[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

So why wouldn't Squad add this to the stock game? At least make it an option on the settings screen.
Could very well be coming in the set of optimizations slated for the next release.

So is this a subtle way of saying you have some inside information?.... ;) ... lol

Was watching Scott Manley's 0.23 vid... He mentioned that Squad implemented a new texture loading system. Supposedly it compresses all textures on load now (both vanilla and mod textures). Does this make this mod redundant now?

Was watching Scott Manley's 0.23 vid... He mentioned that Squad implemented a new texture loading system. Supposedly it compresses all textures on load now (both vanilla and mod textures). Does this make this mod redundant now?

Quite possibly. I have to look into this tonight. I have a few tricks up my sleeve that should still be able to help in the longterm though I think.

looks like the texture loading didn't fix the bugs... So this mod still applies.

Which bugs are you referring to? I've personally still got huge water lag, even with my graphics settings turned way down.

I'm not finding your mod is squeezing very much more than Squad's compression, but 2MB is 2MB, so I'll happily take it. Besides, I'm sure it'll help out more when the few parts mods I use get updated.

[LOG 23:54:42.995] TextureCompressor: Memory Saved : 2MB

[LOG 23:54:45.277] AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'TextureCompressor' from assembly 'TextureCompressor'

It would be nice if there was a place in the KSP.log where you output the total savings or something like that... Total in, Total after this mod, Total saved....

If it is already there, sorry, I have missed it....

Great mod, really the #1 MUST have for people (like me) that are running lots of mods..... Thanks again.

Which bugs are you referring to? I've personally still got huge water lag, even with my graphics settings turned way down.

I'm not finding your mod is squeezing very much more than Squad's compression, but 2MB is 2MB, so I'll happily take it. Besides, I'm sure it'll help out more when the few parts mods I use get updated.

It looks like squad just converted tgas to mbms so they would compress. This will still help any mods that use tgas as textures.

It looks like squad just converted tgas to mbms so they would compress. This will still help any mods that use tgas as textures.

Yep, and for that I'm thankful. BTW: I can't see any issues running Active Memory Reduction. I think you could mark it 0.23 compatible.

Yes, it seems to be working very well. I have noticed that .23 and updated mods for it, are taking a lot more space than for the .22 version of ksp. I am trying to track the culprit(s), but same mod's (only updated to the .23 version) is taking 500 MByte more than .22 versions. I am running a LOT of mods, so it will take a little time to find out which one(s) are doing it. Is it possible that the changes that Squad did for compression actually might be causing this? rbray89, I would like to know if you think it is possible that their version is less effective than yours.

Anyway, thanks again for a truly great mod and I hope that the 'new' .23 has not become more bloated than before.....

Yes, it seems to be working very well. I have noticed that .23 and updated mods for it, are taking a lot more space than for the .22 version of ksp. I am trying to track the culprit(s), but same mod's (only updated to the .23 version) is taking 500 MByte more than .22 versions. I am running a LOT of mods, so it will take a little time to find out which one(s) are doing it. Is it possible that the changes that Squad did for compression actually might be causing this? rbray89, I would like to know if you think it is possible that their version is less effective than yours.

Anyway, thanks again for a truly great mod and I hope that the 'new' .23 has not become more bloated than before.....

I couldn't actually see anything different in their texture loading. There may have been unity updates though, so that could account for it.

It's odd that there is such a stark contrast. Are you using part mods? I'm thinking that they may be doing some pre-calculation work for parts and storing the info to speed it up, but that is just a guess.

taking 500 MByte more than .22 versions.

How do you check ? .Net/Mono use heap+garbage collector so you can't just check the size of the process to know how much memory is really used.

I should do a basic addon that display the heap usage ...

Boy, something like that would be great. I was going to get around to seeing if someone could somehow output a breakdown of what mod's were being used and how much memory they actually were taking / using. would be a great way to find the bloaters....

Thanks ....

Unfortunately, rumors have been spreading that Squad changed the texture loading mechanism. This does NOT seem to be the case. Looks like they did move to different texture formats for many textures though.

So does this work with 0.23? (for future mods) Because i heard that the update includes texture compression..or does it improve on it again?

On a stock install, the effect will be minimal (~2MB). On mods where there are lots of TGAs, the savings will be greater.