What is your 'Specialty' in KSP?

roblamb98

What I am good at:

designing easy to land low CG landers for airless bodies

mission planning to get there and back on the fuel available (put it this way I often am down to RCS on the return, but still make it)

logistics for multiple biome science missions (my unpatented science module that consists of an RCS tank, a materials bay, two goo containers and 4 each of the smaller sensors, oh and of course one parachute and 2 docking ports - I send them to the Mun and Minmus - they get picked up from the automated transfer vehicle by a low CG lander in a polar orbit which also refuels from the transfer vehicle and deposits previously 'exposed' module - go down to the surface to a different biome - rinse and repeat)

Oh and nukes, I love nukes! deep space tanker/supply ships with the best mass ratio's using a single or pair of nukes, supporting the nuke powered lander for the easy moons and the other specialized landers for the two "hard" moons Laythe and Tylo

Oh, and I think I am getting tolerably good at both rendezvous (both orbital and surface) and docking. The surface rendezvous skill comes from the frequent need to rescue Kerbals from the surface of Mun or Minmus.

Not good at but trying hard:

Wingless airbreathing SSTO's (ok mixed mode engine now)

I have yet to land and return a Kerbal from Eve, but am working on it in 0.23 - might make it here - if not I restart my space race (career mode trying to optimize in elapsed Kerbin time) in 0.23.5

I seem to gravitate to Aircraft. I do have a space station in orbit (fairly large one, with 10 kerbalnauts on board) and I plan to use it as a assembly dock for a large spacecraft, but I always seem to throw something together with wings and a pair of jet engines and push the envelope of speed and manoeuvrability.

There is something fun about doing a radial G-turn then pitching up with 5 G's and pulling up a scant 10 metres from the ground! :)

I suppose my speciality is standardising my operations, and being OCD about naming missions, and even more OCD about naming my craft according a theme.

My first two missions to any planet (Named Pioneer-(number)A and -(number)B ) involve carrying 1) A Mosquito-Series probe and a Demeter orbital fuel silo/module, then 2) A Bumblebee-Series probe and a Daedalus research outpost.

All my probes are named after various types of insects, for instance Bumblebee is my returnable-probe class, with variants depending on where it's going. My space stations are named from Greek mythology, my IP tug is named the "Kurtman" because I shamelessly stole the basic premise after watching one of kurtjmac's videos.

I like probes.

I have many probes.

Many probes.

I have probably about 10 Kerbin satellites, 4-5 unmanned Mun landers (and 2 rovers), 2 unmanned Minmus landers and many interplanetary missions.

Weirdly, my Kerbals never venture very far out. I have 2-3 space stations in LKO (A small ISS style, an unmanned emergency fuel unit which has saved me many, many times and a mostly abandoned Skylab which I never had the heart to deorbit and is used as a space garden shed) where they visit a lot to science, but apart from that all that I did was 3 Mun landing missions, a Minmus orbiter and a 3 day trip into interplanetary space before hastily returning.

Sophistry, I obsess over organisation too. I have a naming and filing system for my rockets to make sure they are neat, standardised and categorised by their ability, launch stage and payload respectively. All my orbits have to be as close as possible to the target orbit, and can never be below it (As close as 99,798m is to 100,000 it just isn't as neat as 100,049)

Edited by TimMartland

I guess my specialty would be in the realm of Rovers, however my vehicles are more like APC's or troop transports :P Carry lots of Kerbals, and withstand an entire rocket crashing into it in a failed landing attempt...

I usually fail in landings with them... so they usually have to survive being dropped from Hundreds of meters above the surface of a planet :P so far only one vehicles has survived every mission... the K.U.V (Kerbal Utility vehicle) carrys 4 kerbals, still operational when dropped 300m above the surface of the Mun (you just don't have any lights)

I have a knack of packing just the right amount of fuel. I don't use KER (although I probably should) and just guess how much fuel I would need for the mission, and more often than not it turns out to be just right.

I can lift anything to LKO. You know those multiple hundred ton space stations that people build in orbit? I send them up in one piece and send it up in one boost. If you need something boosted, PM me and we'll work something out.

I'm also a master at docking. I try not to use RCS anymore and just flip around burn the main rocket motor.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.