[WIP] Vessel View: v0.4

PeteTimesSix

Im semi-back maybe!

Yup. One thing to note though, I havent touched the standalone code in a while so some of the features arent present (namely the part selector).

Awesome. Im gonna stea-appropriate that for the next release if thats okay with you.

Be my guest, I just updated so it should play nicer, had too many @ signs.

Well that was an extremely unproductive couple of days.

Oh well. I finally got around to adding the moduleManager configs (thanks Read have Read), at least. Ive also exposed the config to the RPM init files, so you can have heat display screens or such without having to use my pagehandler.

Hopefully this saves other modders the headache of having someone come into their thread reporting a bug caused by my inadequacy.

Edited by PeteTimesSix

Its an edit you make to the page definition for a RPM screen. So for example to make the RPM default MFD display heat on startup, you would edit the DefRPM.cfg file in Patches:

@PROP[RasterPropMonitorExampleMFD]{

@MODULE[RasterPropMonitor]{

PAGE

{

name = pluginVesselView

button = buttonR4

PAGEHANDLER

{

name = InternalVesselView

method = ShowMenu

buttonClickMethod = ButtonProcessor

buttonUp = 0

buttonDown = 1

buttonEnter = 2

buttonEsc = 3

buttonHome = 7

pageTitle = ---------- Vessel Viewer ----------

multiHandler = true

}

BACKGROUNDHANDLER

{

name = InternalVesselView

method = RenderViewer

pageActiveMethod = PageActive

multiHandler = true

}

}

}

}

Simply add the following:

buttonEsc = 3

buttonHome = 7

colorModeMesh = 4

pageTitle = ---------- Vessel Viewer ----------

multiHandler = true

If you remove the PAGEHANDLER block or replace it with a custom one, you have to put these into the BACKGROUNDHANDLER block instead.

Its an edit you make to the page definition for a RPM screen. So for example to make the RPM default MFD display heat on startup, you would edit the DefRPM.cfg file in Patches:

Simply add the following:

If you remove the PAGEHANDLER block or replace it with a custom one, you have to put these into the BACKGROUNDHANDLER block instead.

OOOOOhhhhh, I thought it was a separate file that contained the setting. Thanks for clarifying.

I really like 0.4, got a bit of a bug though with the RPM version, turn it on and then leave the pod on EVA, come back in and the VV display is blank and the controls don't work, fixed if you switch to another view and then back to VV, it's not a big issue but a fix would nonetheless be appreciated, also would be nice if VV's menus looked more... RPM, doesn't really look like the other RPM views imo.

Ok, so I have attempted to do my diligence and read through this entire thread to make sure someone has not already requested this so..

If it is at all possible, I would absolutely love a view that would show drag values from FAR on the plugin. Something just like the heat display would be super killer. This would allow me to quickly identify ugliness regarding my various design's aerodynamic qualities. Thank you very much for the work you've already done for us!

Ok, so I have attempted to do my diligence and read through this entire thread to make sure someone has not already requested this so..

If it is at all possible, I would absolutely love a view that would show drag values from FAR on the plugin. Something just like the heat display would be super killer. This would allow me to quickly identify ugliness regarding my various design's aerodynamic qualities. Thank you very much for the work you've already done for us!

I concur. That's a useful idea.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a couple ideas to extend VesselViewer:

1. In descent, when the altitude is below 200-300 meters, a schematic representation of the ground would be nice, preferably as an actual line depicting a "cut" of ground relief. This would be very handy when landing.

2. When docking and something like 10-15 meters away from target, it would be very nice to see the target craft represented as well.

Hmm, how would that work though, ground could be done with radar I guess, but something as complicated as a nearby ship, would it use a 3d model of the other vessel and whatever system the docking uses to figure out relative position? I know it's a game but I like to think about things from a systems up perspective. Radar could give a vague outline of a nearby vessel but it couldn't give you details or negative spaces etc

I have a couple ideas to extend VesselViewer:

1. In descent, when the altitude is below 200-300 meters, a schematic representation of the ground would be nice, preferably as an actual line depicting a "cut" of ground relief. This would be very handy when landing.

2. When docking and something like 10-15 meters away from target, it would be very nice to see the target craft represented as well.

I really like the idea of the schematic representation of the ground, similar to how the craft is shown in a schematic but in 3-D instead with a moving dot above it to represent the craft. I don't know when the altitude radar begins to work but it should be accesible as soon as the radar starts to work, otherwise it should say NO SIGNAL. I don't know if it's possible but it would be awesome!

For docking I would stil use a docking camera.

Regarding the ground, it would seem quite difficult to represent the ground in 2D. If the ground were sloped in only one direction, it would seem that the ground might be completely flat on one axis, while sloped on another.

It *would* be really nice to have a sister mod to this that displayed a 3d wireframe of the ground beneath you though. Perhaps if HullCam could produce wireframes that would be a better place to expect it.

With 0.23.5 I finally have performance I can tolerate on my laptop when RPM is in use, so I grabbed this to play as well. Then I noticed there's still an issue with x64 Linux...doah.

Adding another voice to the hopeful crowd of us alternate OS users? :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.