[0.23]Baha. Parts for Extraplanetary Launchpads v1.2 (3/2/14)

BahamutoD

These are so much better than the original one. I hope these are officially added to the pack!

They make all the other EL parts look even worse than they already are, adding them to the official pack would be a huge divide in quality, EL's author should just commission BahamutoD to re-haul all the EL parts.

A minor tweak for the proletariat, if you could add the tech tree designators into the config so we can have them in career mode. Otherwise, these look fantabulous.

The tech tree tags should already be in there. The small one is in advConstruction and the large one is in advMetalWorks (the same as kethane). Is it not working?

That new launchpad is beautiful! How do you plan for things to connect to it though?

I was thinking that a KAS port could be attached to the tank or whatever you attach underneath the launchpad.

The launchpad idea is really neat. Not surprised to get such a result from you, man )

However, I'd like to add just a thought - would super to have a launchpad with a possibility to build a rover on it, so it could drive off from a launchpad easily.

Also, hoping for your motivation to create replacements for smelter & rocketparts workshop (at least for them). You are a "Zzz-for-ELP-mod"! Keep it up, man! (and not only in KSP - guitar is nice as well)

I'm trying to come up with a way to fit a folding ramp onto it. The launchpad is still in the concept/design phase so any suggestions are welcome.

I think taniwha is releasing some new parts by Aeon in a future EL update, including a new smelter which I think looks just fine so I probably wont do that, but I may try to come up with something for the rocketparts workshop.

The main mod is in, at least in my opinion, in desperate need of model rework, so this is perfect. Any plays on adding more?

On another completely separate note. I haven't played the EL mod much, but I have noticed there are several launchpads, and only one of them looks like something that took more then 30 secs in Maya to put together. Are all the launchpads the same when it comes to function?

The second launchpad in the pack has its own command unit, thrusters and fuel tanks for landing it, but I feel that the attachment nodes are still awkward (anything attached to it will interfere with its deployment), so I'm trying to overcome that with my version. I still want it to be modular rather than a standalone part.

Edited by BahamutoD

Have you considered just releasing them to do science as well as in core samples they would make a very good addition to the science role

I have considered that actually, but I'd rather make a separate part as a science drill. Some day maybe.

Well it didn't take long to do a quick resize and retexture, so here you go:

FYEyPoK.png

Download Surface Sample Drill (Mediafire)

Wow... Very nice. I've never really read into EL, but does that mod introduce resources? Just the fact that this is for EL instead of Kethane confuses me.

EL doesn't introduce resource mining, but Kethane does. EL adds a resource to mine (Ore) and two resources to convert (Metal and Rocket Parts). This allows you to drill ore in style. Sadly, converting ore to rocketparts requires one of the ugliest models in the game.

I personally use a modded Kethane converter to convert Ore to Metal. It's a little *too* easy, but the smelter is just such an eyesore.

EDIT: I've looked into this a bit more and added a custom smelter to my mix, the one here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59545-0-23-Extraplanetary-Launchpads-v3-7-1?p=926438&viewfull=1#post926438

I opened the texture in Gimp and inverted the colors so it's mostly black with some green splotches. Looks like maybe it's been used to refine copper a little bit :) The original texture was just way too white for me. Now all we (Well, I) need is a good model for a rocket parts converter...

Edited by 5thHorseman

I personally use a modded Kethane converter to convert Ore to Metal. It's a little *too* easy, but the smelter is just such an eyesore.

Yeah I've model swapped all EL parts with kethane models, since those can actually be assembled into ships/landers etc, EL's parts are so comically large it's not really possible to get them where you need them with FAR etc.

I know what you mean. I tried it out a long time ago but wasn't impressed with the part models. I picked it back up recently to add more depth to me career mode, and now that I know how to model, I figured I should try making it more usable.

I've talked with taniwha a bunch of times about EL's models and he seems incapable of understanding my point of view when I say they're ugly, huge, and impossible to work with, as far as I know he just hyperedits all the parts onto the surface of minmus and string them up using KAS pipes or something, or builds them from the parts in the self contained launch pad of silly, I think kethane is a good mod to emulate here, it's parts can be assembled into actual landers/stations etc, they're not building sized things that can't fit together.

I can understand him not being able to model etc (I can't either), but I don't understand him thinking EL's models aren't a problem holding it back.

What did the vehicle with the smelters look like? my problem with them is that they're so tall, can't really come up with a design that isn't just strapping rocket parts to the outside of them in a ring a bit like a asparagus launcher except smelter in the middle instead of central booster.

What did the vehicle with the smelters look like? my problem with them is that they're so tall, can't really come up with a design that isn't just strapping rocket parts to the outside of them in a ring a bit like a asparagus launcher except smelter in the middle instead of central booster.

Pretty much what I made:

screenshot53.png

please note that workshop and auger could be mounted differently and fit into fairings nicely (or go on a different craft)

Thoguh I really hate this thing. I forgot to put a docking port on it and instead of shipping one and attaching, I lifted it above the surface and crashed with all the hatred it deserves

Edited by Queril

Yeah but that's not really a sensible design, that's more akin to stuffing all the parts into a bag, it works, but it makes no logical sense and it's not symmetrical in any way, I never said it's impossible to get EL parts where you need them, just comically impractical.

Yeah but that's not really a sensible design, that's more akin to stuffing all the parts into a bag, it works, but it makes no logical sense and it's not symmetrical in any way, I never said it's impossible to get EL parts where you need them, just comically impractical.

As sensible as any lander vehicle :P

Most problems is not getting it there, it's actually balancing the CoM for lander stage

Oh and this is not my heaviest design, not by far :D

I was so idiot I placed the smelter on the lander rather than on the orbital construction facility. However it just add an 5% weith penalty then full, then empty I can reach Eeloo with it anyway. I did take it to Jool Refilled and restocked the factory ship in Laythe orbit, while doing science on Pol, Bop and Val. next version will not have the melter but more fuel so I can use it as an combined ore and Kethane miner.

I don't agree: http://imgur.com/a/w0vWq#3 those are massive fuel carrying landers of mine, they're huge, but they make sense, and fit inside fairings etc, and they're symmetrical.

Makes as much sense as smelter to me, which is symmetrical and fits inside fairings too btw :rolleyes:

Anyway, this is getting too offtopic, point is - we wait until next release of EL, lets hope new smelter will be there.

Otherwise I'll just screw that and make my damn own smelter, with science and fruit salad!

I don't think there's anything wrong with them other than the jerky animation while it is drilling. That can't be fixed by me.. its part of the animation module from the kethane plugin.

Care to explain the issue you're having in more detail? Kethane's animator simply plays Unity animations, so if you build your animations correctly, you shouldn't have problems.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.