BROKEN [0.90] TextureReplacer 2.1.2 (20.12.2014)

shaw

Thanks for implementing my idea shaw! :D

EDIT: hey and in addition did you change the way the EnvMaps from skyboxes work? I was reading the README.md and it said that they're all vertically flipped where as previously Positive Y was horizontally :)

No, I haven't changed how they work, maybe it was just a mistake in a very early README when envmap was initially introduced.

You are more than welcome to ignore me and make fun of this idea but I have been thinking about what I would like to see in the future from TextureReplacer. It would be a lot of work but I am more than willing to help with any artwork and testing required. This would make a great mod EPIC!

*Drum roll*

The idea is to make in game assignment of kerbal textures a reality. I have seen this done by other mods on parts so I know it could be possible. One picture is worth a thousand words so I made a concept view based on the Final Frontier window but the finished layout and style would be different.

texturereplaceridea_zpsf02c0fb8.png

Edited by Green Skull

You are more than welcome to ignore me and make fun of this idea but I have been thinking about what I would like to see in the future from TextureReplacer. It would be a lot of work but I am more than willing to help with any artwork and testing required. This would make a great mod EPIC!

*Drum roll*

The idea is to make in game assignment of kerbal textures a reality. I have seen this done by other mods on parts so I know it could be possible. One picture is worth a thousand words so I made a concept view based on the Final Frontier window but the finished layout and style would be different.

http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/w615/greenskullinc/texturereplaceridea_zpsf02c0fb8.png

I've already been thinking about such (similar) UI for TR 2.0 for some time now, but it's a lot of work, so I haven't started the UI yet. Actually, the new configuration files in TR 1.3 were a small step towards this.

So the newest version removes the ability to assign a group of heads to suits?

I have custom suits by name for Bill, Bob and Jeb. This ability remains using the tcfg file.

I have a bunch of male heads and suits in the GenericKerbals folder. Heads get randomly assigned to those suits only. This ability remains using the tcfg file.

I have a bunch of female heads and female specific suits in the GenericKermins folder. Heads get randomly assigned to those suits only. This ability has been removed.

I have all other suit related textures shared by all suits in the Default folder. This ability has been removed.

Am I understanding this correctly?

So the newest version removes the ability to assign a group of heads to suits?

I have custom suits by name for Bill, Bob and Jeb. This ability remains using the tcfg file.

I have a bunch of male heads and suits in the GenericKerbals folder. Heads get randomly assigned to those suits only. This ability remains using the tcfg file.

I have a bunch of female heads and female specific suits in the GenericKermins folder. Heads get randomly assigned to those suits only. This ability has been removed.

I have all other suit related textures shared by all suits in the Default folder. This ability has been removed.

Am I understanding this correctly?

The last one is not correct. If a suit is missing a texture the default one is used, just like before 1.3.

I'm sorry if I'm just being a bit thick, but I can't seem to understand the instructions on how to set custom Kerbals and randomized Kerbals.

Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out.

WybO6dC.png

Bill, Jeb, and Bob using set heads

XxRLTv6.png

some randoms

This is working great actually

Edited by jfull

rkEC1xG.jpg

Modified Sylith's head textures with more hair colour variations, removed eye shadows, some haircut fixes to fit better together at the back of a head etc.

Download:

Head textures only (12 MiB ZIP)

Head textures + source image (24 MiB 7Zip, source image included for those who want to make modifications)

Thanks goes to Sylith who made the original pack and gave permission for his textures to be modified & redistributed. You can download his original PSD file here. Consider it CC BY.

ChangeLog:

Updated 29.3.2014: made skin a little greener and used TextureReplacer 1.3-compatible directory hierarchy.

Edited by shaw

v1.3.2 released.

It's now possible to replace textures from GameData. To replace them, just put them into `Default/` directory under the same directory hierarchy as the original texture is in `GameData/`. E.g. to replace Mk1-2Pod's texture, which is in "Squad/Parts/Command/Mk1-2Pod/model000", put a new texture in "GameData/TextureReplacer/Default/Squad/Parts/Command/Mk1-2Pod/model000.png".

As a consequence of this new feature, it's not possible to have replacement textures in `Default/` inside arbitrary subdirectories any more.

Hey shaw, when this is used accordingly with Crew Manifest and you transfer kerbals from one module to the next they have stock textures on them until you go EVA and back inside, any idea why?

Yes, because transferring crew doesn't trigger any events that TR could hook on. For performance reasons, texture replacement is not run continuously but only when certain game events are triggered.

That could be easily solved in Crew Manifest by firing "onVesselChange" event after a crew member transfer. I've implemented such solution for Ship Manifest though, but its author haven't yet released the updated version.

v1.3.2 released.

It's now possible to replace textures from GameData. To replace them, just put them into `Default/` directory under the same directory hierarchy as the original texture is in `GameData/`. E.g. to replace Mk1-2Pod's texture, which is in "Squad/Parts/Command/Mk1-2Pod/model000", put a new texture in "GameData/TextureReplacer/Default/Squad/Parts/Command/Mk1-2Pod/model000.png".

As a consequence of this new feature, it's not possible to have replacement textures in `Default/` inside arbitrary subdirectories any more.

Man, I love you. Thank you for telling this to me. :)

Happy to see that you like and enjoy the pack!

Hi Proot ! :)

I really enjoy your work. Can you confirm that the latest version of your PimpMyClouds is 0.5 ?

Are you planning an update ? The Visual Enhancements: Clouds & City Lights mod has received a lot of updates since your 0.5 version. :)

I don't understand how the config works.

I have:

a head for the regular kerbals

a diferent head for the veterans kerbals

and a IVA suit+normal for the regulars kerbals.

(the veterans use the regular iva suit, and all the kerbals use the regular EVA suit)

How should be the config and where I should put the textures?

Thanks.

Let's assume all textures are in PNG format. Then you put the regular head to `Default/kerbalHead.png` and veteran heads to `Heads/` (e.g. `Heads/Jeb.png`, `Heads/Bill.png` and `Heads/Bob.png`), regular IVA suit should go to `Suits/Regular` directory (textures should be like `Suits/Regular/kerbalMainGrey.png`, `Suits/Regular/kerbalHelmetGrey.png` etc.). In `TextureReplacer.tcfg`, you should have something like:

CustomKerbals
{
Jebediah Kerman = Jeb DEFAULT
Bill Kerman = Bill DEFAULT
Bob Kerman = Bob DEFAULT
}
GenericKerbals
{
excludedHeads = Jeb Bill Bob
}

v1.3.2 released.

Are stock textures still loaded into memory with this?

Are stock textures still loaded into memory with this?

Yes. But should be unloaded when they are replaced. (I think that should already happen in the main menu.)

Hey, how do you make textures? I want to add some flair to my skybox by adding a nebula, but I have this issue of there being a sharp border when the nebula pic with the background stars. How do I blend and fade images? (I'm using GIMP)

Is it possible to check? What would the debug window show?

It would be possible to check when they are replaced if I printed some messages to the log, which was the case in early versions of TR but removed later because log messages have significant impact on performance. Textures are replaced at the beginning of the first scene after they are used on some model, which is the main menu in most cases (KSP has almost everything loaded all the time). After I replace a texture I call a Unity function that _should_ unload the original one but I'm not sure if it works. If that texture is reset or used elsewhere after unloading it still works, maybe because Unity automatically re-loads it or maybe because the mentioned function has no effect at all.

Let's assume all textures are in PNG format. Then you put the regular head to `Default/kerbalHead.png` and veteran heads to `Heads/` (e.g. `Heads/Jeb.png`, `Heads/Bill.png` and `Heads/Bob.png`), regular IVA suit should go to `Suits/Regular` directory (textures should be like `Suits/Regular/kerbalMainGrey.png`, `Suits/Regular/kerbalHelmetGrey.png` etc.). In `TextureReplacer.tcfg`, you should have something like:

CustomKerbals
{
Jebediah Kerman = Jeb DEFAULT
Bill Kerman = Bill DEFAULT
Bob Kerman = Bob DEFAULT
}
GenericKerbals
{
excludedHeads = Jeb Bill Bob
}

All the veterans share the same head, so I ended up with.

CustomKerbals
{
Jebediah Kerman = kerbalHead DEFAULT
Bill Kerman = kerbalHead DEFAULT
Bob Kerman = kerbalHead DEFAULT

}

GenericKerbals
{
excludedHeads = kerbalHead DEFAULT
}

Thanks

Errr, I set a head and suit for Jeb and Bob in CustomKerbals, but the textures are not showing upon EVA. They do show up in IVA though.

EDIT: I changed the suits and now the textures don't show up in IVA either.

Edited by Tangle

D'oh, missed that tidbit. Wondered why after updating, my planet textures & skybox were gone.