[1.12] Extraplanetary Launchpads v6.99.3

taniwha

*sigh* Can you try using the orbital dock instead of the pad? EL makes no distinction between the parts for allowing builds, but there are some minor difference between most pads and the dock. It will help me narrow down the problem

I need help on how to make rocketparts from metal. I have a ship with a full metal container, an empty rocketparts container and a construction workshop (the large oval light-blue thing) with some kerbals in it. Form my understanding of the mod I should be able to make rocketparts this way, but it doesnt happen. Screenshot: http://f.666kb.com/i/cmkvgttt2h59c3jb9.jpg

What do I need to do?

I need help on how to make rocketparts from metal. I have a ship with a full metal container, an empty rocketparts container and a construction workshop (the large oval light-blue thing) with some kerbals in it. Form my understanding of the mod I should be able to make rocketparts this way, but it doesnt happen. Screenshot: http://f.666kb.com/i/cmkvgttt2h59c3jb9.jpg

What do I need to do?

The construction workshop is to convert rocket parts into space ships.

To convert metal to rocketparts you need the "Kerbal Rocket Workshop" which looks like a square bit of concrete with a work bench on it. I think it even has like a wrench on it.

Oh and Kudos to you for testing on the launchpad. I've seen so many pictures where people are asking why such-and-such doesn't work and they're already on the surface of Mun.

And of course I've done that myself a time or two

I think the part you need is under pods, and looks like tall scalfolding with a torch and duct tape on the bottom shelf. I was trying to get one up for my base, and my game just crashed on me. I don't feel like waiting for 5 minutes to load up with all my mods. lol

Cheers for that Link Seawolf :-)

Just thought I'd try out this mod to see if there's a way to launch from other places on Kerbin Like a Barge near the poles,

As it seems silly to launch something like this 6000 ton Orion Pulse vehicle from the Space center's launchpad.....

screenshot6_zps568ee9d1.png

Businessend_zps901628cb.png

I tried with launchpad2, runway, BahamutoD's launchpad and orbital dock. You were right, it doesn't blow up when I'm using orbital dock. Not so lucky with other pads though.

Thank you. I thought it might be more to do with the SpawnTransform. Also, good to know that something works properly, which means I now have a direction in which to go to get the pads working without editing the models as that would not be fun for non-EL pads (eg, Hooligan Labs).

Well the Runway has been working for me just fine, Got my miner up, and deployed.

screenshot42.png

Then used my Crane I brought up to move a 8x8 base plate into position next to the Crane with some assistance from a Kerbal Rigger in moving the load.

screenshot44.png

Then moved and welded an empty Ore Container on the plate.

screenshot45.png

So the Runway is working. :)

Just think I may need to build a bigger crane later.:cool:

I posted this on Github as a bug, but it has caused a more immediate problem that I'd like to resovle. Any ideas out there?

I built a single solar panel on the ELP Orbital Construction Dock and then used an EVA'd Kerbal to "G"rab the solar panel using KAS's grab functionality. I did not "Release" it first, which seems to be the key to the problem.

Now, the dock only has the option to "release" but "release" doesn't do anything. I can't get into the build menu!

Closing the game and reloading does not fix it, nor does reattaching the solar panel to the dock. I looked in the persistent.sfs file and compared it to a dock without the problem and I don't immediately see what to do to fix it there, though I assume it is fixable.

Any ideas?

EDIT: I got it. I just didn't look down far enough. I was thinking it'd just be a flag or something but I had to modify the module. I just copied the entire good one over the bad one:

MODULE
{
name = ExLaunchPad
isEnabled = True
EVENTS
{
ShowBuildMenu
{
active = True
guiActive = True
guiIcon = Show Build Menu
guiName = Show Build Menu
category = Show Build Menu
guiActiveUnfocused = False
unfocusedRange = 2
externalToEVAOnly = True
}
HideBuildMenu
{
active = False
guiActive = True
guiIcon = Hide Build Menu
guiName = Hide Build Menu
category = Hide Build Menu
unfocusedRange = 2
externalToEVAOnly = True
}
ReleaseVessel
{
active = False
guiActive = True
guiIcon = Release
guiName = Release
category = Release
unfocusedRange = 2
externalToEVAOnly = True
}
}
ACTIONS
{
EnableBuildMenuAction
{
actionGroup = None
}
DisableBuildMenuAction
{
actionGroup = None
}
ToggleBuildMenuAction
{
actionGroup = None
}
ReleaseVesselAction
{
actionGroup = None
}
}
}

Worked like a charm. However, it'd be nice if the dock automatically detected if something was still attached. Even with KAS you could accidentally crash into the thing and dislodge or destroy it.

Edited by 5thHorseman

Well for Welding in the VAB I use Ubio Welding Ltd, same as Bob Fitch in his KSS videos. The Parts I welded on site are using Lazor System v32b, which allows you to weld 2 parts together during EVA. I pretty much just messed around to see what I could do. Found out that if you weld parts together in EVA and then grab the main part the parts welded to it explode. lol. Guess KAS doesn't like Lazor welded parts.

Well for Welding in the VAB I use Ubio Welding Ltd, same as Bob Fitch in his KSS videos. The Parts I welded on site are using Lazor System v32b, which allows you to weld 2 parts together during EVA. I pretty much just messed around to see what I could do. Found out that if you weld parts together in EVA and then grab the main part the parts welded to it explode. lol. Guess KAS doesn't like Lazor welded parts.[/QUOT

Thanks for info and reply.....I will check out the Ubio welding then. I make enough things explode without any extra help......

Fixing the pad to deal with any modification to the spawned vessel prior to release is not something I can do for a 4.0.X release, it looks like too big a job.

While I say "any", that might be a bit too strong. But I have run into a different, but related problem: docking to the spawned ship before releasing it is very likely to break the ship, though surprisingly gently: I had a spherical tank with docking ports on either end (the tank was the root ), docked a tug to the top docking port (bottom was against the pad) and hit release. The tug floated away with only the docking port and the rest of the spawned ship was permanently part of my station.

I think kerbals boarding the spawned ship is safe, but until I can get this fixed, my recommendation is to always release before doing anything. Not sure about adding and removing parts via KAS, but certainly don't remove the root part :).

5thHorsman: thanks for submitting the issue. You rock.

Fixing the pad to deal with any modification to the spawned vessel prior to release is not something I can do for a 4.0.X release, it looks like too big a job.

While I say "any", that might be a bit too strong. But I have run into a different, but related problem: docking to the spawned ship before releasing it is very likely to break the ship, though surprisingly gently: I had a spherical tank with docking ports on either end (the tank was the root ), docked a tug to the top docking port (bottom was against the pad) and hit release. The tug floated away with only the docking port and the rest of the spawned ship was permanently part of my station.

I think kerbals boarding the spawned ship is safe, but until I can get this fixed, my recommendation is to always release before doing anything. Not sure about adding and removing parts via KAS, but certainly don't remove the root part :).

5thHorsman: thanks for submitting the issue. You rock.

Thank you. It's the least I can do to help keep things straight.

So what you're saying is, when I recently used a construction platform to build a ship that itself had an orbital construction platform, and then without releasing it built several things on that 2nd platform, that was probably a bad idea? :)

Oddly enough other than this one little single-part thing where my Kerbal got all antsy and grabbed it before I could release it, I've not had any problems with the space dock.