[WIP][TechTree @ 0.23.5] - [MS19e] - Realistic Progression LITE

MedievalNerd

This modset's goals are perfectly applicable for stock Kerbol scale fans. It's just a matter of scale ;) .

To use Realism Overhaul in combination with RealFuel, but sticking to Kerbol "scale" parts, you need to do the following:

Set the userealmass=false in the RealSettings.cfg as indicated in the OP. You can also have this at "true", this really only alters the masses of the different fuel types, resulting in different masses for your engines. keep it to "true" if you want a more complex engine/fuel management.

The bigger and more annoying task is to get rid of all the actual rescales that are used. Those are defined in the RealismOverhaul .cfg files and the engine cfg-set you use with real fuel (default is SFJBRealEngines). Basically open each .cfg file and remove all the following lines in each:

rescalefactor = x

MODEL {
scale = ...
}
nodeattachments

Rescale and the Model scale affect the visual representation of the part, whereas the nodeattachments define the position of the attachment nodes (surprise...), which were altered to fit the rescaled versions. Removing all those references will put all parts back to their default scale (usually fitting to the stock scale steps of 0.625 etc.).

If you want to get rid of all 0.5 step parts as well, you'll have to dig a bit more, there are some cfg that can be removed entirely (e.g. stretchy tanks, procedural fairings, real chute part versions for 0.5m steps).

It's a bit of a hazzle, but it's a onetime job.

Actually it might be nice to write a script/tool that alters the files as desired (basically scan each of the files in those folders and remove all rescale mentions) so you don't have to redo all this after every update of realism overhaul or RealFuel.

Thank you Senshi,

Finally I installed everything following the instructions, but left "Realism Overhaul Tweak/Resize Pack" completely out. I also changed the userealmass line in Real Fuels. For the moment, everything is working great. The only thing to what I have to get accustomed, is the different altitude values for the experiments. That's probably defined in the plugin file, so I will just live with it. Scales have not been an issue yet, but might become as I progress through the tree. We'll see...

If you don't want to use RSS then maybe this mod isn't for you?

MAKC, this is not a critique, nor a request to change anything. I think this tree looks very promising, and I want to test it. I've tried RSS, and didn't like it. I don't see anything wrong in trying to use the tree adapted to stock Kerbol System. MedievalNerd has even included instructions for playing this without RSS.

MedievalNerd, from what I have seen at the moment, this is awesome! I love your approach to science! Also, the tree is very nice balanced. You asked for ideas for the plane side of the tree. It might be interesting to look into adding the FireSpitter mod, as it adds propeller machines and would adapt nicely to the 50's era in the beginning of the tree.

Forgive me if this has been asked before as searching for b9 in the thread isn't something I can do as it is too short a search term.

I was wondering if anyone knows how compatible the b9 pack is with this. I know it isn't officially supported but I have no problem adding it myself. My only wonder is the isp and engines with RSS and the aerodynamics of it with FAR.

Thanks!

B9 isn't in my list, and has soooo many parts it would be hard to make it fit with the other potential mods I've been requested to add. B9 has I think now, 180+ parts? Sorting that in the tech tree would probably take several hours alone.

You can try it out, but as I mentioned in other comments, Mods which haven't been setup in the RPL tech tree, will default to their 'stock' tech node requirements. And since RPL is so huge, and has way more tech nodes, it might appear somewhere which doesn't make sense. :)

Thank you Senshi,

Finally I installed everything following the instructions, but left "Realism Overhaul Tweak/Resize Pack" completely out. I also changed the userealmass line in Real Fuels. For the moment, everything is working great. The only thing to what I have to get accustomed, is the different altitude values for the experiments. That's probably defined in the plugin file, so I will just live with it. Scales have not been an issue yet, but might become as I progress through the tree. We'll see...

MAKC, this is not a critique, nor a request to change anything. I think this tree looks very promising, and I want to test it. I've tried RSS, and didn't like it. I don't see anything wrong in trying to use the tree adapted to stock Kerbol System. MedievalNerd has even included instructions for playing this without RSS.

MedievalNerd, from what I have seen at the moment, this is awesome! I love your approach to science! Also, the tree is very nice balanced. You asked for ideas for the plane side of the tree. It might be interesting to look into adding the FireSpitter mod, as it adds propeller machines and would adapt nicely to the 50's era in the beginning of the tree.

Hi Dielos,

Yes, there is a way to make things work for Stock. It's just 'balanced' for non-RSS. I won't go over the details since Senshi was kind enough to set you on your way. :)

I think Nathan helped me rewrite part of the OP, so I think there is actually some instructions on how to try it 'stock' style.

Hello Medieval Nerd,

Are you implementing FASA 3.73 in your next Tech Tree ?

What is the Comm Dishes section ?

Where will the mining and construction tree will be implemented ? After the planet exploration probes tree ?

Any news that you can give us about the next Tech tree ?

Thank you for everything !!

Hello Medieval Nerd,

Are you implementing FASA 3.73 in your next Tech Tree ?

What is the Comm Dishes section ?

Where will the mining and construction tree will be implemented ? After the planet exploration probes tree ?

Any news that you can give us about the next Tech tree ?

Thank you for everything !!

#1 - Yes

#2 - The satellite dishes from RT2 & AIES

#3 - Either detached with a very high starting price, or somewhere higher connected to one of the experiment nodes.

#4 - The best update would be the recent picture I posted, and I also posted samples of experiments.

Had a party for a great friend leaving the east coast to go work for EA in Vancouver, so some of his friends organized this crazy party. I rarely drink, but ugh. lol. Let's just say, never drink a 'quad damage'.

Now with FASA installed the Realistic Progression LITE Tree seem to be a bit easy to brake isn`t it ? For example there are 2 fasa pods and at least 7 fasa engines available from beginning (unlocking the 0 science points starting technologies). Is that wanted like that or is something wrong with my install ?

I've just installed these mods, and i'm loving it. a lot harder, and way more fun. but i've got a few small questions.

1 - Can someone explain to me how the seismic accelerometer works now?

2 - Is there a use to the gamma ray spectrometer? What are these hotspots and where do I see them?

I realize i'm probably posting in the wrong forum, and that these are modules from specific mods... but I have no idea how to hunt down where they come from :P

Now with FASA installed the Realistic Progression LITE Tree seem to be a bit easy to brake isn`t it ? For example there are 2 fasa pods and at least 7 fasa engines available from beginning (unlocking the 0 science points starting technologies). Is that wanted like that or is something wrong with my install ?

After that the FASA Part seem in some senses not integrated. By example there s a liquid fuel tank wich dont seem to have real fuel capability, as in RO there are no more engines wich can just be fueled with liquid fuel this tank really don work nowhere

Edited by Durchschuss

Look 2 posts up where the authors says FASA will be integrated into the NEXT tree. The obvious conclusion (which you have no doubt deduced by now) is that FASA is NOT integrated into the current RPL - which explains your findings with respect to the parts distribution.

[TechTree] - [0.22] - [Milestone18] - Realistic Progression LITE (Get on TreeLoader!)

**UPDATE 2014/01/16 - New Installation instruction for using MS18 with 0.23! **

**UPDATE 2014/01/08 - RPL is now available via Tree Loader! **

Recommended Mods: Engines & Parts - (Engines, Parts, Probes & Much more)

#1 - KW Rocketry (link) - By Kickasskyle

#2 - Nova Punch (link) - By Tiberion

#3 - AIES - Link - Adds many later probe parts, as well as many interesting engines! And diverse solar panels (all tweaked)

#4 - FASA - link

Last edited by MedievalNerd; 4th February 2014 at 16:48. Reason: RPL - V18c - Fix (Removed Pack Update temp instructions for 0.23)

You see thats not the whole truth :).

Should the Thermal Fin from RealFuels be in the 'Advanced Kethane Processing' tab? Its config indicates its a starting part, but for some reason its in the AKP tech. Likely some other mod tweaked it, but I cant find it anywhere. Most likely cause would be the tech tree I'm using... which is this one. Is it supposed to do this, and if not, any ideas on how to find it?

You see thats not the whole truth :).
Should the Thermal Fin from RealFuels be in the 'Advanced Kethane Processing' tab? Its config indicates its a starting part, but for some reason its in the AKP tech. Likely some other mod tweaked it, but I cant find it anywhere. Most likely cause would be the tech tree I'm using... which is this one. Is it supposed to do this, and if not, any ideas on how to find it?

Hehe, as I've mentioned in previous posts. Whenever a modder updates his mod and adds parts, they aren't automatically put in logical places within RPL (Since they weren't there when I made the Milestone 18 tree), and will default to their standard 'stock tree' tech node. That combined with the fact that have probably 3 times as many node as the stock tree, things go a bit out the window with these new parts.

FASA will be move to a 'essential' mod with Milestone 19, since Explorer 1, Mercury & Gemini will have experiments part of the progression within them.

Non RPL / IRL Matters: I have managed to make the cut after the corporate takeover! Didn't get to keep my old title, but Project Manager will do for now! I can resume normal operations without fear of tomorrow. :)

Yay!

Hehe, as I've mentioned in previous posts. Whenever a modder updates his mod and adds parts, they aren't automatically put in logical places within RPL (Since they weren't there when I made the Milestone 18 tree), and will default to their standard 'stock tree' tech node. That combined with the fact that have probably 3 times as many node as the stock tree, things go a bit out the window with these new parts.

FASA will be move to a 'essential' mod with Milestone 19, since Explorer 1, Mercury & Gemini will have experiments part of the progression within them.

Non RPL / IRL Matters: I have managed to make the cut after the corporate takeover! Didn't get to keep my old title, but Project Manager will do for now! I can resume normal operations without fear of tomorrow. :)

Yay!

So, is there any way I can edit it to appear where it should, or hell just the start? Its an important part, and one of the only of its kind. Its config says its techrequired is 'start', and since that isnt putting it in the start tech node, I'm not sure what to edit it into.

Waiting for next Tech Tree from MedievalNerd, you can still use the Tree Editor, and move the FASA parts that you don't want in the Start Node to other Nodes, or let them in unasigned parts, then press F5 for save the tree and play your career !

TreeEdit link for download : http://www.kspmodders.com/forum/thread-9.html

Edited by kiko1004

So, is there any way I can edit it to appear where it should, or hell just the start? Its an important part, and one of the only of its kind. Its config says its techrequired is 'start', and since that isnt putting it in the start tech node, I'm not sure what to edit it into.
Waiting for next Tech Tree from MedievalNerd, you can still use the Tree Editor, and move the FASA parts that you don't want in the Start Node to other Nodes, or let them in unasigned parts, then press F5 for save the tree and play your career !

TreeEdit link for download : http://www.kspmodders.com/forum/thread-9.html

Great suggestion Kiko!

Using TreeEdit you could actually load up the latest version of RPL, and hunt down any mismatches and move them around. You can either then:

a) press F5 and lock the tree as is and continue your career.

B) Save a personal copy of this tree, and load it manually after selecting stock tree when you start a new career.

ALTHOUGH PAY WARNING TO THE FOLLOWING: When using TreeEdit, the F5 key is permanently bound to 'save tree state'. As such, if you do so outside of the research center you will be saving a 'blank' tree. If you want to use quicksave, you will HAVE TO rebind that key or else blank tree everytime you quicksave. To a any key OTHER than F5.

Cheers,

Hey Medieval, congratulations on the job :cool:

Well thank you!

Totally by the skin o' my teeth! (Megadeth reference)

My boss and co-worker of my department got sacked. So, yeah. I felt this was the closest corporate shave I've survived, and ever will... All this happened this morning, total shellshock! But life goes on, right? But who cares about life, when RPL Development can proceed instead! :D lol

Cheers,

Oh Great that you survived of it ! Hope that everything is okay for you now.

About the RPL mod : Don't forget to check the new RealChute release 1.0.1 with some differents parts than before!

And will you raise the price of some nodes, considerating that AIES, FASA and some new other science parts will give a lot more science points ?

Big Congrats for your RPL mod !

Yay!

Grats MN! i'm really happy for you! :)

Well thank you!

Totally by the skin o' my teeth! (Megadeth reference)

My boss and co-worker of my department got sacked. So, yeah. I felt this was the closest corporate shave I've survived, and ever will... All this happened this morning, total shellshock! But life goes on, right? But who cares about life, when RPL Development can proceed instead! :D lol

Cheers,

Great to hear, MedievalNerd. Been both sides of that fence far too many times.

But, eh, who needs work when you have kerbals to keep you company.

Seriously, congrats.

Hey MedievalNerd,

I'm working on an new Realism Overhaul cfg for Remote Tech 2, and I want it to fit in with your tech tree. Can you show me the order in which antennas unlock, or which nodes they unlock at?

I want to have a realistic progression (low power VHF, UFH antennas first, then the first C and S Band dishes, then large, high power, high bitrate X and Ku/Ka Band dishes).

I want to makes sure they unlock in a way that makes sense with the rest of the tree.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.