[WIP] Cacteye Telescope v0.1 (2/1/14) - Modular, EVA-serviceable orbital telescope

Rubber Ducky

I know that this isn't trying to recreate reality or anything, and this is merely a cosmetic issue, but real space telescopes don't have a lens (or glass covering) at the open end. They are open to space. If you modified the CactEye to not have a lens (or whatever) at the end I would probably like this mod more. But if not it's still great. Just putting that out there.

I know that this isn't trying to recreate reality or anything, and this is merely a cosmetic issue, but real space telescopes don't have a lens (or glass covering) at the open end. They are open to space. If you modified the CactEye to not have a lens (or whatever) at the end I would probably like this mod more. But if not it's still great. Just putting that out there.

Yeah, that was 100% an aesthetic decision. My justification is that the ground crew kept dropping their wrenches down the optical assembly. Either that, or there's such a thick haze of spent solid rocket fuel around Kerbin that the lens is needed.

Maybe once I can get around to modelling some more parts for this I can make them without a lens.

Also, as far as KAS incompatibilities, it's going to take me a while to fix everything and get out a patch, but hopefully the next update will be worth it.

Well i tested the Mount and the processors on the ground and it seams to work just fine. When i remember correctly, I did shot my Kubble Space Telescope into Orbit before I updated KAS. Maybe thats the cause. Hrmmmm but that means I have to build a new one and shoot it up. *whine* What a bummer....

Yeah, that was 100% an aesthetic decision. My justification is that the ground crew kept dropping their wrenches down the optical assembly. Either that, or there's such a thick haze of spent solid rocket fuel around Kerbin that the lens is needed.

If there's a thick haze, a lens will prevent it from being deposited on the mirror... it'll just deposit on the lens instead.

I think that a choice of mirror coating would be great. Also some kind of KSO adapter would be useful.

What do you mean a choice of mirror coating? You want to simulate the difference between silver coating and something else? Or are you talking about that piece of glass at the front of the telescope that isn't a mirror.

Strange things happen, when i release old processor, it floats away. Than i grb new, try to store it. It appears on the other side of mout, phasing trough cargo bay wall. And when i try to release new one from ths strange position, docking port attached outside cargo bay explodes.

Did i messed something in VAB placing mount?

I think im a bit late to the party, since i discovered this mod just a few days ago, but i wanted to say Thanks! Love everything about it, it gives me another reason to dock and eva in space, while also doing science in a nice visual way. Even the bay by itself can be used with other sci instruments and stuff.

@kiwiak: Im not sure if it helps, but did you made the temp "fix" that was mentioned here ?

Strange things happen, when i release old processor, it floats away. Than i grb new, try to store it. It appears on the other side of mout, phasing trough cargo bay wall. And when i try to release new one from ths strange position, docking port attached outside cargo bay explodes.

Did i messed something in VAB placing mount?

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/60750-WIP-Cacteye-Telescope-v0-1-%282-1-14%29-Modular-EVA-serviceable-orbital-telescope?p=982576&viewfull=1#post982576

This is awesome! I've gained over 2000 science just from spamming the wide field 2 camera on Jool's moons!

Thanks rubber ducky!

Oohh, I didn't know you could science spam with this. That's a problem. Any chance of correcting this in a future release?

GavinZac posted a fix, the link is three posts above yours.

Would it be possible to throw together a v0.1a with the patch to help some of the less technical users here? (Not for me, I have no issues editing the files to taste, but it seems like some would feel more comfortable with a hotfix version.)

Oohh, I didn't know you could science spam with this. That's a problem. Any chance of correcting this in a future release?

You can't "science spam". You can put a seriously awkward telescope into space, run upgrade and maintenance missions and try to use it properly by waiting for good opportunities to actually use the telescope without blowing it up. As a reward, you get science. The largest batch of science you can get is when Jool is in the right position because then you have 5 bodies in close proximity to observe and 'photograph'.

You can't "science spam". You can put a seriously awkward telescope into space, run upgrade and maintenance missions and try to use it properly by waiting for good opportunities to actually use the telescope without blowing it up. As a reward, you get science. The largest batch of science you can get is when Jool is in the right position because then you have 5 bodies in close proximity to observe and 'photograph'.

It's not "Science spam" but it gives you a BOATLOAD of science just by looking at everything (Which is really easy to do). If you're running MechJeb it's painfully easy (Hence my current rule for myself of "No MechJeb on the telescope"), and you can get a LOT of science. If you boost the telescope to Munar or Minmus orbit - Hell, even a flyby - you can do it all over again from there. Pretty sure he's fixing the latter, and I THINK he's toning down the science of the observations, but I'm not sure.

It's not "Science spam" but it gives you a BOATLOAD of science just by looking at everything (Which is really easy to do). If you're running MechJeb it's painfully easy (Hence my current rule for myself of "No MechJeb on the telescope"), and you can get a LOT of science. If you boost the telescope to Munar or Minmus orbit - Hell, even a flyby - you can do it all over again from there. Pretty sure he's fixing the latter, and I THINK he's toning down the science of the observations, but I'm not sure.

"Science Spam" usually refers to the old style "run experiment, transmit, run it again, transmit" science experiments that were fixed before 0.23. We're agreed that this is not that.

Everything is going to be easy if you let MechJeb do it. Even so, the challenge to this is not pointing it in the right direction (though it can be difficult to get the full score for things that are far away), but in getting the thing into space at all. That should be harder again by another degree once cost is actually factored in (in 0.24, probably).

This let me unlock 2 or nodes, but I had to run 3 or 4 missions in order to do so. That's fair enough. I haven't tried putting it in orbit around other things, if it gives you the full score all over again, then yeah, that needs to be fixed. The score should be awarded just for how accurately you 'photograph' the object, and with what resolution (ie. the progressively better cameras). Is that not the case? Because all the experiments show up under "Sun" in my Science Archives, rather than in the section for 'in orbit around Kerbin'.

That's good to know. I don't mind spending time for science although I have so many science experiment mods I may have to raise the cost of the default tech tree for my next career game.

And despite how easy this is to use, I still managed to blow up the processor by attempting an observation of Moho when it was too close to the sun. Doh!

And despite how easy this is to use, I still managed to blow up the processor by attempting an observation of Moho when it was too close to the sun. Doh!

Yeah I haven't managed to get anything from Moho or Eeloo yet. Moho is too close to the sun, and Eeloo is on the other side of the sun, slowly making its way around.

Had a problem today. After exploding my processor I went up to put a new one in its place. However, both times when trying to attach the processor does not go into the socket but instead attaches below the socket making the entire thing go nuts. I'm the sure socket housing was in place properly as the processor was in correctly when first assembled. Is this a problem caused with the recent update to KAS?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.