[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

A little question, is it possible to change the default KSC location?

I mean, I can easily do that with KSC switcher and launch a rocket from different sites, but the game still thinks tahe the KSC is somewhere near the equator, and this bring some trouble when you trying to recover some vessel.

Who can you help me? I want to instal RSS for KSP 1.0.5 , but I have got a problem. Once KSP loaded all files and getting ready to show me main menu, it doesn't. In KSP's log wrote something like that: -PSystemSetup: Cannot find PQS of name 'Kerbin'! -Look rotation viewing vector is zero

Hello,

Sorry if I sound stupid, but it's obvious that it is much harder to get to orbit... is there a mod or config that changes the stock parts to become more efficient for RSS?

Thank You,

John

Edited by John The Physicist

@John The Physicist You have SMURFF which changes the masses of tanks and power of engines so they are like the real world, There is Realism Overhaul which changes almost everything. It also has a lot of real world engines. There is also config for Real Fuels that adds support to stock engines and most mod engines so they use Kerosene, LqdOxygen, Hidrazine etc...

And finally there's RO Mini, which is like SMURFF but also applies a flat 1.6x rescaling to all parts (to fix wonky ballistic coefficients, high part count LVs, etc). https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/blob/master/ROMini.cfg

@Bumlebi I believe that is caused by resizing the KSP window once you've started the game, it's a stock/Unity issue.

On 22.02.2016 at 8:30 PM, NathanKell said:

@mark7 that sounds like an issue in KSCSwitcher then.

@MatveyREG Please create a totally fresh, clean KSP install, and then use CKAN to install RealSolarSystem (just RSS and what it requires). Your install sounds borked.

I already used clean KSP instal. I open it without RSS easily. I'm trying to instal RSS using CKAN. Tanks! 

Edited by MatveyREG
Just installed CKAN

Hi all,

First day in RSS :) Tried to follow Ferram's Launch Vehicle Tutorial to be on the safe side. I think something is wrong, either how I did this or with my installation of RO/RF.

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/wiki/Ferram's-Launch-Vehicle-Tutorial

Payload was Stayputnik, 4 x solar arrays, 4 x batteries, 3 x antennas. I've added procedural fairings below them bringing total payload mass to 391kg. So far so good.

I then added a procedural tank and started my seach for an engine in the 200-450kN range as suggested. Not having many alternatives even after installing NP and AEIS, I settled for a nice LR105 with approximately 350/250kN thrust. Attached it to the bottom and adjusted tank length to get a dV of about 4.5km/s. However this gave me a a TWR of 8.81/6.14 ! Instead of suggested 0.7. 

To get something around 0.7 TWR, I had to find an engine with a thrust of 66kN (RL10). I knew something was wrong. But kept going.

Added second stage, which was slightly more straight forward, aimed for 1.3-4 TWR, ended up with 1.7.

After a good take off and acent, first stage finished around 110-120km, setting apoapsis to 200km (target). Having a very little thrust on the second stage, MJ calculated circularization burn to be 6mins+ and fired it while I was leaving 120km (perhaps a bit later than -3mins due to staging issues).

I think I wasted lots of dV doing most of circularization burn far from AP (on either side) and ended up in an orbit of 400km x 12km when I run out of fuel.

Any ideas what I might have done wrong ? Especially why a small rocket gives such a high TWR ? And if there is another trick I am missing to limit the TWR ?

(Looking at final orbit size again, perhaps I would manage to circularize if I started the burn right after 1st stage was gone, not sure)

Many thanks,

Charlie

EDIT: I changed this KSP installation from RF/Stockalike to RF/RO before installing RSS. It was a fresh installation and I think I removed Stockalikes properly but everything seems a bit too powerful so I am questioning myself.

Edited by Charlie the Kerbal
More info

@Charlie the Kerbal I think @ferram4 might be overestimating how much thrust is needed there. For a 400kg payload I wouldn't use more than 100kN or so of thrust on the upper. Then with a likely 10 tons of payload + upper, you don't need that much of a lower stage. Now, regarding piloting, in RO one generally makes a single burn to orbit, or at least a single burn to insertion (and a 5-50m/s circularization burn on the other side of the planet). The exception would be for something like Juno where you have some very fast-burning solid apogee kick motors. However, this thread really isn't the place, but there is a thread designed just for this sort of conversation.

@prorokbmx you forgot to install the texture pack, or you are using the 8192 pack on a Mac. Follow the instructions in the OP.

HELP!!  Im ttrying to make a custom location and when I make it its buried inside a circular mountain. There are no mountains where Im trying to make this new KCS. Its White Sands, NM.  Its all desert ! 

http://imgur.com/a/5PF33#EB0m9om

Edited by lextacy

18 hours ago, NathanKell said:

You'll need to post the output log. See here for where to find it and the other info I need. :)

Ok. I checked my computer and it's a 64 bit. It's kinda a shared computer, so I won't be able to get 32 bit. It seems RSS may not be for me at the time. Thanks so much for your help, sorry to inconvenience you.

7 minutes ago, Choctofliatrio2.0 said:

Ok. I checked my computer and it's a 64 bit. It's kinda a shared computer, so I won't be able to get 32 bit. It seems RSS may not be for me at the time. Thanks so much for your help, sorry to inconvenience you.

Your operating system e.g. WIndows 64bit bit doesn't matter it is the game .exe file that matters. I can assure you you are using KSP 32 bit