhere else, and I would think people get pretty peeved when they cant render more than 50 parts without bad framerate lag.

*EDIT*

I forgot to mention that my CPU is varying between 18 and 22 percent during all of this - lag or not, so that isn't the issue.

Does the issue occur with Real Solar System only? No Realism Overhaul or anything else, just RSS.

And if you're using Windows then Windows reports CPU usage as a percentage of all cores. KSP can only heavily use one core at a time so you won't see 100% usage.

Ah, sorry, lunar orbit. Then you can scratch DOI/Landing, and Ascent. That leaves just TLI at 3300, LOI (Lunar Orbit Insertion) at 900, and Trans-Earth Injection at 900 (maaaaybe 700, it depends). 1900m/s (including some headroom) implies 7.5 tons of propellant for every ten tons of payload and engine/tank structure (a mass ratio of 1.75 to 1) assuming your engine can manage 345s in vacuum.

Certainly you shouldn't be trying to combine TLI and lunar orbit ops; your TLI stage should either be combined with your upper stage, or be entirely sepearate (i.e. anywhere from 2-4 stages to lunar transfer orbit, then 1 stage for capture and return).

I did it! I made orbit without cheating! It cost the life of Tedbree on the first three attempts, but his brother, Shepmund fulfilled his promise to succeed where his brother failed, and not only got the rocket more than a few meters into the sky but also got it all the way into orbit without it shattering into a million pieces!

The reason it was breaking apart was because I didn't strut it, and thought it was the launch pad's fault because it might've been spawned slightly above or slightly below the ground.

Posted a story of the mission to the Fanworks sub-forum.

hey! it would be awesome if there could be another launch site at: 69.295089, 16.030014 (cordinates) also a launch site.

AlphaEpic11 is more easy you think to add new location ;) for that goo/serch for KSCSwitcher directory then open LaunchSites.cfg with notepad preferabil with notepad plus & edit code you can look yourself in that file & figure how to do it, or ask Regex who is developer of KSC Switcher to implement that ;)

Site

{

name = AlphaEpic11

displayName = AlphaEpic11

description = describe what you like on this location ....

PQSCity

{

KEYname = KSC

latitude = 37.833755 // edit your location value & delete this text after

longitude = -75.458177 // edit your location value & delete this text after

repositionRadiusOffset = 53 // edit your location value & delete this text after

repositionToSphereSurface = false

lodvisibleRangeMult = 6

}

PQSMod_MapDecalTangent

{

radius = 4000

heightMapDeformity = 80 // edit your location value & delete this text after

absoluteOffset = 0

absolute = true

latitude = 37.833755 // edit your location value & delete this text after

longitude = -75.458177 // edit your location value & delete this text after

}

}

hope it help & have fun

I installed FAR, real heat, real chutes, real plume, and RSS. Other than that, I'm mainly using parts and mods designed for stock. (So if that's the answer to my question, I won't be surprised.)

I was able to get a simple 2.5m capsule to orbit and to re-enter it (losing about 700/800 of the ablator). So far, so good.

When I added on to the rocket and went to the moon, I was able to achieve orbit and return. Again, so far, so good. But aerobraking at 10kps was beyond my (stock) heat shield's capacity and I blew up. So what did I do wrong? I set my perigee at somewhere around 60km. Should it have been higher? Lower? Or do I need to change some settings? Or do I need some modded heat shields?

I installed FAR, real heat, real chutes, real plume, and RSS. Other than that, I'm mainly using parts and mods designed for stock. (So if that's the answer to my question, I won't be surprised.)

I was able to get a simple 2.5m capsule to orbit and to re-enter it (losing about 700/800 of the ablator). So far, so good.

When I added on to the rocket and went to the moon, I was able to achieve orbit and return. Again, so far, so good. But aerobraking at 10kps was beyond my (stock) heat shield's capacity and I blew up. So what did I do wrong? I set my perigee at somewhere around 60km. Should it have been higher? Lower? Or do I need to change some settings? Or do I need some modded heat shields?

You might well need to mod them. The problem is that stock capsules are only 64% of the size they should be for their masses, which means you get only 40% of the drag. That makes reentry much, much tougher than it should be.

This is what I use for Deadly Reentry when Realism Overhaul is absent. (gives RO levels of depletion rather than DRE defaults)

(actually, a generic version that uses ModuleAblator and checks for absence of DeadlyReentry, should you ever install that)

// RSS specific tweaks
@PART
[*]:HAS[ModuleAblator]:FINAL:NEEDS[RealSolarSystem,!RealismOverhaul,!DeadlyReentry]
{
@MODULE[ModuleAblator]
{
@lossConst *= 0.0008
@pyrolysisLossFactor *= 50
}
}

Edited by Starwaster
Edited to genericize

This is what I use for Deadly Reentry when Realism Overhaul is absent. (gives RO levels of depletion rather than DRE defaults)

(actually, a generic version that uses ModuleAblator and checks for absence of DeadlyReentry, should you ever install that)

// RSS specific tweaks
@PART
[*]:HAS[ModuleAblator]:FINAL:NEEDS[RealSolarSystem,!RealismOverhaul,!DeadlyReentry]
{
@MODULE[ModuleAblator]
{
@lossConst *= 0.0008
@pyrolysisLossFactor *= 50
}
}

Cool, thanks.

I'm curious why the Sphere of Influence of most of the moons is so small? Is the size of a SOI defined somewhere in RSS configs? For Example, The Sphere of Influence for Io, which is larger than Earth's moon, only extends to an altitude of about 5500 km above Io.

I think they should be larger for a couple reasons. First of all, they can be very difficult to plot an intercept towards, and encounters with these moons can be very brief. Also, it seems to me that attempting gravity assists using these moons is almost useless because these is very little time for the moon to affect a trajectory.

I'm curious why the Sphere of Influence of most of the moons is so small? Is the size of a SOI defined somewhere in RSS configs? For Example, The Sphere of Influence for Io, which is larger than Earth's moon, only extends to an altitude of about 5500 km above Io.

I think they should be larger for a couple reasons. First of all, they can be very difficult to plot an intercept towards, and encounters with these moons can be very brief. Also, it seems to me that attempting gravity assists using these moons is almost useless because these is very little time for the moon to affect a trajectory.

I'm not sure if the game calculates it or if it is an input from the mod, but the "sphere of influence" should be where the gravity of the local body is more important than the gravity of the body it orbits. In the case of Io, Jupiter's gravity is so much bigger than Io's that you have to get quite close to Io before Io's gravity is more important than Jupiter's.

Correct. Sphere of Influence is an actual, defined term, not a game setting. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphere_of_influence_%28astrodynamics%29

RSS's concession to gameplay is to artificially clamp SOIs from becoming too small; Phobos and Deimos would otherwise have SOI borders near their surface.

Notice in that table that Pluto, which is smaller than the Moon, has a sphere of influence more than 3x what the Earth has. The reason why is because it is so much farther from the Sun. That's also why Moho is so hard to get into orbit around in stock KSP.

Hi Guys! How are you all doing today??? Week's over, time to play some KSP@RSS !!!

Quick question: is anyone here using an updated Pluto texture after we received the beautiful images from New Horizons? I would love to update Pluto on my RSS to make it look like the real thing!!!!