[1.10.0] Final Frontier - kerbal individual merits 1.10.0-3485

Nereid

KSP 1.1.0  

853 members have voted

1. 1. Is FinalFrontier working in KSP 1.1.0?

• Yes
    • No
    • It doesn't matter; this poll was just created to remove the outdated old one...

hello and good evening, maybe someone is using the ksp rank ribbon pack. i have a question how to use it. it is installed via ckan. it is shown in the Final Frontier "Ribbon" section.

How does my Kermans become these rank Ribbons? other Ribbons will distributed after every mission.

Thanks for help

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 6:38 PM, M4ssler said:

hello and good evening, maybe someone is using the ksp rank ribbon pack. i have a question how to use it. it is installed via ckan. it is shown in the Final Frontier "Ribbon" section.

How does my Kermans become these rank Ribbons? other Ribbons will distributed after every mission.

Thanks for help

You can assign your kerbal ribbons manually 

Edited by Berlin

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/07/2016 at 8:38 AM, M4ssler said:

Thanks for help

You have to manually award them as a Custom Ribbon.

I would be REALLY REALLY keen if there's anyone out there who can work up a plugin to award them automagically, though..?

3 hours ago, Kdoge20 said:

i install it but it didn't show up what i did wrong? i did using this version ^

i said it still doesn't work on 1.0.5 what i did wrong?

I don't know what you did wrong.  I can't see your computer. 

Two minor bugs, neither of which is even half as big of a problem as the issue with the Mach ribbons.

One: the 4000m landing ribbon does not supersede the 3500m landing ribbon. Kerbals who are awarded the former get both.

Note that the 3500m landing ribbon does supersede the lower ranks properly. Kerbals who get the 4000m and 3500m ribbons for a high enough landing don't also get the 3000m and lower ribbons.

Two: typos in the names of the ribbons awarded to the Kerbals who make the "First First [sic]" landings at Kerbin's north and south polar ice caps. To paraphrase a naughty joke from a certain 1974 movie, you said "first" twice.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2016 at 5:07 AM, SmarterThanMe said:

I would be REALLY REALLY keen if there's anyone out there who can work up a plugin to award them automagically, though..?

The most important part is to think about an algorithm for awarding the ribbons. The provided "FinalFrontierAdapter" will let you keep track of the number of contracts completed, the science points researched, the number of missions flown, the number of dockings performed and the total mission time. You can use these as parameters, and you can use the Kerbals' stupidity and courage ratings and things like that too.

My thought would be to assess the number of Kerbals and their current 'ranks' from your rooster and then have a rule to 'pick' which ones are up for promotion. It will probably be really hard to make one rule that suits everybody's taste in playability though.

Speaking of the FinalFrontierAdapter, can we get a revocation method in the API? That way we can e.g. revoke obsolete ribbons when awarding new ones.

Edit:

I am not all that used to Git and Github. When I follow the link there it shows branch "master" by default. Turns out I need branch "1.0.x" of FinalFrontier instead. That means I can add a reference to the revoke method from the adapter. That's nice!

An update to the official release would still be good, to make sure everyone uses the same version of Final Frontier, but it is not time essential. Maybe once KSP v. 1.2.0 comes out would be a good time to add the revoke method to the official released version DLL/API.

Edited by Rodhern

On 27/08/2016 at 1:11 AM, Rodhern said:

The most important part is to think about an algorithm for awarding the ribbons. The provided "FinalFrontierAdapter" will let you keep track of the number of contracts completed, the science points researched, the number of missions flown, the number of dockings performed and the total mission time. You can use these as parameters, and you can use the Kerbals' stupidity and courage ratings and things like that too.

My thought would be to assess the number of Kerbals and their current 'ranks' from your rooster and then have a rule to 'pick' which ones are up for promotion. It will probably be really hard to make one rule that suits everybody's taste in playability though.

I think there needs to be a system.

Each year there should be a Promotions Day. On that day, a dialog is thrown up that puts the eligible qualified candidates forward for the player to choose people to promote.

Those candidates are listed in order of the eligibility.

Eligibility is determined by things like you say, contracts completed, science points researched, missions completed, flight time AND length of service on their current rank. Have to come up with a formula, but because its all down to the player, it doesn't need to be perfect.

I think that there should probably be limits on the number of people at certain ranks (the General ranks).

And retirement would also be useful. To remove kerbonauts from the ranking consideration.

If it can be user-configurable, then that'll make it all work for everyone's tastes.

Anyone willing to help me do this? :D

1 hour ago, SmarterThanMe said:

I think there needs to be a system.

Each year there should be a Promotions Day. On that day, a dialog is thrown up that puts the eligible qualified candidates forward for the player to choose people to promote.

Those candidates are listed in order of the eligibility.

Eligibility is determined by things like you say, contracts completed, science points researched, missions completed, flight time AND length of service on their current rank. Have to come up with a formula, but because its all down to the player, it doesn't need to be perfect.

I think that there should probably be limits on the number of people at certain ranks (the General ranks).

And retirement would also be useful. To remove kerbonauts from the ranking consideration.

If it can be user-configurable, then that'll make it all work for everyone's tastes.

Anyone willing to help me do this? :D

This is almost exactly what I proposed a little while ago.  But instead of something that works directly within FF I wanted to make a stand alone plugin.  No luck so far. You can check out my concept here

http://stockvisualmods.com/career_hub/mod.html

1 hour ago, SmarterThanMe said:

Good thinking. Let the player decide between the eligible candidates. Instead of a yearly day you could choose to spawn the dialog whenever the player enters the administration building. Finally some use for that building, right? Also, no need to prevent the player from checking for candidates as often as he/she likes.

I forgot to mention one other 'simple' parameter. The game keeps an experience log (inside CrewRoster) where you may check if a kerbal has say planted a flag on Minmus or flown suborbital at the Mun et cetera.

Probably a simple matter of awarding a retired ribbon to the Kerbal. Or, did you have something more fancy in mind?

It could be user configurable, just be careful not to let the complexity skyrocket. Those that like to fiddle with the exact distribution of ribbons probably are awarding them manually anyway.

Apologies if this question has already been answered, but a quick search didn't give me any results (quite surprisingly to me i must say): I'm trying to map the ribbons provided by Nereid to RSS, but i can't get it to work, they are never awarded, only the non planetary ones.

Here's part of the CelestialBodies.info, which i put into GameData/RealSolarSystem:

Spoiler

Mercury
{
   gas giant = false
   FinalFrontier
   {
     ribbon path  = Nereid/FinalFrontier/Ribbons
     ribbon group  = Moho
     base prestige = 1000
   }
}

Venus
{
   gas giant = false
   FinalFrontier
   {
     ribbon group  = Eve
     base prestige = 1100
   }
}

Earth
{
   gas giant = false
   FinalFrontier
   {
     ribbon group  = Kerbin
     base prestige = 1200
   }
}
Moon
{
   gas giant = false
   FinalFrontier
   {
     ribbon group  = Mun
     base prestige = 1300
   }
}

Here is the output_log for the first entry (Mercury as Moho):

Spoiler

FF: loading celestial body info for Mercury

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 64)

FF: reading section for plugin ''

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 64)

FF: celestial body attribute gas giant is false

FF: reading section for plugin 'FinalFrontier'

FF: celestial body attribute FinalFrontier.ribbon path is Nereid/FinalFrontier/Ribbons

FF: celestial body attribute FinalFrontier.ribbon group is Moho

FF: celestial body attribute FinalFrontier.base prestige is 1000

According to CelestialBodyInfo.cs there should be one more entry here, telling me that it worked or not. I'm assuming this is where it goes wrong i just can't figure out why. Especially as other mods do it just like that too (i copied/edited the .info of OPM). Any help will be appriciated by world first hogs Jeb and Valentina :wink:

On 29/08/2016 at 6:16 PM, Rodhern said:

It could be user configurable, just be careful not to let the complexity skyrocket. Those that like to fiddle with the exact distribution of ribbons probably are awarding them manually anyway.

Sounds good. Now anyone willing to do it? :D

Otherwise, it'll have to wait for me to learn how to do it. I'm up to making a computer say "hello world" at the moment... Heh.

For what it's worth: I've tentatively traced an occasional crash/hang I was having to this mod.  Symptoms were that upon switching to an EVA'd Kerbal (not starting EVA - switching to one already on EVA) who is eligible for one or more new ribbons (including some that superseded others), the game would hang indefinitely, after writing out to the log that it couldn't award a ribbon because it was superseded about a dozen times.  Nothing else would then occur, and KSP would have to be force quit.

As I said: This is a tentative diagnosis.  The issue did not occur every time, and there may be other mods in play.  (I'm also running Field Experience - I'd like to check if that is interacting somehow.)  What I really have is that the issue occurred moderately regularly with Final Frontier installed, and hasn't in my sessions since I removed FF.  That may be luck at this point.

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Aloriel said:

Is there a way to revoke a custom ribbon? I awarded someone a rank ribbon, but then decided they deserved a promotion. Now they have a ribbon for the old rank and the new one.

Yes, if you are doing it from the GUI (i.e. normal game play). There is a config setting (also in the GUI) that says "Revocation of ribbons enabled" - you have to turn that one on first (glowing green).

[It is the API adapter that is missing the revoke function reference; but let's hope that is fixed at the next update].

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.