The dumbest thing you have ever built?

michaelphoenix22

1 hour ago, Kerbal4 said:

nice wing design.

Thanks! I had to keep the center of drag as far back as possible until making LKO, due to the highly unaerodynamic washing machine payload. I suppose I could have put it in a fairing, but that would have been less dumb and we can't have that.

• 1 month later...
On 1/25/2014 at 4:23 AM, michaelphoenix22 said:

i was giggling like a school girl launching it.

Well, I was giggling like a maniac just looking at it.

As to my dumb creations, it's hard to tell, I tend to be pretty conservative with my designs and even when I do something stupid like firing an SRB powered super sounding rocket straight up to hit the Mun, the craft itself wasn't exactly a "dumb" contraption.

That said, depending on one's definition of "impractical", perhaps some of the drag racer type designs I made once may qualify. I don't have screenshots and my memory is a bit fuzzy but some of the designs I think consisted of a bank of enormous rocket motors and a small crew cabin, basically the definition of "too much power", borne out by the fact that if I recall correctly these designs would invariably loose control and enter a transonic flat spin on the runway.

AviosAdku

I don't even know where to start. Building dumb things is kind of my raison d'etre.  Though  I don't know if I would call them dumb so much as ill-advised, impractical or of no identifiable use.

I guess if I had to choose one, it would  be this monstrosity built for @Kergarin's Breaking Ground Walker Speed Challenge: It completed the race (1/3 of the KSP Runway) in a blistering 13 minutes (the next place above me did the same in 33 seconds).

I named it Forrest, as in Forrest Gump. (https://kerbalx.com/Klapaucius/Forrest)

For me, it was a towering behemoth of a space station (like the starports in stellaris)... it had multiple hundreds of parts and had a giant rotating ring. Fully modular too so it could be constructed in space without using ridiculously wide fairings.

"Why is that stupid?" I hear you ask.. well, my potato computer struggles to run vessels over 30/40 parts.

I named it "The Station of the Wishful Thinker"

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.