[0.90] Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System v4.13

helldiver

Thanks! That did the trick... I've been playing KSP for quite a while, but had not had issues with memory before. Thanks for the heads up and for the fix. Using ATM Basic things are running again :)

It seems like no matter how many times i try i cannot survive atmospheric reentry. I use FAR and Deadly Reentry and even with the newest patches nothing works. First the shuttle comes screaming into the atmosphere at ridiculous speeds not slowing down, then at about 35 km i see effects yet Deadly Reentry says the parts are only at like 350 degrees C, and the ablative shielding is barely, BARELY (at like 0.3 per second) wearing down, then suddenly my wings explode and so do the landing gear and it all goes downhill from there, any help? :P

I'll look around my install and see if anything is messing with it.

I put jr docking ports on that cargo bay docking assembly, will we not have to do that in the future?

i'm getting the same problem... the hud and the rastaprobmoniter won't show the airplane like hud or display....

ANY help or news on this? (warning: i'm running linux. any windows solutions i may not be able to do under linux)

oh it seems the "ghost" folder in the KSO folder has the HUD... i checked the config and i'm wondering if the newest version of rastaprop moniter is doing something funny with the textures and or tint of the textures.(a.k.a HUD)

is there something wrong here or not?

Edited by AntiMatter001

i'm getting the same problem... the hud and the rastaprobmoniter won't show the airplane like hud or display....

ANY help or news on this? (warning: i'm running linux. any windows solutions i may not be able to do under linux)

oh it seems the "ghost" folder in the KSO folder has the HUD... i checked the config and i'm wondering if the newest version of rastaprop moniter is doing something funny with the textures and or tint of the textures.(a.k.a HUD)

is there something wrong here or not?

No, this may be a Linux compatibility related issue. We'll look into it in 1.10 which is coming soon.

@Westi29; are you also using Linux?

And no, multiple shuttles is not planned until Squad fixes memory handling. Otherwise we'd have to swamp people with resources.

No, this may be a Linux compatibility related issue. We'll look into it in 1.10 which is coming soon.

And no, multiple shuttles is not planned until Squad fixes memory handling. Otherwise we'd have to swamp people with resources.

ooooooo~~~ ETA! ETA!

-sparkly eyes- please?

and you could... all you'd have to do is copy the KSO folder and rename the shuttle parts to something else then use the other texture... i think... will look into it.

It seems like no matter how many times i try i cannot survive atmospheric reentry. I use FAR and Deadly Reentry and even with the newest patches nothing works. First the shuttle comes screaming into the atmosphere at ridiculous speeds not slowing down, then at about 35 km i see effects yet Deadly Reentry says the parts are only at like 350 degrees C, and the ablative shielding is barely, BARELY (at like 0.3 per second) wearing down, then suddenly my wings explode and so do the landing gear and it all goes downhill from there, any help? :P

It seems that your parts are exeedind their g-tolorance, try a more shallow reentry angle.

ooooooo~~~ ETA! ETA!

-sparkly eyes- please?

and you could... all you'd have to do is copy the KSO folder and rename the shuttle parts to something else then use the other texture... i think... will look into it.

The problem is that the texture that the name is in is FRIGGIN HUGE and takes up a lot of RAM. Helldiver did it this way to cut down on the amount of textures, and to reuse as many textures as possible.

What I came here to say: The shuttle is unlandable with FAR, at least on my pc. I've only successfully landed it once. The problem is that it doesn't really have any drag when FAR is installed, which means that it'll still be moving at 1.6 km/s at 10 kilometers after reentry. The only thing that slows it down is turns and climbs, and even when I got it below 100 m/s (which was hard) it didn't want to stay on the runway. Maybe this problem could be looked into?

EDIT: Oh, and a suggestion: How about a variation on the current nosecone, that can fold back and reveal a docking port?

Edited by wasmic

The problem is that the texture that the name is in is FRIGGIN HUGE and takes up a lot of RAM. Helldiver did it this way to cut down on the amount of textures, and to reuse as many textures as possible.

What I came here to say: The shuttle is unlandable with FAR, at least on my pc. I've only successfully landed it once. The problem is that it doesn't really have any drag when FAR is installed, which means that it'll still be moving at 1.6 km/s at 10 kilometers after reentry. The only thing that slows it down is turns and climbs, and even when I got it below 100 m/s (which was hard) it didn't want to stay on the runway. Maybe this problem could be looked into?

It's a problem that you had to put it through a series of turns to slow it down?

You do realize that the space shuttle had to slow down in much the same way? (not climbs, you can get by with just turns)

The whole point is to aim its lift vector behind it. The X-37 has to slow down the same way during re-entry. That's what it means to have realistic aerodynamics.

i have almost the exact same problem, it feels like the shuttle absolutely does not want to slow down in the atmosphere :P

It's a problem that you had to put it through a series of turns to slow it down?

You do realize that the space shuttle had to slow down in much the same way? (not climbs, you can get by with just turns)

The whole point is to aim its lift vector behind it. The X-37 has to slow down the same way during re-entry. That's what it means to have realistic aerodynamics.

But 700 m/s, just a few hundred meters above sea level, WHILE GLIDING? Trust me, the way it handles for me is absolutely ridiculous and not very realistic - or at least very counter-intuitive.

But 700 m/s, just a few hundred meters above sea level, WHILE GLIDING? Trust me, the way it handles for me is absolutely ridiculous and not very realistic - or at least very counter-intuitive.

Is this with "stock" kso or have you tried the config in this post:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/68429-0-23-Kerbin-Shuttle-Orbiter-System-v1-09-aka-Kerbin-Mini-Shuttle?p=957530&viewfull=1#post957530

I'm using that config but i still had some problems with it even before that, so yeah with that cfg it's still happening :P

I'm using that config but i still had some problems with it even before that, so yeah with that cfg it's still happening :P

I'm using FAR and DeadlyReentry (pretty aggressively too. Temperature exponent set to 1.11) and while difficult, I have figured out how to renter this thing. You need to stay above 39K altitude and S turn until your velocity drops at least to ~1500 or as low as you can. You just keep your vertical speed around -50 as long as possible. It does glide a long way so when the space center is in sight you have to deploy speed brakes but not so much that you loose all your energy and land short. It's very tough and I have almost landed perfectly. Last attempt I was just left of the runway, but walking distance away. BTW I touched down at about 90 m/s but I did make use of the speed brake on the way down. Went subsonic very close to touchdown though. The model could use a bit more drag for FAR.

It definitely flies like a brick but that's what I would expect. And I wasn't using the altered config last night.

Edited by mdapol

I also think that while the addon is great and I'm very greatful to the developer, that it's way, way, way overpowered. It just doesn't fit with stock performance. I've had to cut fuel and thrust values in half and the torque from the command pod is just ridiculously weak. I increased it from 2 to 12 (the Mk1-2pod is ~25) so it's only slightly squirrelly. I think future iterations should have they're values tweaked a lot. Unless the differences are due to FAR I'm not sure why the current values were chosen. A mini-shuttle shouldn't be able to go all the way to the moon. IMO

No I run an iMac haha.

Have you had issues with the japanese module breaking off and floatingaway ?

No - It's been fine. I have a couple stations up with it docked and deployed. I've read where others have issues with it... breaking... floating... but I haven't had any of these... Don't really know why either but I'm not complaining ;)

Rick

What's your descent profile like? When I tested the cfgs I would usually be at around 1000-2000m before going sub-sonic. I also nosed up for as much of the reentry as I could, to bleed off speed. The deorbit maneuver is usually only around 100m/s, so if you come in real steep you're going to scream in like crazy no matter what you do. And I tend to come in almost ballistic right until the end when you pull up to land. It's an MM config, so heck, take a stab at the FAR settings! :) I borrowed most of the details from the stock FAR configs or the B9 mod configs, so I'm sure they could be improved. If you get something you like, post it up.