Confess your KSP sins

Red Iron Crown

I often don't put parachutes on my ships because I am too impatient to watch them drift down to the surface.

What I do is Tweak them to fully deploy 50m above the ground instead of 500m. Cuts down on the wait and it makes landings way more exciting when you feel like you're about to smack into the ground, only to be saved by a friendly, last-second 5g+ YOINK from the 'cutes

Edited by FenrirWolf

I start challenges and never finish them. For instance, I'm in the middle of the Moho Apollo-style but my RSS config sucked up my time and attention.

I used MechJeb for a whole version. To be fair the SAS was crap during 0.21, but I still regret it.

Edited by regex

Many of my missions never leave the drawing board. Either they are clearly impractical, or all the fun is in the design. (Hence my Kerbal Excel Program jokes) If an exploration mission is going to require a dozen assembly launches for each craft leaving Kerbin's SOI, it's not likely to be done)

Many of those that are actually built never get past proof of concept or some basic flight testing. It works, do I really have to go through with it?

I don't care about the lives of my pilots. Oh, sure, there are missions where success means that they come home in one piece, but some missions are one-way, and test failures are no big deal. This also ignores the occasional destructive test, or launcher that uses a crewed section for additional control.

I always use Hyperedit. Too lazy to build the launcher.

I suck at flying spaceplanes.

I hate manually having to do the transfers and stuff.

I always use cheats. :(

Damn, son. I get that it's a single player sandbox and therefore it's not really "cheating", but you're missing out on a lot of the core gameplay.

I will edit the save file to restore power to a probe which I forgot to unfold solar panels on.

Also, the debug menu and I are best of friends.

I keep the no clipping option on nearly exclusively.

I will use Hack Gravity to get a kerbal into a command pod which is just out of reach.

If I'm lazy and want to explore KSC, I will use Hack Gravity and Infinite EVA Fuel to explore.

I run entire missions from launch to landing and return without ever touching the controls. Unless there's a docking or fuel transfer.

If I could find a mod that transferred fuel automatically I wouldn't even do that manually. (too many JSA's to fill out!)

I run entire missions from launch to landing and return without ever touching the controls. Unless there's a docking or fuel transfer.

If I could find a mod that transferred fuel automatically I wouldn't even do that manually. (too many JSA's to fill out!)

Check out Goodspeed. My refueling stations auto-pump fuel into everybody but the ship that brings fuel to it, and that ship auto pumps into the refueling station. I like touching the controls for the rest of the stuff ;) but refueling is busy work that is much better done by a computer.

I was doing a low Sun orbit when I first purchased the game and ran out of fuel before getting back to Kerbin. *cough*Turned on infinite fuel*cough* :(

I did the same thing but when returning from Moho. I ran out of fuel on the way back and cheated. I think I have too much sympathy for my poor Kerbals.

I have never been to another planet apart from Duna. I build ships that can go there but never bother to launch them.

Instead of doing efficient burns I brute force every transfer. Mun transfers are the only ones I do efficiently.

I have succeeded in making a rocket motor burn out even when connected to fuel. Followed by game crash.

I have used Mechjeb to get into Orbit and to teach me Docking. But I am clean now... please forgive me :(

Most of us use MechJeb because we've "been there and done that" hundreds of times. I use it for missions in which I know for a fact that the ship is perfect for the job (I.E. already done the mission manually on a previous save). When I want to experiment and try new and/or crazy things then I don't touch the mod.

Most of us use MechJeb because we've "been there and done that" hundreds of times. I use it for missions in which I know for a fact that the ship is perfect for the job (I.E. already done the mission manually on a previous save). When I want to experiment and try new and/or crazy things then I don't touch the mod.

Indeed. Testing a new rocket? Yeah, I'll go with a few manual launches to feel out the optimal flight path, sure. Launching my fifteenth Taurus 3 rocket to a standard 200km orbit? Snoozefest, turn on auto-ascent and go make a sandwich.

Apart from the usual "simulator mode" usage and of course having a slight case of Mech-Jeb dependency (addiction evil tongues may say), I have never - ever - even considered making a space-plane or anything else with wings really. It just seems like a really tedious way of doing stuff. With a pod it's easy enough; de-orbit burn, brake burn if necessary, deploy chutes. Done.

I used infinite fuel to bring Jeb home from the Mun after I failed my aerobraking pass in my spaceplane and wasted my fuel.

Most of my planes are built with part clipping on. It's not to gain extra delta-V, but simply to try making the plane look less crap, or to put an engine where it should be able to fit.

I have never filled out a Career Mode tech tree. Once I hit spaceplanes, I slow way down and just focus on the science.

My rockets suck, but I could build a spaceplane half asleep. Yeah, I know, it's Kerbal Space Program, not Kerbal Flight Simulator, but I don't get rockets. When I build 'em, they just explode.

It took me 4 versions to like FAR. I actually, up until 0.23, used to hate Ferram's Aerospace Research. For whatever reason, my brain took a long time to click and realize the planes did in fact fly better in FAR than they did in Stock. I think what won me over was making high-altitude motor-gliders with Procedural wings + Firespitter and having them actually, you know, work.

I have bunch of old saves with unfinished missions (damn, I started Jool expeditions about 5 times on different versions... Most of them never even reached Jool, and only the last one did return to Kerbin)

I've never made a successful manned Eve mission. There were a bunch of designs, but most of them didn't even reach testing phase.

I'm terrible pilot. I can manage a Moho lander, but powered landing on something Kerbin-sized (aka Tylo) is almost impossible for me (it was such a wild dance, I don't even want to try again).

Aircrafts... I don't make them anymore, they just don't work for me and I'm even worse pilot when it comes to planes. I actually had 1 successful SSTO launcher before aerospike nerf (it once somehow pulled 10 tons), but it was launched vertically, had giant wing area and was often wildly spinning during reentry, regaining control only several km above the surface.

I'm also obsessed with SCIENCE! I am a scientist, I can't do anything about it.

I don't use engineering plugins. Eyeballing ship capacity results in "I hope it's enough fuel for Jool's moons, but maybe it will also be enough for Dres and Ello, too"

Sometimes I burn out to the point I don't touch KSP for couple months. I just can't design anything in that state...

I still have my plugin broken since 0.17, despite several attempts to revive it (just restoring basic functionality is pointless now, but most cool features are still in "almost done" state).

KSP and my studies seem to interfere quite wildly... sometimes resulting in me staring at the screen doing none of those...

I edit the persistence file when setting up comm-sat networks if I have Remotetech installed

In fairness to me, I've gotten really good at my deployment angles, my orbital periods are usually within a tenth of a second of what they should be, and my eccentricities are usually something like 3.03x10^-5. But for the sake of not coming back from an interplanetary mission or five to find my network all bunched together, I'll edit the save file so that the orbits are literally perfect, then just not go back to those vessels if I can help it.

I've never build a fully functional SSTO spaceplane

I've seen just about all the guides and I've had a few clear the atmosphere, but I never have enough fuel left to circularize, let alone deorbit. I don't really mind though, I enjoy building and the atmospheric flight part of KSP planes more anyway. If I want to space, I'll build a rocket.

I'm about ten times better at the process of docking than I am at establishing rendezvous in the first place.

Edited by Boomerang

MechJeb is my best friend. Like most on here I can technically do it all manually, but I can no longer be bothered most of the time.

All of my missions are designed to go up in one launch. If it can't be launched in one go, it's not worth doing. Luckily a lot can go up in a single launch.

I have docked two ships, once. It was so tedious and took such a long time I haven't bothered with it since.

I have designed and built a lot of ships, but rarely fly the actual mission. And when I do it's usually a testflight that got out of hand in a shoddily built, poorly optimized craft that ends up on a different planet than what it was designed for. Jeb once ended up on Eeloo instead of Duna with parachutes, a dummy rover, and no landing legs.

Planes are just weird in this game, so I haven't really bothered.

My Eve "colony" had absolutely no means or plans to return kerbonauts. Eve is evil. Purple sphere of inescapability.

The first jet aircraft I sent to Laythe, landing was "jettison the cockpit and open a chute", and was left sitting on the beach for eternity.

The second jet aircraft I landed on the ice cap, since it was guaranteed to be flat. First rescue mission ended up in a horribly inclined Laythe orbit. The subsequent rescue attempt ended up in a solar orbit nowhere near Kerbin intercept, and was considered lost.

I've never actually returned anything from the Joolian system.

If you want an easy time with Eve then build a fairly small and simple SSTO VTOL (There are a few tutorials). Attach that to a lifter stage on Kerbin (balance takes practice). Once in orbit around kerbin, dock with a fueling station if needed. Make sure you have a fueling station in orbit around Eve. ????? Profit.

The smaller the SSTO VTOL, the better. I haven't bothered making a single space plane since I learned how to produce VTOL. Standard SSTO planes seem like a complete waste of time to me. They're fun for RP'ing, but otherwise I avoid them.

I use Infinite fuel cheat every now and again, when I need an extra 100 or so M/s Delta V and I'd rather not Completely redo the entirety of the mission to get them.

:P

If the ship is not big, go on EVA and use the jetpack (which has more or less 500m/s of DeltaV) to push. I guess that counts as a sin (mainly because you can get infinite EVA fuel by getting in and out from the capsule), so I'll confess that one as well :D

I've used and abused the get out and push trick to get failed Munar missions back to Kerbin.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.