[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

Thanks! Working on an unrelated force-opengl issue now because I apparently have Gremlins, but I'll give this a go once I get KSP back up and running.

Edit: That did it, thanks! No more $100k rockets to bring a capsule to 200km.

Second Edit: If you're getting errors about how KSP's unable to resize your monitor when using -force-opengl, try adding an additional leading -

i.e. use --force-opengl

Edited by Hremsfeld

Hi,

I've tried your mod this week-end and ... well ... that was something !

Sincerely ... good job, it must have been quite hard to do all this work.

However, I have some questions ...

Just so that you know, I made a fresh install and I'm using RO with all the dependencies mods. I'm also using Better Buoyancy, Editor Extension, KER, KW Rocketery and Alternate Resource Panel. (And maybe a few more in the recommanded one by RO ...)

First one, It happened when I tried to do my first rocket (while playing a new game in career) ... I was quite surprised. My first rocket was using the booster and even though I had a TWR > 1, it wouldn't take off ...

After removing a 'lil fuel, it was all good (I had then TWR > 2.5)

First, I thought that it was due to all the change coming with RSS ... but later on, I've made a rocket with an engine and a tank, being at about 1.2 TWR ... and could take-off without any issue.

So, well, could someone explain to me what happened there ? ^^"

The second one ... well, I was able to take-off safely ! (more or less .... =p) And to land safely (even less than before :D) ... in the ocean / sea ... and it is where it's starting to get tricky !

Oh yeah, the pod was safe and all but, it wouldn't stop shaking, as if there was a big swell ... making it impossible to recover my vessel (since it was always moving).

I don't know if it's due to Better Buyoancy or any other mod involved in RSS + RO but ... that's quite hard to play like this. I can still recover them by spamming [Esc] until I can go to the space center, and then recover it, but it's not ideal.

Oh yeah, no trouble when I'm landing on land.

I've just seen the post from Joseph_Terran who has a similar problem. So before you ask me, I've started to play after installing everything, BB included ! :)

Edited by nimaroth

I had the same problem and installing the newest version of BB ( I believe 1.4) solved it. Which one do you have installed?

Hi,

The second one ... well, I was able to take-off safely ! (more or less .... =p) And to land safely (even less than before :D) ... in the ocean / sea ... and it is where it's starting to get tricky !

Oh yeah, the pod was safe and all but, it wouldn't stop shaking, as if there was a big swell ... making it impossible to recover my vessel (since it was always moving).

I don't know if it's due to Better Buyoancy or any other mod involved in RSS + RO but ... that's quite hard to play like this. I can still recover them by spamming [Esc] until I can go to the space center, and then recover it, but it's not ideal.

Oh yeah, no trouble when I'm landing on land.

I've just seen the post from Joseph_Terran who has a similar problem. So before you ask me, I've started to play after installing everything, BB included ! :)

Hi,

First one, It happened when I tried to do my first rocket (while playing a new game in career) ... I was quite surprised. My first rocket was using the booster and even though I had a TWR > 1, it wouldn't take off ...

Are you sure that the TWR you checked was given for atmosphere, not vacuum?

Or isn't it the sticky launch pad issue? (StockBugFixes has a fix for it)

Edited by Ser

Hi,

First, I thought that it was due to all the change coming with RSS ... but later on, I've made a rocket with an engine and a tank, being at about 1.2 TWR ... and could take-off without any issue.

So, well, could someone explain to me what happened there ? ^^"

If you're using mechjeb display, it's normal, ISP is different in atmo or in space.

So for your first stage, look at the SLT column (Sea Level TWR I suppose).

Thanks all.

I had BB v1.3 so yeah, after installing v1.4, it was better. Still bouncy for a while but it stopped after a 'lil so all okay ^^

Didn't think about that since I took it at the end of last week ...

For the booster, you were right, I wasn't looking at atmo TWR ... didn't think it would be that much different !

There are still things bugging me but RSS + RO don't manage rocket and all like the originals so I must familiarize myself with them and see if it's still bugging me or not ^^

Anyway, once again, thanks all :)

Is there a reason why my craft seems to pass through the ground sometimes? Is this a known bug?

Do you mean when landing with some horizontal velocity, like when landing an airplane and you slip through the ground and explode?

Then yes. That bug happened when KSP and RSS switched from 0.24.2 to 0.25. I think someone said it was a stock bug exaggerated by RSS, something to to with the lack of precision in floating point numbers.

Do you mean when landing with some horizontal velocity, like when landing an airplane and you slip through the ground and explode?

Then yes. That bug happened when KSP and RSS switched from 0.24.2 to 0.25. I think someone said it was a stock bug exaggerated by RSS, something to to with the lack of precision in floating point numbers.

Ahh :/ thank you

I am trying to use RSS with MM patch from http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55145-1-0-4-Real-Solar-System-v10-2-July-30?p=2114674&viewfull=1#post2114674 (https://raw.githubusercontent.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/master/ROMini.cfg) without installing FAR and other realism overhaul suite. (my computer is rather weak and I heard MechJeb is not good cooperating with FAR...)

The launch rebalance after the patch is OK, I can reach the orbit with two- or three stage rocket of reasonable cost and start weight. But when I try to reenter, the capsule is exploding in upper atmosphere. I am using MK-1 pod with stock 1.25m heat shield. With default thermal settings it exploded even before burning the ablator, because shield surface temperature was too high. I tried to install Death Reentry and tweak heating in alt-f12 menu. It got somewhat better, but but it still burns all the ablator very fast and explodes at altitude ~90km at speed ~6.5km/s. I guess, DR 1.25 shield would be even worse because it has less ablator.

I guess it is because the pod become much heavier due to MM patch, but thermal parameters were not adjusted properly.

Is it even possible to have a working reentry with the abovementioned MM patch? Or I need to install full RO overhaul suite?

Update: I managed to survive the reentry by setting Aero Heating Rate to 0.229 and Radiation Factor to 31. I guess, by setting Aero Heating to lower value I could go with much less Radiation Factor, but I still fell like cheating.

Edited by pargentum

I have following problem: there is no other biomes for Earth than grasslands it seems. Sometimes for 0.1 sek. north pole biome flashes in random places... I think that i have up to date textures for RSS. Any ideas? Maybe i should use custom biomes to fix this?

EDIT: Strange. When biomes are visible in map everything seems to be fine. Same thing in Custom Biomes. But Kerbal Engineer shows that there is only grasslands and when im trying to make science it is always "above grasslands". Why?

Edited by Pspiotrek

Update: I managed to survive the reentry by setting Aero Heating Rate to 0.229 and Radiation Factor to 31. I guess, by setting Aero Heating to lower value I could go with much less Radiation Factor, but I still fell like cheating.

I don't like to use the 'C' word, but I have to agree; those changes aren't even necessary. Might as well just turn aero reentry heating off.

I am trying to use RSS with MM patch from http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55145-1-0-4-Real-Solar-System-v10-2-July-30?p=2114674&viewfull=1#post2114674 (https://raw.githubusercontent.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/master/ROMini.cfg) without installing FAR and other realism overhaul suite. (my computer is rather weak and I heard MechJeb is not good cooperating with FAR...)

The launch rebalance after the patch is OK, I can reach the orbit with two- or three stage rocket of reasonable cost and start weight. But when I try to reenter, the capsule is exploding in upper atmosphere. I am using MK-1 pod with stock 1.25m heat shield. With default thermal settings it exploded even before burning the ablator, because shield surface temperature was too high. I tried to install Death Reentry and tweak heating in alt-f12 menu. It got somewhat better, but but it still burns all the ablator very fast and explodes at altitude ~90km at speed ~6.5km/s. I guess, DR 1.25 shield would be even worse because it has less ablator.

I guess it is because the pod become much heavier due to MM patch, but thermal parameters were not adjusted properly.

Is it even possible to have a working reentry with the abovementioned MM patch? Or I need to install full RO overhaul suite?

Shameless self-promotion: I've made a patch of my own for using RSS without diving into RO (and thus having to give up mods that RO doesn't support). I call it SMURFF: Simple Mass adjUstments for Real-ish Fuel-mass Fractions. Rather than up-scaling parts (and their capacities) and adjusting physics parameters, as ROMini does, SMURFF reduces the dry masses of fuel tanks and engines to get real-ish fuel mass fractions. I've successfully launched and recovered the Mk1-2 pod (plus 2.5m heat shield and parachute), including one fairly steep descent, with the "Kerbal 5" rocket depicted in the Imgur gallery partway down the post I've linked. Maybe give that a try?

Or, for that matter, try the Mk1-2 pod on your current install, to see if it's the capsule and shield that make the difference more than the part configs.

Or, for that matter, try the Mk1-2 pod on your current install, to see if it's the capsule and shield that make the difference more than the part configs.

I am trying to build a rocket usable in career mode, and Mk1-2 is pretty far in the technology tree.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't like to use the 'C' word, but I have to agree; those changes aren't even necessary. Might as well just turn aero reentry heating off.

Well, that's true, but I was asking for advice. Is there a recommended parameter set for reentry in RSS? With default parameters significant heating begins at 120km, and I explode before even having some braking.

Well, that's true, but I was asking for advice. Is there a recommended parameter set for reentry in RSS? With default parameters significant heating begins at 120km, and I explode before even having some braking.

Are you still using Deadly Reentry? I did notice that you had mentioned installing it. I was made aware of an issue with a few sections of the DeadlyReentry.cfg file could affect RSS adversely. (though I didn't experience any such issue myself)

I don't plan on pushing a full update but the file in question will get patched on the repository before that happens and you'd be able to download just that file. I think that would probably fix your problem....

Another bug report. On CKAN I checked it and it won't install. However it installed the textures correctly (even though you can't see it)

gTHUTHd.png

Also I've uninstalled CKAN and everything

Edited by davidy12

I am trying to build a rocket usable in career mode, and Mk1-2 is pretty far in the technology tree.

The reason to try the Mk1-2 pod is to get more data on the problem you're experiencing. I've just launched, orbited, and recovered the Mk1 pod myself without issue (burned about a quarter of the ablator off of my heat shield), so clearly RSS+SMURFF works just fine for both cases, but we only know that RSS+ROMini (+DeadlyReentry?) doesn't work for the Mk1. If it works for the Mk1-2, then the problem is with how the Mk1 pod or 1.25m heat shield behaves; if the Mk1-2 also burns up, on the other hand, then the problem is more likely to be in the physics parameters that your setup has.