[1.8+] Real Fuels

NathanKell

You yourself can delete posts. Click edit, then click delete, then add a message and click delete. :)

As for throttling, as the FAQ in the Realism Overhaul OP says, that's entirely proper. Real rocket engines (with *very* few exceptions) don't throttle.

Is anyone else having problems with the rescaled SRBs (FOWDS & RT-5) or launch clamps? For me, both of the SRBs still look like the full scale 1.25m Squad parts, but with the attach nodes moved to the correct locations. Maybe this is due to the scaling changes (bug fix?) in 0.25?

Even if I turn the launch clamp pumps on in the VAB, when I launch the rocket, they are always set to "Pump Enabled: False" without a toggle to turn them on.

I've even tried a fresh copy of KSP with just Real Fuels v8.1 and the latest Stockalike RF engine configs (KSP 0.25 32-Bit on Win 7 64bit), but both problems persisted. :confused:

I have the same problem. I was meaning to mention this to you NathanKell, but I got a little caught-up trying to get a more aerodynamic/larger Thermal Fin into the mod.

Speaking of which, KSP-Interstellar already has a rather visually-appealing triangular radiator fin; the model for which would make s superior (and better-looking) replacement for the current Thermal Fin. Among other improvements, the radiator is not only triangular (and thus more aerodynamic) it is also black. REAL radiators are black in color, because that maximizes their Blackbody Radiation (color affects their emissivity under the Stefan-Boltzmann Law)- which is the *only* way to cool anything in space. There was a *reason* all the concept art for JIMO showed black radiators...

Maybe I could convince Fractal_UK (the creator of KSP-Interstellar) to allow a fork of the radiator model I was talking about (the large, triangular, black one), with a re-scale to bring the model down to a smaller (more reasonable) size? If so, maybe I could post a revised version of the Thermal Fin part using the new model (but same balance), and you could use it in the next release NathanKell?

Regards,

Northstar

Edited by Northstar1989

When i've installed real fules mod, all parts (besides aviation lights) had failed to load:/ I'm using KSP 0.25, 32-bit, with mods: Real solar system, KW rocketry, soviet engines, near future solar, mechjeb, aviation lights. After uninstalling real fuels mod and re-launching the game everything's get back to normal, all parts are in VAB:/ So what am I doing wrong?

OK I know what was the cause of the problem with missing parts - it was soviet engines mod. I've reinstalled everything from the begining, and without soviet engines pack - parts are back. Now I'm struggling with engines config, first I've installed "reaching for the stars" config and it had messed up sizes and attachment nodes for most engines:/ I'll try this "stockalike" config.

It seems that since installing realfuels I cannot rescale engines using tweak scale. Does anyone has the same issue? Thank you.

Everyone does. Engine tweaks scaling is disabled. (Edit: when using real fuels)

Edited by Starwaster

I just had an idea. How about adding a KAS container as a type of "fuel" for SM-type (or a new type altogether) tanks? It could be useful in that it would essentially result in a procedural KAS container, with an added ability to convert a part of it into, say, a water or food container. It'd be great for resupply vehicles like Cygnus and ATV.

Nathan, we have problems with RF (and MFT too, I think). Currently, mod incorrectly calculates the mass of complex details, consisting of several partmodules (Engines and Tank).

For example:

@PART[Kosmos_VA_RRV_Propulsion_Unit]:NEEDS[RealFuels]:AFTER[RealFuels_StockEngines]:FINAL // VA Propulsion Block
{
@mass = 0.112

@MODULE[ModuleFuelTanks]
{
@type = ServiceModule
@volume = 75
@basemass = -1
}

@MODULE[ModuleRCS*]
{
@name = ModuleRCSFX
@thrusterPower = 0.3293
!resourceName = DELETE
@atmosphereCurve
{
@key,0 = 0 250
@key,1 = 1 150
}
!PROPELLANT[LiquidFuel] {}
!PROPELLANT[Oxidizer] {}
!PROPELLANT[MonoPropellant] {}
PROPELLANT
{
name = UDMH
ratio = 47.823219
}
PROPELLANT
{
name = NTO
ratio = 52.176781
}
}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleEngineConfigs
type = ModuleRCSFX
techLevel = 1
origTechLevel = 1
engineType = L
origMass = 0.054
configuration = UDMH+NTO
modded = false
CONFIG
{
name = Hydrazine
thrusterPower = 0.3293
PROPELLANT
{
name = Hydrazine
ratio = 1
}
IspSL = 0.23
IspV = 0.72
}

CONFIG
{
name = HTP
thrusterPower = 0.3293
PROPELLANT
{
name = HTP
ratio = 1
}
IspSL = 0.2
IspV = 0.465
}

CONFIG
{
name = Nitrogen
thrusterPower = 0.3293
PROPELLANT
{
name = Nitrogen
ratio = 1
}
IspSL = 0.1
IspV = 0.195
}

CONFIG
{
name = UDMH+NTO
thrusterPower = 0.3293
PROPELLANT
{
name = UDMH
ratio = 0.47823219
}
PROPELLANT
{
name = NTO
ratio = 0.52176781
}
IspSL = 0.396
IspV = 0.943
}

CONFIG
{
name = MonoPropellant
thrusterPower = 0.3293
PROPELLANT
{
name = MonoPropellant
ratio = 1
}
IspSL = 0.243
IspV = 0.64
}
}
}

This code should (in theory) give us the part with dry mass not less 0.166 t (without multipliers in MFTSettings.cfg), but in-game we can see two pictures below:[table=width: 500]

[tr]

[td]Part just after selection, tank is empty[/td]

[td]Same part, tank filled[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]DotNVX2.png[/td]

[td]nEHPBu1.png[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

You can't have two pass settings in a MM patch, so either use AFTER[whatever] or FINAL, not both. I'm not sure, beyond that, what's going wrong, the cfg looks ok to me. I can't test it, however, I'm away right now.

Ingame, can you hit Alt-F12, go to Database->Configs, scroll down to the part config for the part, and click Debug on the right? That will show the final config passed to the game. Make sure everything looks right...

You can't have two pass settings in a MM patch, so either use AFTER[whatever] or FINAL, not both. I'm not sure, beyond that, what's going wrong, the cfg looks ok to me. I can't test it, however, I'm away right now.

Ingame, can you hit Alt-F12, go to Database->Configs, scroll down to the part config for the part, and click Debug on the right? That will show the final config passed to the game. Make sure everything looks right...

Sorry to interrupt here and slightly off-topic, but if you reload the database from in-game will MM patches and RSS etc still be applied afterwards?

Isn't RF supposed to override the mass of the tank (unless basemass=-1) and use its own basemass? (for example basemass = 0.000016 * volume etc does an override)

I'm seeing that this test below is still including the base mass of the tank AND the extra mass as tank volume is increased or filled. For example, a PART with mass=10 and MODULE ModuleFuelTanks as shown below has a total mass of 10+13000*0.000016+13000*X where X is the additional tank type definition mass per volume.

In my part file:

MODULE

{

name = ModuleFuelTanks

type = MyTest

volume = 13000

}

In a tank config file:

@TANK_DEFINITION[Default]

{

@name = MyTest

!TANK[Aerozine50] {}

!TANK[MMH] {}

// various other lines like these

!TANK[MON3] {}

!TANK[MON10] {}

// all the same

}

Felbourn, that confuses me greatly; I've not seen that ever occur before. What part are you adding the module to, and what is the entire (patched) config of the part?

I hope it's not going to be a stupid thing staring me in the face... this is the output of a MM database debug dump, plus some comments I just added.

{
name = KW3mtankL4A
module = Part
author = KW Rocketry
rescaleFactor = 1.0
scale = 1.25
node_stack_top = 0.0, 6.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -6.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3
node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, -1.515, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 3
TechRequired = veryHeavyRocketry
entryCost = 25920
cost = 51840
category = 0
subcategory = 0
title = Odyssey Short Core Fuel Tank
manufacturer = KW Rocketry
description = an unpainted 3.75m liquid fuel tank..
attachRules = 1,1,1,1,0
mass = 146.7 // I set this so it would sort properly with my part organizer when sorting by wet mass
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.3
angularDrag = 2
maxTemp = 1550
crashTolerance = 10
breakingForce = 1500
breakingTorque = 1500
MODEL
{
model = KWRocketry/Parts/Fuel/KW_Universal_Tanks/KW_Fuel_3mL4A
scale = 1.25, 1.25, 1.25
}
MODULE
{
name = ExtendedPartInfo // a module I programmed myself; just adds extra UI to the in-flight part popup
}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
type = Odyssey_Core
volume = 140000
}
MODULE
{
name = TweakScale
type = Scale_Stack
defaultScale = 3.75
}
}
TANK_DEFINITION
{
name = Odyssey_Core
basemass = 0.000016 * volume
TANK
{
name = LqdOxygen
mass = 0.000014
utilization = 1
fillable = True
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 0.0
temperature = -183
loss_rate = 0.00000001
note = (lacks insulation)
}
TANK
{
name = Kerosene
mass = 0.000012
utilization = 1
fillable = True
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 0.0
}
TANK
{
name = LqdHydrogen
mass = 0.000002
utilization = 1
fillable = True
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 0.0
temperature = -253
loss_rate = 0.00000004
note = (lacks insulation)
}
TANK
{
name = NTO
mass = 0.000016
utilization = 1
fillable = True
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 0.0
}
TANK
{
name = UDMH
mass = 0.000016
utilization = 1
fillable = True
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 0.0
}
}
PART

The tank shows a mass in the VAB that is correct, but once taken to the launch pad it jumps up by 146.7 tons.

Edited by Felbourn

...snip...

The tank shows a mass in the VAB that is correct, but once taken to the launch pad it jumps up by 146.7 tons.

Not that I claim to know much (configs looks ok to me), but if it were me I'd dump TweakScale and see what happens. Betting you've tried that, though.

@NathanKell: Just saw on your comment on Felbourn's latest Alexandria vid (awesome vid, BTW!) that RF had solid rocket motor thrust curves. How'd I miss that?!? Checked out RO for some examples, but is there any nice (read: easy) way of creating those key => value pairs?

Not that I claim to know much (configs looks ok to me), but if it were me I'd dump TweakScale and see what happens. Betting you've tried that, though.

@NathanKell: Just saw on your comment on Felbourn's latest Alexandria vid (awesome vid, BTW!) that RF had solid rocket motor thrust curves. How'd I miss that?!? Checked out RO for some examples, but is there any nice (read: easy) way of creating those key => value pairs?

Oh that reminds me....

@NathanKell: I just looked over https://github.com/NathanKell/ModularFuelSystem/blob/master/Source/ModularEngines.cs and it seems like this uses the same code or at least same module as EngineControllerV2? So basically I can just remove that DLL, then.

*EDIT* LOL I just looked at the thrust curve for RealismOverhaul\REWORK\RO_FASA_BigG.cfg and I guess I'd have to call that a "flipping the bird" curve. :)

Edited by Felbourn

is there any nice (read: easy) way of creating those key => value pairs?

I use Unity to create them for me, and it's easy. If you want, draw a line with any paint program, imgur it for me, and I'll make a curve that matches your desire.

1. I thought I tried it.

2. I thought if I used the tank at its defaultScale then it would not matter anyway since I've only had issues in the past when scale was changed.

It is a TweakScale interaction bug of some kind after all, so I must not have tested it enough. I removed the DLL and the tank was correct. I put the DLL back and the basemass was treated as -1 instead of the TANK definition. I was wrong... it appears to be basemass=-1 instead of basemass=old mass + default tank + added tank. At least... that's what it was doing now after several changes during testing.

Mod DLLs found:

Assembly-CSharp v1.0.0.0

ModuleManager.2.5.1 v2.5.1.0

aaa_Toolbar v1.0.0.0

ActiveTextureManagement v1.0.0.0

BDAnimationModules v0.0.0.0

CameraTools v0.0.0.0

CITUtil v1.0.0.0

NodeHelper v1.1.0.0

FusTek_Sumghai v1.0.0.0

CrewManifest v0.5.9.0

CrossFeedEnabler v0.3.5393.40022