BROKEN [0.90] TextureReplacer 2.1.2 (20.12.2014)

shaw

Hey shaw, so regarding an earlier post about making HUDs, would it be possible to add into the plugin a way for one to make an additional texture that works like the visor texture in which they'd draw a reverse HUD and have that layer be always lit up so in the dark it looks illuminated? if not then could you possible add a feature of just adding support for making a HUD texture? :D

Keep it cool! :cool:

Way too clumsy solution. Reflection Plugin would be a proper solution. However, it's for parts only and making it work with visors would take some work.

I have plans to (maybe) implement such functionality in TR somewhere in distant future.

Reflection shader? Oooh, I had no idea that even existed. That'll keep me busy for awhile! Thanks! :)

Hey shaw, so regarding an earlier post about making HUDs, would it be possible to add into the plugin a way for one to make an additional texture that works like the visor texture in which they'd draw a reverse HUD and have that layer be always lit up so in the dark it looks illuminated? if not then could you possible add a feature of just adding support for making a HUD texture? :D

You can (kinda) do this now. You'd need to make a visor texture with an alpha channel (.png format) matching your intended faux HUD, then beef up the values for "visorReflectionColour" in the TextureReplacer .cfg file. Hope that helps. :)

You can (kinda) do this now. You'd need to make a visor texture with an alpha channel (.png format) matching your intended faux HUD, then beef up the values for "visorReflectionColour" in the TextureReplacer .cfg file. Hope that helps. :)

That's what i've done :) i was just wondering he could add support for a unique texture so the two can be interchangeable without needing to photoshop each time :) and using visorReflectionColour wouldn't work as that's for the environment map textures, not the visor itself :P in fact the visor itself basically turns black in the dark lol

Another thing (just a suggestion)

A startet my Venture Star and fill it with passengers:

photo-3843-0719c42a.jpg

the Kerbals are without helmets...

Than they Fly in to orbit and they have no helmets on in space !!!:

uroODpR.jpg

It is possible to load the helmets if the air is to thin?

That would be possible, but not by using Unity's ligthning passes in the shader. Emission shaders use alpha channel for emission intensity but here it's already used for transparency, so a secondary, "emission" texture would be required. I'm afraid that means I would need to manually implement (override) all the lightning in the shader, but I'm not familiar enough with Unity to do that nor I'm willing to learn that. Ask rbray89, he has a lot of experiance with shaders in Unity.

Another thing (just a suggestion)

A startet my Venture Star and fill it with passengers:

http://www.kerbalspaceprogram.de/wcf/images/photos/thumbnails/large/photo-3843-0719c42a.jpg

the Kerbals are without helmets...

Than they Fly in to orbit and they have no helmets on in space !!!:

http://i.imgur.com/uroODpR.jpg

It is possible to load the helmets if the air is to thin?

No, that would require much more code than it's currently needed for helmet/jetpack-less suits in atmosphere. Switch to the space center and back to your flight.

That would be possible, but not by using Unity's ligthning passes in the shader. Emission shaders use alpha channel for emission intensity but here it's already used for transparency, so a secondary, "emission" texture would be required. I'm afraid that means I would need to manually implement (override) all the lightning in the shader, but I'm not familiar enough with Unity to do that nor I'm willing to learn that. Ask rbray89, he has a lot of experiance with shaders in Unity.

I saw this and thought, looks cool. Might have to give this a go.

Experimental 1.2.80 is available.

It goes away with `CustomKerbals/`, `GenericKerbals/` and `GenericKermins/` directories. All heads are now inside `Heads/` and suits are inside `Suits/`. Head and suit assignment is controlled in `Kerbals.cfg` configuration file. This way there's a little more control over suit assignment and duplicating textures can be avoided in some cases.

Experimental 1.2.80 is available.

It goes away with `CustomKerbals/`, `GenericKerbals/` and `GenericKermins/` directories. All heads are now inside `Heads/` and suits are inside `Suits/`. Head and suit assignment is controlled in `Kerbals.cfg` configuration file. This way there's a little more control over suit assignment and duplicating textures can be avoided in some cases.

This. This is what I wanted and didn't know. Thank you.

Yet... there is no obvious way to assign the default head texture to custom kerbals? Could you add a DEFAULT option for heads like you did for suits? Or am I missing something? (Because placing DEFAULT in the headtexN part of the string causes no custom suit texture the be loaded.) I don't really care that much about custom heads.

Edit - Nevermind that. Placing DEFAULT in the headTexN position of the string (or any other string that doesn't exist in the heads folder) does seem to work. It just didn't take the first time I tried for some bizarre reason.

Edited by Cydonian Monk

v1.3 released.

Directory structure has been reorganised, `CustomKerbals/`, `GenericKerbals/` and `GenericKermins/` have been removed. All heads go to `Heads/` now and all suits to `Suits/` directory. Personalised and generic Kerbal textures are set in a configuration file, which is not `TextureReplacer.tcfg`. This should make it possible to avoid several cases of texture duplication and make is possible to explicitly assign the default head or suit.

For modders, additional `*.tcfg` files can be added for pack-specific head/suit configuration.

Ok, call me confused.... How about a simple example as to the convention for Jeb's head, suit, eva and such. Finally got last version all decked out, now I am lost....

thanks.

edit,

Ok, I gave it a shot, and put one head 'head1.png' into "...\GameData\TextureReplacer\Heads"

the ksp.log shows it being used,

[LOG 17:05:02.752] [TR.Personaliser] Mapped head #0 -> TextureReplacer/Heads/head1

[LOG 17:05:02.770] [TR.Personaliser] Mapped Bill Kerman's head -> TextureReplacer/Heads/head1

and .tcfg has

CustomKerbals

{

Bill Kerman = head1

}

In game, this head is on Jeb and Bill's is the default.????

What am i doing wrong.?? This new methods will be fantastic ( to me ) once I have it figured out.

again, thanks.

Edited by drtedastro

Ok, call me confused.... How about a simple example as to the convention for Jeb's head, suit, eva and such. Finally got last version all decked out, now I am lost....

thanks.

Put head textures in `GameData/TextureReplacer/Heads/` and add appropriate entries to `TextureReplacer.tcfg` (examples are in that file).

thanks.

edit,

Ok, I gave it a shot, and put one head 'head1.png' into "...\GameData\TextureReplacer\Heads"

the ksp.log shows it being used,

[LOG 17:05:02.752] [TR.Personaliser] Mapped head #0 -> TextureReplacer/Heads/head1

[LOG 17:05:02.770] [TR.Personaliser] Mapped Bill Kerman's head -> TextureReplacer/Heads/head1

and .tcfg has

CustomKerbals

{

Bill Kerman = head1

}

In game, this head is on Jeb and Bill's is the default.????

What am i doing wrong.?? This new methods will be fantastic ( to me ) once I have it figured out.

again, thanks.

I don't know how this can happen. I cannot reproduce it. Do you have some exception from TR in your log (exceptions messages from TR begin with "[TR.TextureReplacer] ..." followed by stack trace)?

Hey shaw! Is it possible to have suits and helmets be assigned based on what cockpit/module the crew is in? So for example a kerbal spawns in an SSTO inside the mk1 cockpit and uses Airogue's SR-71 flight suit textures, then after docking and moving into the hitchhiker the kerbal could use a jumpsuit or polo-shirt texture (would be cool lol), and finally when the kerbal enters say the the mk.1-2 command pod to reenter in that (for some strange reason) he could then have on the texture for say a sokol suit or something (if someone made one) :D basically just have the IVA textures change dependent on the module, is that possible?

Hey shaw! Is it possible to have suits and helmets be assigned based on what cockpit/module the crew is in? So for example a kerbal spawns in an SSTO inside the mk1 cockpit and uses Airogue's SR-71 flight suit textures, then after docking and moving into the hitchhiker the kerbal could use a jumpsuit or polo-shirt texture (would be cool lol), and finally when the kerbal enters say the the mk.1-2 command pod to reenter in that (for some strange reason) he could then have on the texture for say a sokol suit or something (if someone made one) :D basically just have the IVA textures change dependent on the module, is that possible?

Yes, that would be possible now, after migration to configuration files. An idea for the next version.

I don't know how this can happen. I cannot reproduce it. Do you have some exception from TR in your log (exceptions messages from TR begin with "[TR.TextureReplacer] ..." followed by stack trace)?

I searched through ksp.log for TR.textureReplacer* and found none. ???

I am using the default .tcfg, with the only addition as shown above. ???

H'mm, any 'other' ideas.?

thanks.

Edit.

Have added an additional head head2.png

with the output from ksp.log

[LOG 18:46:22.573] [TR.Personaliser] Mapped head #0 -> TextureReplacer/Heads/head1

[LOG 18:46:22.574] [TR.Personaliser] Mapped head #1 -> TextureReplacer/Heads/head2

[LOG 18:46:22.609] [TR.Personaliser] Mapped Bill Kerman's head -> TextureReplacer/Heads/head1

The only thing that is changed is,

Jeb comes out with head1,

Bill has generic head

and head2 is nowhere to be found.

????

Edited by drtedastro

I searched through ksp.log for TR.textureReplacer* and found none. ???

I am using the default .tcfg, with the only addition as shown above. ???

H'mm, any 'other' ideas.?

thanks.

Edit.

Have added an additional head head2.png

with the output from ksp.log

[LOG 18:46:22.573] [TR.Personaliser] Mapped head #0 -> TextureReplacer/Heads/head1

[LOG 18:46:22.574] [TR.Personaliser] Mapped head #1 -> TextureReplacer/Heads/head2

[LOG 18:46:22.609] [TR.Personaliser] Mapped Bill Kerman's head -> TextureReplacer/Heads/head1

The only thing that is changed is,

Jeb comes out with head1,

Bill has generic head

and head2 is nowhere to be found.

????

In your first case, everyone should have head1 (because it's the only available head for generic Kerbals and you haven't blocked it with excludedHeads = ...) in your second case, Bill should have head2, others should have 50% chance for head1 and 50% for head2. I've tested your cases and everything works as it should. The only possible explanation is that an exception occurs when setting Bill's head. There has to be some exception during flight scene in your log.

In your first case, everyone should have head1 (because it's the only available head for generic Kerbals and you haven't blocked it with excludedHeads = ...) in your second case, Bill should have head2, others should have 50% chance for head1 and 50% for head2. I've tested your cases and everything works as it should. The only possible explanation is that an exception occurs when setting Bill's head. There has to be some exception during flight scene in your log.

I have pulled ksp.log into my editor and searched for the TR.TextureReplacer. Nada, none, zero and or zip.....

I have gone back to the previous texturereplacer, before these changes, and all works just fine...

i will keep watching this post to see if anything new pops out.

thanks.

v1.3.1 released.

It's now possible to configure part-specific (IVA) suits.

Thanks for implementing my idea shaw! :D

EDIT: hey and in addition did you change the way the EnvMaps from skyboxes work? I was reading the README.md and it said that they're all vertically flipped where as previously Positive Y was horizontally :)

Edited by Sippyfrog

Hello Shaw. Finally figured it out. Now have all working as it supposed to. Strange, dont know what i did, but I started from scratch and pushed and pushed and now have my family 'kerbalized.'...

To that point, who is a kerbal artist? I do engineering work. Nothing aesthetic at all.. I have some 'close' heads but need some editing done. If anyone out there can do and would try to show how they did it I would be greatful... Great fun, I want to try to get more of my nephews and such into capsules and send them movies. try to get them into ksp...

I would be very appreciative for any artistic help with the kerbal heads.....

cheers.

DrTedAstro.