DarkMultiPlayer 0.3.8.0 [KSP 1.12.0]

godarklight

@TurielD: As a result of DMP getting more meta, I assumed that scenarios were always tagged with KSPScenario for the new "Is this module allowed in this game type" filter. That is not the case with most mods, so I've reworked it. Try dev now.

Awesome, thanks for working on it!

Issue now is http://godarklight.info.tm/ is down, can't download from there.

The most recent dev build on http://d-mp.org/ is from the 18th, so it doesn't look like it has the most recent updates. As it happens, I'm currently using dev build version a9fc12945303f39aee1b9f2f471254466521ab86, also from the 18th, which isn't included on d-mp.org either.

Eek, just heard about your HD crash - hope you get your stuff up and running again OK!

Edited by TurielD

On WIndows you can go into Networking-> Network adapters-> hold alt and select from the menu-> extended-> extended (or how its called in english) and rearange your nics.put hamachi first here, and restart ksp / dmp server. dmp will now use the hamachi nic as primary nic for networking.if that doesnt fix it chack firewall and other stuff.but you know you dont need hamachi. you can just forward the port and connect via the inet.

Exactly Hamachi is my primary Nic, the port 6702 is opened and my firewall is configured.

My friends cannot simply join me, they have the same version of the game and the mod and have no other mod.

Would you have a solution? You spoke to me of passing directly by the inet how can it be done?

On WIndows you can go into Networking-> Network adapters-> hold alt and select from the menu-> extended-> extended (or how its called in english) and rearange your nics.put hamachi first here, and restart ksp / dmp server. dmp will now use the hamachi nic as primary nic for networking.if that doesnt fix it chack firewall and other stuff.but you know you dont need hamachi. you can just forward the port and connect via the inet.

Exactly Hamachi is my primary Nic, the port 6702 is opened and my firewall is configured.

My friends cannot simply join me, they have the same version of the game and the mod and have no other mod.

Would you have a solution? You spoke to me of passing directly by the inet how can it be done?.

@Moshio: Although I have never figured this out for certain as nobody has gotten back to me about it, it should Just Work with hamachi. It's better to port forward as you're not limited to hamachi-only users, but there are some cases where that's not possible (Don't have access to the router, or you're behind an ISP level NAT).

@TurielD: Thanks for the report, the more eyes on dev the more people will catch my mistakes :D.

@Everyone: My build server hard drive decided to pull the pin today, I managed to recover everything - so it's now back online.

Ok, so here's the deal. Im playing KSP with my friend on a DMP server that i am running on my PC. We are using a bunch of mods, but the only problem is with Kerbal Alarm Clock which doesn't save alarms if we disconnect, and SCANsat which doesnt save maps. If anyone knows how i could solve this problem i'd really appreciate it. Maybe it's some incompatibility with all the mods or DMP i don't really know. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Ooh interesting new issue: At times vessels will save wonky, you'll get

sit = LANDED

landed = FALSE

splashed = False

That's happened to a few a vessels which I've reverted, so there's this [vessel].txt file sitting in Universe\Vessels but those vessels aren't visible on the map or in the tracking station.

I manually changed a couple of them to landed = TRUE and when I connected they'd be visible at their locations (these were attempts at a shuttle which I had reverted many times, 'landed' on the runway ready for launch.

This also happened with a wheeled fuel tanker on Minmus that a friend was interacting with. It seemed to disappear for me, and I checked through the vessel .txt files and found it was there but with the a sit = LANDED, landed = FALSE states; on manually altering to landed = TRUE and reconnecting I could find it and interact with it again

V623pyZ

For me and my friend when we play, our planets are not the same heights. For example the ground on kerban for me is 10 meters below

my friends, so for me he is just floating. Or if his is below me then I just see his ship continuously exploding into the ground.

Any way to fix this or is this a known glitch?

@Blazku: Update to latest dev, the first release that supported 0.90 had a bug which prevented non-stock scenario modules from saving.

@TurielD: Sqqqquaaaaaadddd!. If you're 100% sure that situation=LANDED landed=false should always be resolved in the landed=true manner, then I'll add this in. We already have our share of stock bug workarounds, so one more isn't going to hurt...

@popos1: I actually hadn't thought of difficulty - We'll add this in if we're on career / science mode. Tracking as issue 270

@Staticxtasy: Yes and no - this is going to be tricky to solve. I've known about this one for a long time though, the terrain detail settings absolutely mess up the terrain (and even on the same setting you can still be 0.2-0.5m out). My initial thought was "Hey, lets raycast the ground and send how high the ground is in the position updates!", and while it did help most of the time, the raycast was unreliable. I'd like to work with a player to sort out this issue when I have time (will require IRC and a passing back and forth of builds), it's one of the most critical bugs in DMP and it's always been there. The branch is called raycast-ground.

@Blazku: Update to latest dev, the first release that supported 0.90 had a bug which prevented non-stock scenario modules from saving.

I was seeing this issue last week on my server. Could not see any other players ships in server and when I myself would log off, the ships I put up there didn't save as well.

Is this fixed now?

@TurielD: Sqqqquaaaaaadddd!. If you're 100% sure that situation=LANDED landed=false should always be resolved in the landed=true manner, then I'll add this in. We already have our share of stock bug workarounds, so one more isn't going to hurt...

Not 100% but so far not seeing any alternatives. It's possible that if it were at sea it'd be splashed = True, rather than landed = TRUE, but I actually dunno if the game treats those differently.

Separate from that, reverting vessels sometimes leaves the craft as a [vessel].txt saved to the server, even though it's been reverted. It doesn't show up to the player, (time bubble stuff) but the next person joining the server will see a bunch of stuff sitting on the runway/orbit whatever. This should be simple enough to resolve, but the same thing occasionally happens with quicksaves, which might be harder.

Also, a new request: given the frequency at which stuff spontaneously disassembles in amusing ways (just had a space-station break in half and get speed relative to the planet below set to 0 the moment a second player started spectating it) it would be nice if the vessels (and possibly the scenarios to go with them) were periodically backed up. Usually the full library is only a few mB max, so it shouldn't be too taxing to save ~12 backups, at 15 minute intervals or so. I'm setting something like that up for myself now, but direct DMP integration could be cool - provide a big "Everything just blew up aaaargh!" button to admin-enabled DMP control panel to allow a server revert to a previous backup :)

Also, a new request: given the frequency at which stuff spontaneously disassembles in amusing ways (just had a space-station break in half and get speed relative to the planet below set to 0 the moment a second player started spectating it) it would be nice if the vessels (and possibly the scenarios to go with them) were periodically backed up. Usually the full library is only a few mB max, so it shouldn't be too taxing to save ~12 backups, at 15 minute intervals or so. I'm setting something like that up for myself now, but direct DMP integration could be cool - provide a big "Everything just blew up aaaargh!" button to admin-enabled DMP control panel to allow a server revert to a previous backup :)

I have a git repository set to automatically backup a snapshot of the dmp server folder twice a day for this very reason. Then if something goes wrong in the last 12hr, I can just discard those changes. If it's more complicated, I can pull the old data out of the historical commits. It would be nice to have an integrated way to manage this. I would probably still maintain my git backup, since it allows me a lot of fine grained control (replacing just the one thing that got messed up instead of reverting the whole universe).

That sounds good, better than a local backup too - how do you set that up?

I have github for windows installed, but you can use whatever git client you prefer. I set up the following power shell script:

invoke-expression -Command "C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\GitHub\shell.ps1"
$CommitName = Get-Date -Format "s"
$CommitName = "AutoCommit - $CommitName"
cd "[put the path to your server instance here]"
git add .
git commit -am $CommitName

Add a push command to upload to a repository of your choosing, or just keep it in dropbox to keep it backed up on multiple machines.

Then just schedule a task to run "powershell [path to your script]" at whatever interval you prefer. (Task scheduler from computer management)

If you use another platform besides windows, the git commands will remain the same but the shell script will be different. You could do the same thing using batch files, I just like using power shell even for simple scripts.

Edited by hvacengi
(add non-local backup note) (and again because I missed a return in the code)

When someone's spectating someone else, and one has time-dilation due to the heavy load of a large vessel and the other doesn't, duplications happen.

When vessels are populating, could perhaps the game check if there aren't other vessels with the same name in the same frame? :P

@TurielD (landed flag): Added it on my bug tracker so I don't forget, thanks for testing it - we'll add this workaround in after 0.2.0.0

(spectating): KSP does *not* like the active vessel dying, so we actually spawn in a duplicate (but keep it packed so it doesn't collide), wait until it loads, and then we try switching to it. Generally this works, but if you know how to trick it into stop working, then I can add fixes for it.

For non-active vessel updates, the old vessel is killed first and then the replacement is put in place which is why you shouldn't see duplicates if you're not spectating.

@hvacengi: Thats... and interesting use of git there :P. This could easily be done in either a seperate DMP plugin, or DMPServer itself, I'll add it on the bug tracker too :)

Just a heads up: I tried a multiplayer career game with a friend today and on every reconnect there were 30 vessels synced and in the astronaut complex appear 20 active Kerbals (plus ten recruits). Together with the 5 Kerbal hard limit of the complex, this lead to many problems: The recovered Kerbals were moved to the "missing" slot or were outright killed. Dismissing the surplus Kerbals works only until the next sync.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.