[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

Changelog

v8.6

* Fixed Ganymede normal map being flipped (either redownload your texture pack or just get the fixed Ganymede normal map, it's the same for all packs) -- thanks sashan!

* Starwaster: fix temperature and pressure issues on some bodies due to multipliers not being reset.

* Removed keypress-based camera clipping changes. There's a GUI for that (alt-G), after all...

* Fixed camera clipping range loading.

* Fixed finding AtmosphereFromGround (was only running if the body had a PQS--Jool does not).

* Added a :FOR[RSSConfig] tag, so people can :NEEDS off that, rather than RealSolarSystem (:NEEDS[RealSolarSystem] will return true no matter what config for RSS one has, even if it's just to prettify the atmosphers like in a visual pack).

* Update to Module Manager 2.5.12 and DDS Loader 1.9

Here's the fixed Ganymede DDS file.

sashan, are there others? I just realized your post said "one of"...

Edited by NathanKell

Just updated to the latest release after not playing RSS for a few months. I get flickering oceans during launch. It starts at ~5000 meters and gets progressively worse until I reach scaled space. It looks a lot like z-fightning. Nothing shows in the debug menu. It reproduces at all launches. I will try with a minimal install and see if I can find anything. If anyone knows what I've done wrong I'd be happy if you let me know :) Cheers and thanks for the update!

Edit: Tested with just RSS, FAR, Toolbar, squad and NASA in GameData folder. Also tested both high and default graphics setting. I still get the flickering oceans.

Edited by ThorBeorn

celem: Sphere of influence for Phobos in real life is only a few meters above the surface, IIRC. Sphere of influence is a real thing btw, so you can wiki that too. In RSS I believe I set it for 30km, unrealistically, just so you have a chance to stay in "orbit" around it. Phobos and Deimos are the only two tiny bodies in RSS, the other moons are the Galilean moons of Jupiter, Titan, and Luna, which are sizable.

Good stuff Nathan, cheers. I always assumed SoI to be a KSP invention given that in reality all bodies always act on everything else, but it makes sense theres a threshhold at which the exponential growth makes you pretty much 'local'. I'll keep it in mind exploring the Martian system.

Good stuff Nathan, cheers. I always assumed SoI to be a KSP invention given that in reality all bodies always act on everything else, but it makes sense theres a threshhold at which the exponential growth makes you pretty much 'local'. I'll keep it in mind exploring the Martian system.

Just as a point of interest: IRL, the SOI of a body depends not just on that body's gravitational influence but on the gravitational influence of other bodies around it (namely the parent body). So close in to the sun, the SOI of planets like Mercury, Venus, Earth or Mars are smaller in comparison to a shrimp like Pluto where even though it's mass is very low, there's nothing else around there to influence it and it has a larger SOI than Earth. (for example)

Edit: I think that with a 2 body system that at the edge of the SOI, the gravitational attraction should be about equal to the attraction of the main body? I'm not 100% and I never really paid attention to what it is in KSP but I think that's how it is IRL. Anyone want to chime in on that?

Edited by Starwaster

Sphere of Influence is that sphere within which the largest gravitic acceleration is due to that body. Since even with n>2 in a sane planetary system that won't, AFAIK, change, the formula given on wiki is the same as KSP uses.

I will look into the flicker, I might have goofed again.

Taki117: Fixed a long time ago AFAIK. There were some mods that were bundling out-of-date RSS dlls even after I fixed it, however. >.>

hello, i have a strange problem-with rss

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I tried it without mods but it did not help. even a fresh installation without mods brings no improvement.

here are some infos:

KSP 0.90 x86

Mods: clean install without mods. Just using RSS 8.6

Textures: I tried 8192x4096, 4096x2048 and 2048x1024

Log: Click me

I would be glad if you could help me.

Sorry about that, I'm not sure what it could be other than a weird conversion from Windows to Linux. I'll take a look at my config.

Has anyone else had/solved this issue?

I can confirm I have had the exact same issue, fixed it by manually modifing the .cfg file to point at the correct file paths. Manjaro Linux, KSP x64.

I can confirm that I am having the same issues too? Is it a problem with the new textures or is it the RSS 8.6? If its the textures does anyone have the old textures they could share for the time being? If its is RSS 8.6 I will just switch back to 8.5 for the time being.

I can confirm that I am having the same issues too? Is it a problem with the new textures or is it the RSS 8.6? If its the textures does anyone have the old textures they could share for the time being? If its is RSS 8.6 I will just switch back to 8.5 for the time being.

I reverted to 8.5 and the issue stopped. I didn't roll back DDSLoader or CustomBiomes, just the RealSolarSytem folder. I also kept the updated Ganymede_NRM file in the RSSTextures folder.

Edited by A_Burnt_Rodent
Spelling.

I reverted to 8.5 and the issue stopped. I didn't roll back DDSLoader or CustomBiomes, just the RealSolarSytem folder. I also kept the updated Ganymede_NRM file in the RSSTextures folder.

I did the same it all works fine

Where I can get a config so the real solar system is 6.4x sized?
You'll have to make one but it would be pretty simple to do. A basic approximation of Kerbin 6.4x scale could be done by running all orbital SMAs and planetary radii through the following function:

<original value> / 10.6 * 6.4

You'll then need to adjust all planetary masses to arrive at the proper gravity value, although I think you can simply specify Gees ASL for all bodies and have RSS figure it out for you. Then adjust at least Kennedy Space Center to have better values for the location as pretty much every launch site will be messed up in some way.

E: Not sure how the textures and height maps would respond to this, but they might be okay.

Edited by regex

Nathan,

I see in 8.6 you did a fix for clipping issues, but I'm still getting them. It starts at 1k Km almost exactly, and progressively gets worse as I get closer. Here's an album of it happening around the moon since I already showed it around earth. Notice how the circle moves as I move the camera. The issue seems to be fixed if I change the depth to -1, but only at a distance: -1 really screws with things as I get close.

I also reproduced this issue on a fresh install with 8.6 and 8.6.1, but it still persists. :confused:

Having an Issue. Wondering if it's known, or if there is possible fix. Just installed the Mod for the first time. Problem is some of my flights are now gone. For Instance, I had a station orbiting Kerbin, as well as the Mun. They are both now gone. Loading a save from the station around the Mun and looking at the flight log reveals that it crashed. Does RSS move the planets? Deleting the addon, and reverting to a save before the crashes fixes the flights. I'd really enjoy this mod, so any insight into a fix would be very appreciated:)

Having an Issue. Wondering if it's known, or if there is possible fix. Just installed the Mod for the first time. Problem is some of my flights are now gone. For Instance, I had a station orbiting Kerbin, as well as the Mun. They are both now gone. Loading a save from the station around the Mun and looking at the flight log reveals that it crashed. Does RSS move the planets? Deleting the addon, and reverting to a save before the crashes fixes the flights. I'd really enjoy this mod, so any insight into a fix would be very appreciated:)

The station was the same distance from Kerbin's core as it is Earth's core, which means on Earth it's below the ground, well below the 30 km despawn limit. As to the Mun, It crashed the same way. RSS makes the planets full scale.

I'm being serious, I just have to use comic sans because of the April Fools thing

nabaal.nets' license expired today which means that Ckan and even just a weblink will kick you from the page as it's no longer 'trusted'.

You can still get the textures though if you follow the link in the OP and then ignore your browser security telling you to leave.

It doesn't actually take you to a web page btw it just gives you the file to download.

I take no responsibility for anything untoward happening though, be it on your own head.