PorkWorks dev thread [Habitat Pack] [SpaceplanePlus]

Porkjet

I'm sure you'll figure it out for yourself once you start testing things, but liquid hydrogen by itself as a nuclear rocket propellant is an absolute $%^&.

Firstly, you'll need tons to get anywhere but these are vast tons that take up ridiculous amounts of space, so you'll need to make huge tanks that hold thousands of units of the stuff. Using the stock KSP tank mass ratios is just not workable for hydrogen alone, so you'll probably have to reduce that to a fraction of what it is.

Hydrogen/oxygen afterburning could work alright though, or any other number of exotic but poorer performing propellants.

Regardless of my opinions on that damn element, the tanks look very nice and I'm looking forward to some more habitat modules eventually.

Stock tanks, not so much, no. Copernicus just finished her maiden voyage on one tank of H2 with fuel to spare. Real Fuels, (70kg/m3 H2 density) realistic tank mass/realistic tank volume(liters). No drop tank. Granted it was within the confines of Kerbin only with a trip to the Mun, Minmus and back to Kerbin. (by way of the Mun again).

Sadly I left her unattended during her propulsive braking maneuver and the autopilot chose that moment to totally screw things up because when I returned it was still burning and was in an unrecoverable re-entry angle. I barely had time to get the Kerbals to the CTV and eject. G forces nearly killed them but TIL that service modules make serviceable ablative heat shields, at least for Stock Kerbin. (did I mention I had DRE installed?)

Hi there!

i guess it's time to let you guys play with the tanks.

Download Propulsion Pack

I switched to Dropbox because some of you had problems with mediafire.

This contains:

- A version of the stock NTR that runs on hydrogen

- big collection of hydrogen tanks plus really big 5m versions!

- VLADIMR plasma-thruster (yes I renamed it)

- big variety of argon tanks

- little Extra: Some structural adapters and a 5m strut cargo/docking bay (picture below)

oXvc8vt.jpg

j7VXU43.jpg

Turns out you can make some pretty usable landers with this too

(I increased the ISP to 850 to make up for the increase in tank mass, whole system is still slightly "inferior" to the overpowered LFO nuclear rocket, so: Nope, nothing cheaty here, this actually makes your game harder!)

5AoHOg9.jpg

This is the 5m bay. I'm honestly not sure how useful this thing is, or the adapters, or if I'll include them in the release version.

I'm curious about your opinions, have fun!

Hi there!

i guess it's time to let you guys play with the tanks.

Download Propulsion Pack

I switched to Dropbox because some of you had problems with mediafire.

This contains:

- A version of the stock NTR that runs on hydrogen

- big collection of hydrogen tanks plus really big 5m versions!

- VLADIMR plasma-thruster (yes I renamed it)

- big variety of argon tanks

- little Extra: Some structural adapters and a 5m strut cargo/docking bay (picture below)

http://i.imgur.com/oXvc8vt.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/j7VXU43.jpg

Turns out you can make some pretty usable landers with this too

(I increased the ISP to 850 to make up for the increase in tank mass, whole system is still slightly "inferior" to the overpowered LFO nuclear rocket, so: Nope, nothing cheaty here, this actually makes your game harder!)

http://i.imgur.com/5AoHOg9.jpg

This is the 5m bay. I'm honestly not sure how useful this thing is, or the adapters, or if I'll include them in the release version.

I'm curious about your opinions, have fun!

That truss looks beefy!

I've been toying with the idea of thickening the struts on mine but I dont want to mess with it too much after the PITA it ws before. Except maybe to go back and tweak the UV a bit since I guess I'm going with the carbon look. Still havent tried those textures out yet as I'm trying to get the UV map on my tank right.

Love all those new tanks. Would love some custom porkjet style ntr's tho. In regards to the 5m bay its very useful as a copernicus style fuel bay combined with jr dockports and the long tanks. The sizes are a little off tho. And another thing is that the argon tanks are matching with the hydrogengas tanks in the nearfuture plugin but not the argon tanks. How about making them expandable and bigger hydrogengas tanks and some hydrogengas powered engines like mpdt's etc. And also some nf looking argon tanks to expand on the selection? I like the "vladimir" engine but a fairing on it would be nice.

EDIT:

Here's the work nothke showcased in the hollow structural components thread. demonstrating the unfinished interior and his inspiration it.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Sorry for the duplicate picture. Posting on my phone and its not easy to upload and link etc.

And as im reading this i realized i posted the pics in the wrong thread. I was talking about how awesome it would be to have an inflatable lab and came to think of this lab with walking in iva.

Edited by landeTLS

Nice ship, Barty :)

Would love some custom porkjet style ntr's

I definetly want to do this. But you know, I want to do a lot of things, more than I have time for... :(

In regards to the 5m bay its very useful as a copernicus style fuel bay combined with jr dockports and the long tanks. The sizes are a little off tho.

Yes, i didnt make it for that purpose tho. I'd have to make a special tank designed for that bay, which is easy to do, but I'm not really sure where I'm going with this 5m bay, I thought of it more of a way to dock landers and other small spacecraft inside a big one, instead of having to mount them front or back, or on the sides causing center of mass issues. I was hoping someone would inspire me by finding interresting or exotic uses for that thing. We'll see :) I'll first expand on more habs now tho.

So here's what's currently going on in the inflatables Industry

Soonâ„¢

http://i.imgur.com/D2KzLHx.jpg

not Soonâ„¢

http://i.imgur.com/S7lgNxl.jpg

OH! That's that inflata-base thing that... someone... requested early on! Awesome-sauce.

I'll first expand on more habs now tho.

Was that punintended?

Edited by Starwaster