Is it possible to build a jaeger?

ZedNova

The best way to get rid of a kaiju would be with a peacekeeper missile thing, i.e. one of those ICBMs that carried 7-8 warheads a peace that could cover a wide area. Any kiju that got hit with one of them or had one land right next to them would be totally and completely vaporized. Plus, it could destabilize the crust around the portal and cause it to collapse.

The best way to get rid of a kaiju would be with a peacekeeper missile thing, i.e. one of those ICBMs that carried 7-8 warheads a peace that could cover a wide area. Any kiju that got hit with one of them or had one land right next to them would be totally and completely vaporized. Plus, it could destabilize the crust around the portal and cause it to collapse.

I'm wondering why they didn't use MOABs, they had Plasma cannons, and Anti kaiju rockets. Why didn't they use any thermobaric bombs?

I'm wondering why they didn't use MOABs, they had Plasma cannons, and Anti kaiju rockets. Why didn't they use any thermobaric bombs?

all scifi movies seem to grossly underestimate the current state of military technology. a ww2 artillery piece would have shredded kaiju meat from a safe distance. what about a battleship gun. you could have killed them before they even set foot on land. but no, you have modern jet fighters flying within a few feet of the beast firing their guns. wtf. at least use a-10s or ac130s. also we have nukes. i think we would perfer them be fired at kaiju in the ocean and dealing with the radiological effects than have the kaiju wipe out an entire city.

Edited by Nuke

Yeah, I did wonder why they were saying that like it was a good thing. Alloys were created because they outperform non-alloys. About the only reason not to use them is cost.

Quoting this thread:

Nobody's figured that out yet? That's an old Japanese thing that "pure" is better than "not pure."

From Wikipedia: Popularity of the pure-blood eugenics theory came from a homegrown racial purity or monoculture national belief that has been part of Japanese society since ancient times. The local movement was however less focused on modern scientific ideals and more on the "outside person" vs the "native or inside person" and blood purity. Later legal measures were supported by certain politicians and movements that sought to increase the number of healthy pure Japanese....

So in the movie they put in this silly pure iron thing to appeal to Japanese audiences.

It makes sense, since most of the revenue for the movie came from Japanese audiences.

Could we? Of course. Is it practical? No. Pacific Rim was supposed to be a fun movie filled with explosions and monsters. The Kaiju would never be able survive on Earth. The gravity is too high and the oxygen content in our atmosphere is too low to support life that large. They would die of exhaustion the moment they stood up.

Remember, Kaijus are bio-engineered for this specific purpose.

that said...they kept saying X number of diesel generators per muscle strand. I don't know if they were powering hydraulic pumps or if the muscular architecture of the robot was powered by electricity. Then the hilarious moment where digital vs analog becomes a thing... Oh and the weird dual person walking clunkily translated to movement in the bipedal robot?

Actually, when that EMP was set, Gypsy Danger should've been hit the same like the other Jaegers, since EMP's affect both analog and digital equipment.

Really great movie for jarheads with half a brain.

Even after pointing out all these problems (and the creative license in the area of physics belonging to the writers) I still enjoyed this movie thoroughly.

Quoting this thread:

It makes sense, since most of the revenue for the movie came from Japanese audiences.

Remember, Kaijus are bio-engineered for this specific purpose.

Actually, when that EMP was set, Gypsy Danger should've been hit the same like the other Jaegers, since EMP's affect both analog and digital equipment.

Even after pointing out all these problems (and the creative license in the area of physics belonging to the writers) I still enjoyed this movie thoroughly.

Actually, it is impossible to control giant robots with analog technologies, right? How about the mocap subsystem? Display subsystem? Reactor control? Servo control?

analog control systems are just as good as digital control systems. the major difference is maintenance. you have to routinely re-calibrate an analog system. actually every voltage regulator in your computer contains an analog control system. and a digital control system can be resistant to emp, you just have to use vacuum tubes.

That movie just sucked! And the technical nonsense wasnt even its worst part.

The worst part was its animeish feeling that was what disgusted me most.

The two absolutely unnecesarilly annoing scientists, the time wasted by that awkward memory dream drama when that jap girl first tried to drive the robot, the awkward Rambo II style scene where the Generall convinces the main character to get back to fight, the stupid higschoolbully **** with the son of the other robot driver, all the movie feeled like its ment exclusivelly for 8-12yearold audience.

Just the second worst film after the "Book of Eli" i ever saw. It was even more painfull to watch than twilight, and that was some bad film.

And to the technicall nonsence: Non alloy iron? Pure iron is so reactive and soft, that it would probably corrode and fall apart befor theyd even start the engine. if ti wouldnt collapse under its own weight. (yes iam exagerrating here a little.)

People here mostly seem to expect too much of the regular blockbuster cinema. You shouldn't think too much about a movie like this because if you do, you realize that not only this but atleast 80% of modern cinema is complete bull****. Appreciate the fact that giant monsters fight giant robots and let the director have some fun realizing their ideas.

If you know from the start that you won't enjoy a movie, you could also just avoid the movie.

(this ofcourse doesn't mean that i don't appreciate every more accurate and sophisticated movie)

Edited by Canopus

Yeah the main thing about the movie was the underestimations of modern weapon systems.

And now for my favourite plane of all time:

A-10 Thunderbolt--its main gun fires at 3,900 RPM

Ammunition---the most extreme i have heard of was a mixed magazine of Armour Piercing Incendiary,High Explosive incendiary and Depleted Uranuim Ammuntion

This combination can render almost any MBT in existence useless in a few short bursts.

Sustained fire on a kajiu? Absolutely devastating would rip holes straight through its body due to Depleted Uranuims self sharpening and self combustioning war head not to mention the radiation from the superheated dust...

(aploigizes for spelling im Dyspraxic)

Ammunition---the most extreme i have heard of was a mixed magazine of Armour Piercing Incendiary,High Explosive incendiary and Depleted Uranuim Ammuntion

That actually sounds like a pretty normal battle mix for an aircraft autocannnon. You normally mix in a combination AP and HE rounds, with a tracer every 5 or 10. You don't get selective feeds in aircraft guns, so you just jumble all the different ammo types you need together and spray them at everybody.

3. Tanks haven't changed in the last few decades because current tanks are all a few decades old. MBT design basically ended with the cold war and had plateaued towards its end due to three factors; the effectiveness of sub caliber penetrators and gun-launched ATGMs made 120mm~ guns sufficient for all threats, the elevated lethality of the weapons made detection and fire control systems more worthwhile investments than armor or gun bore, and lightweight non-gun threats to armor became prevalent and effective.

The truth of the matter is that the last American war where tanks were relevant was probably Korea. They are the trench warfare of the modern military. Which stinks, cuz they're awesome.

As for jaegers... Much easier to mount shore batteries or deploy battleships. And making one... not until we get very, VERY light alloys.

The truth of the matter is that the last American war where tanks were relevant was probably Korea.

You forgetting the the 1st Gulf War? It was the biggest tank battle in history, bigger even the Kursk.

People keep predicting the decline of the tank, but the fact remains that when they operate with good air cover in open terrain they're still devestating. The Allied attack in Desert Storm rolled up the world's fourth largest army in four days.

• 2 months later...
The truth of the matter is that the last American war where tanks were relevant was probably Korea.
They were also used intensively in some aspects of the Vietnam War. Not in fluid, WW2-style battle, but as bunker busters and mobile hardpoints.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.