Now-defunct-thread-that-should-not-appear-in-google-search.

Cilph

When using this mod and trying to transmit science with the Comms DTS-M1, I get "There are no comms devices on this vessel, cannot transmit data." Any reason why this would be happening and is removing the mod the only way to fix it?

When using this mod and trying to transmit science with the Comms DTS-M1, I get "There are no comms devices on this vessel, cannot transmit data." Any reason why this would be happening and is removing the mod the only way to fix it?

Not to be a troll...but did you see this post?

*bzzt* *beep*

To report a bug please follow these steps:

• Document what is going wrong;
  • Document what you expected to happen;
  • Copy your KSP_Data/output_log.txt;
  • Copy your persistence.sfs file describing the situation;
  • Post all of the above to https://github.com/Cilph/RemoteTech2/issues?state=open
  • Sign a contract promising me your first-born if the error is determined to be the user's fault.

You have received this automated response because you were unable to read basic instructions. Please refrain from triggering the automated response system any further.

As far as installation instructions...could they not be any clearer? I think even if there was a batch file included to copy the files where they needed to be people would still mess it up some how. :)

If someone is up for writing proper documentation, let me know. People are whining "installation instructions aren't clear", or "my science stopped working!".

As the main dev and non-native speaker I just don't have the right point of view to write such a thing.

I volunteer to help Tobyz, I think I messed around enough with the mod since v1 so I can pretty much document everything (what really is a command station, what really are dishes, what really are omnis, what are the requirements to do this or that, etc...). Maybe Tobyz could write tutorials then ?

Finally got my geosync sats up.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I like this new design a lot. It's based around a THSS truss with a THSS probe core. 3 RemoteTech CommTech-1 dishes provide deep space communication (and fit the THSS perfectly). It's powered by 6 RLA ASRG RTGs (Roemy-Lemdun Atomics kit) that sit along the corners of the truss (also fit perfectly). They can keep all dishes/antennas running even in shadow. Mounted on the RTGs are 3 AIES frying pan dishes (5Mm) (unfortunately also named CommTech-1) provide for inter-satellite communication as well as downlink, 3 AIES ESC-EXP antenna provide redundancy and near-orbit communication without need for targetting, 3 small solar panels to provide extra power for station-keeping, and a trio of flashing beacons (AviationLights) so I can find them if I need to send a manned service crew up. Tucked behind the large dishes are xenon tanks and on the end an RLA resistojet engine. All told it's a reasonably compact package, but weighs in at 9 tons. The dishes are 3t. The RTGs another 3t (those dishes require a lot of power). 1.5t in xenon. The truss is .5t.

I launch an array of 4, 90 deg apart, which puts them 4,055km apart, connected by a 5,000km dish. It's a reasonably heavy lift - 36t of satellites, hauled into final orbit by a NERVA. The NERVA goes into an elliptical orbit of 16,200s (4.5 hours) with apoapsis at 2868km and pops off a satellite every time it reaches apoapsis. With a geosync period of 21,600s (6 hours), the previous sat has fallen exactly ¼ orbit behind. The sat pops off, fires up the resistojet, and circularizes. It's also weak enough to fine tune the orbit to exactly 6 hours. Previously I would have put a bit of RCS on to do that. Might have been the better decision as I could have dumped 1.5t from each sat, put that into extra fuel for the NERVA and just used it to set each orbit, and used a wee bit of RCS to fine tune it. But I think it looks cooler this way. Putting all 4 up at once makes it hard to design the lifter, but easy to get them precisely positioned. I always struggle to get them properly positioned when I launch them individually,

In the first image you can see the main lifter having just detached and the NERVA cowlings falling back. There's a bit of scaffolding to keep the whole thing from wobbling apart (even with joint reinforcement it wiggles a fair bit). It was a coinflip on the NERVA over a lighter but lower ISP engine. It had barely enough thrust to perform this role, so it worked out pretty well. Even managed to get it home in one piece (there's a probe core and a bunch of chutes on it). The second shows the sat moving into position with a nice view of the design. The last has the engine disabled and ready to transmit.

Assuming one satellite may be blocked at any given time, I can configure each pair of sats redundantly, and hold 6 different targets anywhere in the solar system. Or I can hold 12 targets with half an hour of downtime every 6 hours. Now I can send my massive science mission to the Jool system and get my experimental techs all unlocked.

You can find my tech tree and RT2 patch for AIES over on the AIES thread.

The antennas do not deploy automatically anymore with this mod - but they do not retract after transmitting also, which I see as a big bonus.

This is because antennas use energy continously with this mod and retracting a probes antenna after a transmission from far away would practically kill it.

You also have to be in range to transmit science, even if you have Kerbals on your vessel - unlike a probe core with this mod they can control the ship without an uplink to mission control, but the science data has to reach Kerbin somehow. :wink:

I volunteer to help Tobyz, I think I messed around enough with the mod since v1 so I can pretty much document everything (what really is a command station, what really are dishes, what really are omnis, what are the requirements to do this or that, etc...). Maybe Tobyz could write tutorials then ?

For ease of accessibility and coordination, I recommend expanding and modifying the existing RemoteTech tutorials and documentation on the KSP wiki.

What happened to the probes? The 1-peice probe and the aeroprobe? I LOVED THOSE- Even featured them in my AAR.

Stylistically, the Micro- and AeroProbe would need somewhat of an overhaul. At least new textures would be needed to make them conform to the stock look of RT2. I've been planning on giving the AeroProbe a much needed rework in the modeling and plugin department; integrating all the landing wheels within the main body. I've been insanely busy with work lately though, so development is considerably delayed. After the tweaks to the AeroProbe is done, I'd need a good texture artist to do the rest (of course based on the existing Unity project and UV maps).

Edited by JDP

I've got a question to ask: does a probe consume as much electricity when idle as it does when transmitting data/commands? for what i know, these data/commands are carried on a carrier wave so i guess the consumption rate will be similar. But think about SPU, it need some more electric charge when processing commands/reading saved science data stored doesn't it?

The probe uses electricity by itself

MODULE
{
name = [B]ModuleCommand[/B]
minimumCrew = 0

RESOURCE
{
[B]name = ElectricCharge
rate = 0.02777778[/B]
}
}

RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
amount = 5
maxAmount = 5
}

The antenna as well while active

MODULE
{
name = [B]ModuleRTAntenna[/B]
IsRTActive = true
Mode0OmniRange = 0
Mode1OmniRange = 500000
[B]EnergyCost = 0.01[/B]

TRANSMITTER
{
PacketInterval = 0.3
PacketSize = 2
PacketResourceCost = 15.0
}
}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleSPUPassive
}
}

The actual transmission of commands does not use power (per key pressed or anything), the antenna is always active as long as it is active ... yes ...

Only science transmissions cost extra power depending on their data size.

Not to be a troll...but did you see this post?

His problem didn't seem like a bug to me, but a question of not necessarily fully understanding the mods mechanics, and with "Sign a contract promising me your first-born if the error is determined to be the user's fault." being in the bug report guidelines, I'd expect it to be preferable to first rule out PEBCAK. :)

For ease of accessibility and coordination, I recommend expanding and modifying the existing RemoteTech tutorials and documentation on the KSP wiki.

I don't really know... Cilph should decide where we should put this on. I don't think a mod documentation belongs to the KSP wiki, this tutorial was only for satellite coverage purpose, not really for documentation.

You mean a layer 8 problem?

Apparently I do, hadn't heard that one before :)

Back in my (limited) programming and especially later in tech-support days we just called it PEBCAK*

*(problem exists between chair and keyboard, in case anyone was wondering, probably weren't but there you have it)

Bug report: I've tried to target the docking port of an unmanned rt controlled vessel from a manned pod and received a message about it is not being connected to ksc. It also refused to target it.

*bzzt* *beep*

To report a bug please follow these steps:

• Document what is going wrong;
  • Document what you expected to happen;
  • Copy your KSP_Data/output_log.txt;
  • Copy your persistence.sfs file describing the situation;
  • Post all of the above to https://github.com/Cilph/RemoteTech2/issues?state=open
  • Sign a contract promising me your first-born if the error is determined to be the user's fault.

You have received this automated response because you were unable to read basic instructions. Please refrain from triggering the automated response system any further.

Attachment: User Message.

User Message: Bug known but never reported on the tracker, so I just forgot. This is why you report your bugs.

OK before I label this a Bug, let me describe the situation and see if this is a known thing already (like last time). Otherwise I'll be more than happy to upload all the files you need...

OK so I started a new Career save and I'm far enough in the tech tree to get the "Duna Dish". So I setup a small ComSat network around kerbin, setup a couple of polar orbit sat's with the "duna dish", and then built a mission to Duna.

I get to duna and deploy my comsat with the dish and some omni's. The manned ship and probes have omni's.

In map view when controlling the comsat, I get a Green link to kerbin. I can swap to the manned pod ad show an Omni connection line to the comsat.

When I swap to the probe, in map view I see: Omni -> Omni manned ship -> Omni Comsat -> Dish connection to kerbin. But if I swap to ship view from map view I see "No Connection" and I cannot control the probe. To be clear each vessel has multiple omni's (about two each).

So do I make a whole github deal or what?

I'm slightly hesitant about sharing the file cause you're going to need quite a few mods to load up my save... But I'd be happy to zip it all up if you want it.

OK before I label this a Bug, let me describe the situation and see if this is a known thing already (like last time). Otherwise I'll be more than happy to upload all the files you need...

OK so I started a new Career save and I'm far enough in the tech tree to get the "Duna Dish". So I setup a small ComSat network around kerbin, setup a couple of polar orbit sat's with the "duna dish", and then built a mission to Duna.

I get to duna and deploy my comsat with the dish and some omni's. The manned ship and probes have omni's.

In map view when controlling the comsat, I get a Green link to kerbin. I can swap to the manned pod ad show an Omni connection line to the comsat.

When I swap to the probe, in map view I see: Omni -> Omni manned ship -> Omni Comsat -> Dish connection to kerbin. But if I swap to ship view from map view I see "No Connection" and I cannot control the probe. To be clear each vessel has multiple omni's (about two each).

So do I make a whole github deal or what?

I'm slightly hesitant about sharing the file cause you're going to need quite a few mods to load up my save... But I'd be happy to zip it all up if you want it.

Assuming no configuration error: bug.

I have a laptop at my disposal, so I copied over my KSP folder to it and tried the same savegame. The "blinking dish" thing seems to be the root cause of this. The laptop is a less powerful machine and the "blinking dish" issue is more pronounced on it.

I'll work on getting the files you need zipped up, then I'll have to create a github account. Please be patient, I'll get them to you.

I have a laptop at my disposal, so I copied over my KSP folder to it and tried the same savegame. The "blinking dish" thing seems to be the root cause of this. The laptop is a less powerful machine and the "blinking dish" issue is more pronounced on it.

I'll work on getting the files you need zipped up, then I'll have to create a github account. Please be patient, I'll get them to you.

You mean the blinking connection issue on github? I have a potential fix prepared for that. Or what did you mean?

Edited by Cilph

Correct. Near as I can tell, on my desktop machine the "blink" is such a short duration I don't see it, but i happens more often, so even though map view says connected, ship view thinks "no connection". On the laptop it's more pronounced in that it's "blinking" longer, stays connected a little longer, then disconnects alittle longer.

Make sense? THink of a floressant light bulb. They blink, but they blink so fast that the human brain see's "light". If it's OK I'll wait for the fix release, something tells me it will solve my issues.

I've started playing around with this mod and I'm really enjoying it. A problem I've been having is craft going out of range of the network without me noticing.

Would it be possible to either show a range circle on the map or a digital readout of the link length so we could see how stretched things are.

I've started playing around with this mod and I'm really enjoying it. A problem I've been having is craft going out of range of the network without me noticing.

Would it be possible to either show a range circle on the map or a digital readout of the link length so we could see how stretched things are.

Always build in overlap and redundancy. Everything is referenced off other things so just put stuff in orbit and target it. That will give you an idea of range.

Correct. Near as I can tell, on my desktop machine the "blink" is such a short duration I don't see it, but i happens more often, so even though map view says connected, ship view thinks "no connection". On the laptop it's more pronounced in that it's "blinking" longer, stays connected a little longer, then disconnects alittle longer.

Make sense? THink of a floressant light bulb. They blink, but they blink so fast that the human brain see's "light". If it's OK I'll wait for the fix release, something tells me it will solve my issues.

Connections refresh every few seconds, not milliseconds.