Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Why not place just two small stack separators either side of it and then just build the panel fairing off them. Then it will split into two and look kewl-er.

Oh, and is it some sort of rocket powered monorail?

Strength, that support has to hold over 100 tonnes lol,

each one of those structural covers is connected to the lower stage by struts, has a habit of snapping off when you change direction otherwise (Btw i did test it in space already, just the engine not with a pay load, looks awesome as is:))

Edited by Roflcopterkklol

Strength, that support has to hold over 100 tonnes lol,

each one of those structural covers is connected to the lower stage by struts, has a habit of snapping off when you change direction otherwise (Btw i did test it in space already, just the engine not with a pay load, looks awesome as is:))

K.

Is it a rocket powered monorail,type thing?

K.

Is it a rocket powered monorail,type thing?

New design on the command turtle, smaller, much stronger in every way (Especially the landing gear/wheels), lighter, all the same function and a launch system to get it to the mun from Kerbin, planned on being a long term recon, has a science lab built in to the rover, if i can get it to the mun safe i should be able to get it to some other places too, The rocket i posted is the main sail, not exactly sure how many of those i am going to need to get it up to be honest, do know 1 engine is enough to lift around 220 tonnes so may be able to do it with one, im thinking 2 would be smart with an extra line of fuel though being that they are thirsty.

Atleast 2 weeks ago, i created a projectile that could almost travel at the speed of light...

But now, i have perfected it, by angling the engines.

FEAR THE LIGHT SPEED PROJECTILE MARK DOS!

mdkYf60.png

Not impressed yet? What? You aren't?

Okay, maybe its not that big, but you have to give it props for making a trip to the sun in under 7 minutes

K8DsjEX.png

My scientists tell that the time this thing takes to travel to the sun,

Is barely enough time to eat 6 Big Macs.

And yes, it does require infinite fuel.

Well, between the tests me and giggleplex did, it seems close to the sweet spot - lower number of blades allows for a higher RPM (better possible top speed) but lower thrust. (And those engines are heavy : p) + higher rpm will make those engines more unstable.

4 bladed engines have less RPM, higher thrust but lower top speed (requiring more wings to fly at those lower speeds)

When the differences in speeds are only a coupler of m/s, the inconvenients become to offset the gains :P

The most effective way to gain speed is to have more torque to drive the engine - to overcome the countertorque created because the propeller wants to act as a turbine :)

Basically, a propeller let on free run on a moving aircraft will naturally turn in reverse - when you approach your top speed, the forces between the 'turbine effect' and the generated torque tend to equilibrate.

What if you a pair of 4 blades and than a set of three blades. Balance?

I think I improved it... a bit.

Old:

http://i.imgur.com/sNviC.png

New:

http://i.imgur.com/7ImlGfb.png

Note that I have since updated the aesthetics of the shuttle so there aren't as many gaps.

PS Should I keep the docking ports on the boosters?

Huge improvement. I say keep the docking ports. They really add to the look. Plus, it's only 2 parts.

So, I must say, I haven't been releasing much lately. And I even promised stuff like military ships. This post is kind of an explanation of all that. You see, I have been playing. It feels great to see my savefile expanding with the bits and pieces I already have on my release page! Finally the Moho launch window is done, and boy what a relief. Those burns are long. You see, I ended up sending two of these there, one with the crew (note: those fuel tanks are FULL after trans-Moho insertion. I had already burnt four) and another towing an Eagle Base Pack:

VBdiKSr.png

After that, as you can imagine, I swore never to attempt another 2.5km/s burn on a >500 part ship with T/W of about 0.1. For obvious, lag-related reasons. I didn't have a problem per se with the long burn time (I almost nailed the ejection burns, less than 200m/s in midcourse corrections even though I had to perform them during at least two orbits). So I came up with a nifty concept for deploying Eagle-serviced bases: use the Eagle itself as the drive! I did augment it a bit with some engine pods those are another thing I could very well release as part of something. They are pretty awesome looking and can get fuel from any of the three ports they come with, the only problem is getting good alignments when installing them. So onwards and sunwards, with more pieces for the future Moho surface base! Doing that should prove I can deliver one of these almost anywhere... :cool:

2t1zPWN.png

fAVposl.png

That saves parts, and therefore lag, and I also think that it looks more than passable to the eye. Besides, I don't need to pretend I need heatshields in Moho, do I? And speaking about Base Packs, the final one for my Minmus hexagonal base has finally arrived, and unpacking has begun. That should go more quickly now and I'll be finally able to show the final product, plus offer the improved version. I have noticed that the Eagle and its Base Pack are the most popular downloads in my page, so they deserve some love!

VtmUU74.png

VWh1y1O.png

Anyhow, that is mostly what I have been doing with my KSP time... well, other than building, of course. I haven't forgotten my promises, and although the muse has been finicky, I have built "a thing or two" that I really should get around to finishing and releasing...

6Q1hoce.png

K3M8SDw.png

CrH96NX.png

ujzN2OD.png

CPW5wBG.png

And that's without counting the ideas I have for long-term projects, of course. Just the stuff for which the design has been more or less locked in place. So don't you guys think for a second I am getting tired of this awesome game! And I do know I have been unnecessarily cryptic as to what each of those things in the last stretch of pictures are, but that's part of the fun... care to guess what they are? (the B9 ships are obvious of course, big carriers, but there are two real-life concepts in there, for example).

Rune. In other words, I'm horribly lazy releasing stuff.

Edited by Rune

Guest Space Cowboy

I am still not sure why this plane exists in my computer. I have allocated ample room under wing near the CG for heavy stores, and of course it could be modified to carry a Buran or whatever. Flight is very controlled now, very docile, but deep stall recovery is difficult. I found out that you can limit the control surface inputs to a given axis. WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT. Not sure if it's a Kerbal thing or a B9 thing. BTW where's the B9 creations thread?

screenshot16_zps09a785c1.png

screenshot28_zpsdf099f68.png

screenshot20_zpsacca2dfa.png

So, I must say, I haven't been releasing much lately. And I even promised stuff like military ships. This post is kind of an explanation of all that. You see, I have been playing. It feels great to see my savefile expanding with the bits and pieces I already have on my release page!

This is great to see, Rune!

You know, it's from seeing your posts in the forum that inspire me to design my large interplanetary ships to pull from the front, or as close to it as feasible depending on the design. I consider it an invaluable lesson on keeping long motherships stable, and have you to thank for that.

Of course, I'm sure we'd all be happier if you were releasing new ships every other day :sticktongue: - but it's really good to see that you're still actually playing the game and enjoying it! :D

So until the release of your MkXXXII SSTO (If I have my Rune Numbering System correct) I for one look forward to hearing more! :)

Edited by The14th
typos

This is great to see, Rune!

You know, it's from seeing your posts in the forum that inspire me to design my large interplanetary ships to pull from the front, or as close to it as feasible depending on the design. I consider it an invaluable lesson on keeping long motherships stable, and have you to thank for that.

Of course, I'm sure we'd all be happier if you were releasing new ships every other day :sticktongue: - but it's really good to see that you're still actually playing the game and enjoying it! :D

So until the release of your MkXXXII SSTO (If I have my Rune Numbering System correct) I for one look forward to hearing more! :)

Thanks! The tractor configuration is indeed the key of a stable multi-part wobbly mothership. KSP connections being what they are, designing stuff to work in tension work almost as much wonders as in real life! :D Of course I can't take credit for that, not only was done in KSP long before I did it, but it is something my teachers actually taught me, and there are plenty of RL concepts that save loads of structural mass that way (the ISV in Asatar being based itself on RL concepts like MEDUSA). Glad to be spreading the good word! Just remember that bug in KSP code that turns engine gimball useless. I have actually discovered that putting the engines in wobbly pods with powerful reaction wheels can take care of that and create a working "engine gimbal", BTW.

Oh, and the Mk XXXII is actually something I did for the joy of it:

DDdpFcc.png

I think I copied it from a pic by Mesklin, hence why I won't release it. We are at the Mk XXXVIII already! (That is actually another copy, this time from Levelord, R-SUV is very Russian/Chinese that way, at least for internal use ^^'). I count pretty much all stock concepts and prototypes and copies now to confuse you guys further, sorry! :wink: But I would give the Mk XXXVII to anyone that cares to test-fly it and do an imgur mission album. I don't remember what it does! :blush:

ZwjFJ5q.png

Rune!

What is that blue glowing thing at the center of the ship in the fourth-to-last picture!

It looks amazing!

Yup, as Giggle says, those are the B9 reactors to give juice to the power-hungry B9 sci-fi engines in "NERVA mode".

Rune. I hated structural analysis in uni, but turns out it's a useful subject sometimes.

Edited by Rune

So it is just a little bitty rocket.

http://i.imgur.com/1xeRN6j.jpg

Hmm i can not seem to get the fuel to burn evenly between those two side rockets, they flame out at the same time but for reasons unknown the one on the right uses its fuel faster, more fuel lines connecting the two stages maybe?

They are already connected but i am thinking the lines are not enough to put all the fuel through fast enough maybe?

On a side note, on my way to test this thing on the Mun for the first time :) made orbit with a heck tonn of delta V left and im thinking about changing the launcher to get it further.

TOyApUq.jpg

Edited by Roflcopterkklol

Hmm i can not seem to get the fuel to burn evenly between those two side rockets, they flame out at the same time but for reasons unknown the one on the right uses its fuel faster, more fuel lines connecting the two stages maybe?

They are already connected but i am thinking the lines are not enough to put all the fuel through fast enough maybe?

Hmm, I honestly can't see the craft in enough detail to tell how you have it fuel routed =P

I usually just refer to this post from the tutorial page whenever fuel flow is funky on one of my rockets and it usually helps me sort it out (usually me doing something stupid with my routing). Although I'm sure you're already well aware of that post and other advanced fuel routing soo I'm probably not much help =(