Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

I've been working on Galileo , I've gotten it on suborbital trajectories, but for some reason I can't interact with I-beams and such, and staging sometimes. With that and multiple overheat buginess, I'm wondering if I should hold the STS-34 payload till 1.1 and release the Space Shuttle standalone? What do you think about that?szpoCEE.png

Added more solar to the Tanker for faster mining. Fixed struts and fuel lines. Reinforced QuadroDock to eliminate longitudinal flexing under full thrust. Added proper lightning:

nyhNDVRijjj4G4mgBKLO0T-5v9vmA6aAc1VhzL3BCWTT4DB48MPweUumyDb_HWBUN-oC0QwOQK7k409MguhB_UltiDdPuKNMDUR7z0sl8EqVcg0r-9t8gRF8jHrd4rt3B9v2wKjj

Not sure why KerbalX flags it as "modded" after I remove the KER and MJ modules. There are almost 200 suspect parts to sift through...

Mission report BY YOUR COMMAND.

Edited by Torquimedes

Can't post pictures right now, but I tested the Dragonfly on Minmus and it works better than I expected. I was able to take off, fly several kilometers away, slow to a stop, fly around for a landing site, touch down, and ascend to a 25km orbit. The orbit insertion was done with less than half the tank left.

I've also added two more upward firing thrusters, so it may work on the Mun now, I'll have to see.

I'm working on a new design/function motif. Essentially, I'm wrapping the upper half of the engines with wing parts in order to form an aerodynamic cowl, it looks like a hood. I'm really liking the bird-like aesthetic and they are very maneuverable.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by arise257

So obviously I don't post very often, but I love looking at everyone's work. Anyway here is a Jool project I was working on a little while ago. Unfortunately I haven't much time to keep working on it recently, and as it is, it probably isn't super suitable for the mission yet. Hopefully I'll have time to work on it some more soon.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Edit: Ha, it took me a moment but I fixed the album link.

Edited by CMac

I'm making a heavy atmospheric transport/SSTO based on the Fireflash from Thunderbirds.

So far the atmospheric version has demonstrated ability to takeoff, circumnavigate Kerbin and land in under an hour, with a 58 tonne payload. The next stage is to figure out where to put that payload - right now it's just in spare fuel.

The SSTO version is the first SSTO I've built since before 1.0, so I am really not sure what I'm doing. Still, so far it's been quite successful: 55 tonnes of spare fuel carried to LKO on the first run. Heating cooked off the canards and I forgot RCS/reaction wheels though, so still very much WIP. Hopefully once fully developed it will be easily capable of hauling big reds to stations.

It's be very helpful if someone who knows more about how to build and fly SSTO's than me (e.g. practically anyone who's ever got one to orbit) could do some testing and modifying to help sort out its many issues and optimize it to be as useful as possible.

Anyone who would want to do this, here's a link: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/138146-The-Craft-Test-Thread/page2#12

LHbY7vl.jpg

9w3bEAD.png

VFla8fx.jpg

TEq4l3A.png