NASA Asteroid Redirect Mission Pack/0.23.5 Images: now with 100% more SLS

Mach_XXII

You can't walk around on a 20 meter asteroid IRL either. It's gravity is like a tiny fraction of that of Gilly (take a moment to let that sink in) :P Merely raising your foot to take a step forward would give you escape velocity.

Some people are at least going to try it. Not sure if they'll succeed but they will try.
They'll succeed. It's just a question of how fast the landing is.
Aww, we won't be able to walk around on them then? Drat! I was hoping they'd found a way to make celestial bodies that could have their trajectory altered.
Even with KSP's loldensity, it'd still be too small to have appreciable gravity.

Dang. I was just about to post this on here. Ninja'd by Mach_XXIi. Anyway, more details will be forthcoming. Hopefully whenever the guys down there actually have a few moments to provide a wrap up of the panel. If not, I'll pester calisker to see when we'll be able to give you some official screens and all that.

Dang. I was just about to post this on here. Ninja'd by Mach_XXIi. Anyway, more details will be forthcoming. Hopefully whenever the guys down there actually have a few moments to provide a wrap up of the panel. If not, I'll pester calisker to see when we'll be able to give you some official screens and all that.

Please pass on that the friendly neighborhood Whackjob would like to know if there's anything codewise that would prevent me from doing a powered landing of a rock onto Kerbin?

I'm sure the Kethane mod will get updated for this.

Not likely to the level and degree I desire.

I want to hollow out the asteroid and be able to "land"/"dock" space craft within and have pressurized areas for the kerbals to bounce around in... Mods can only go so far... the building of buildings and tunneling into things needs to be done by the devs.

plz also ask squad if we get a procedurally generated asteroid belt in stock game, not just rocks being thrown at Kerbin, just rocks waiting to be discovered ?

They have mentioned that the rocks will have to be discovered.

The real asteroid belt ... you wouldn't know you were passing through it even if you're right in the middle of it. The rocks are so widely separated that the chances of running into one is almost nil. They have not said if we'll get a belt... but given what I just said I could see them doing it this way:

There is nothing there.

You preform the discovery process thing whatever that may be.

That generates a rock or maybe a few rocks and places them in random orbits.

The more to do the discovery process the more rocks get generated... but if you never do it then they never get generated and it's as if the feild wasn't there... just like real life. sorta.

The above is my speculation and is how I'd probably do it if I was coding it.

Edited by FITorion

People Gonna need really high thrust engines...or a lot of engines either way if people want to move something the size of that think about it. Rock that size probably, hundreds of tons much likely more? if people think about landing that on a planet...Pffft, even if it has low G. Thinking about landing it on a planet with strong gravity and an atom, i could barely imagine.

Not likely to the level and degree I desire.

I want to hollow out the asteroid and be able to "land"/"dock" space craft within and have pressurized areas for the kerbals to bounce around in... Mods can only go so far... the building of buildings and tunneling into things needs to be done by the devs.

You pretty much summed up what was going on up in my head

It looks about the size I expected. The lack of any overt cratering is interesting, though it still looks pretty sweet.

I'll be looking forward to using the grappling hook and a puller design.

Any chance of an official recap of the presentation or a video before monday? I'm super excited to hear more information about what went down today.

People Gonna need really high thrust engines...or a lot of engines either way if people want to move something the size of that think about it. Rock that size probably, hundreds of tons much likely more? if people think about landing that on a planet...Pffft, even if it has low G. Thinking about landing it on a planet with strong gravity and an atom, i could barely imagine.
I'd bet money Whackjob's broken a thousand tons to orbit. The same rocket would land it.

(Of course, then you've got to get that thousand ton rocket up to start with. But there's always sending it up empty and fuelling in orbit. Or just building a rocket capable of launching a rocket capable of launching a thousand tons to orbit to orbit.)

Any chance of an official recap of the presentation or a video before monday? I'm super excited to hear more information about what went down today.

That depends on what times are like for the guys that are down there. I was aiming to have something for everyone at least over the course of the last few hours, even, but things happen. If they're swamped, they're swamped. I'm hoping for at least a decent recap sent over as the weekend grinds on.

You pretty much summed up what was going on up in my head

What, geomodding? Like being able to bore a hole through it? That's not a mod, that's a whole new game engine. Besides if I can do it to an asteroid, I sure as heck want to be able to do it .everywhere else.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.