The unofficially official 0.24-Kerbapalooza Thread - Now extra #HYPETRAIN!

KvickFlygarn87

Contracts/budgets are the biggest addition to the career mode since its inception. Unless you hate the idea of career mode it'll completely change how you play KSP and through the procedural contracts the replayability of career mode has been greatly increased. Also it's not the only feature: there's a complete UI overhaul, experimental 64-bit support. It has also been only 4 months since the release of the last update (while the title 0.23.5 might fool people, it was quite the full update) not more than half a year.

No, 23.5 has not been a full update, it's in the name and devnotes.

But apart from that I was merely stating the effect the update might have in the forum not on me. As you can see in my join date I have been around for quite sometime now, so I had plenty of time to adjust to waiting for updates to release. I have been very much looking forward to contracts since the integration of a map into the game. If the current implementation will change the way I play completly remains to be seen however. Still, like I said, I am really looking forward to this release, no matter how it turns out to be.

You know the Steam database for KSP was updated about 12 hours ago so either the experimental build is up for those with the secret password or .24 is ready to go and we're just waiting on the invisible timer. Wish I could see a bit more about the build on the database.

Edit: by looking a bit deeper it appears to be the experimentals that were added. Hopefully this won't mean that the first experimental video was released ahead of time and that the build isn't too far off being in our hands. The temptation to repeatedly hammer F5 on Steamdb is tempting though.

Oh and by the way there is an x86 executable in there. Dunno if it's new but I've never found one for KSP before.

Edited by Kerbonautical

You know the Steam database for KSP was updated about 12 hours ago so either the experimental build is up for those with the secret password or .24 is ready to go and we're just waiting on the invisible timer. Wish I could see a bit more about the build on the database.

Edit: by looking a bit deeper it appears to be the experimentals that were added. Hopefully this won't mean that the first experimental video was released ahead of time and that the build isn't too far off being in our hands. The temptation to repeatedly hammer F5 on Steamdb is tempting though.

The experimentals have been being updated for weeks now, ever since experimentals started in fact.

Reply to edit 2: There's always been an x86 executable for KSP. It's always been a 32-bit game. There is now *also* a Windows x86-64 executable.

Edited by cpast

Rowsdower confirmed yesterday that this is, in fact, media release. As of yesterday, 0.24 was "not hours away, but not weeks away either."

EDIT: Not sure where I pulled that line from, but it's either been removed, or I made up what I wanted to see. I apologize.

Edited by AngusJimiKeith

Ah gotcha. Pity we don't have some way of having these loose ETA guidelines a bit more instantly visible! Some sort of extra tool on the forums that displays a small portion of posts from the devs and mods only would help keeping up with this stuff. It would make a great little info feed for the homepage too. Now to debate what to play in the meantime. Really hope that it falls before the Destiny Beta though as I don't think I'll have time to get into both and KSP will have to sit on the sidelines for week or two.

Rowsdower confirmed yesterday that this is, in fact, media release. As of yesterday, 0.24 was "not hours away, but not weeks away either."

EDIT: Not sure where I pulled that line from, but it's either been removed, or I made up what I wanted to see. I apologize.

No you are right, i read the same thing yesterday the words were like "Now that the Videos are Public mean it's no matter of weeks anymore"

The actual post said:

We're close, but not quite "a few hours" close. Not just yet. We're still pushing out some new builds. Unlike last time, the fact that these videos are coming out now means that it's no longer a matter of weeks.

No, 23.5 has not been a full update, it's in the name and devnotes.

But apart from that I was merely stating the effect the update might have in the forum not on me. As you can see in my join date I have been around for quite sometime now, so I had plenty of time to adjust to waiting for updates to release. I have been very much looking forward to contracts since the integration of a map into the game. If the current implementation will change the way I play completly remains to be seen however. Still, like I said, I am really looking forward to this release, no matter how it turns out to be.

0.23.5 is an update with as much work put into it as any other full update, which is why I called it a full update. That patch added lots of new parts, improved joints, improved maneuver nodes, improved patch conics, asteroids and all sorts of bug fixes and tweaks. It was more content heavy than the 'full' 23.0 release.

Annnd I apologize for my apology!

Buried in a post about the forum 502 errors:

We're close, but not quite "a few hours" close. Not just yet. We're still pushing out some new builds. Unlike last time, the fact that these videos are coming out now means that it's no longer a matter of weeks.

From the media release thread.

EDIT: Double ninja'd.

Here sir, is my ticket to board the hypetrain.

ALL ABOARD!

Hype_train_comin

but seriously, the only thing im more excited for is seeing Teddy Bridgewater start for my Minnesota Vikings.

Here sir, is my ticket to board the hypetrain.

ALL ABOARD!

http://static3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130220220618/motorstorm/images/1/13/Hype_train_comin'_through.jpg

but seriously, the only thing im more excited for is seeing Teddy Bridgewater start for my Minnesota Vikings.

I'll admit it. I laughed. Have a piece of rep.

All aboard the...

original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

But realistically, we wouldn't hear anything about the update until like 5:00pm CST at the earliest, right? [insert desperate justification for F5-spamming here]

::edit:: Because why not?

38558551.jpgtumblr_mrmqa4W1rX1rm63dwo1_500.gif09a3e3c6040ad3cdbef74f06280883a4a0b8a0a4a27d0f536ad57d2490748420.jpg

Absolutely none of these are off-topic whatsoever. I asked Jeb.

Edited by Holyvision
Moar Hype!

I can't wait for the update, but there's lots of things I don't understand... why does, say, STEADLER Engineering want you to explore Minmus? And how did Jeb's company get a Kerbal stuck in orbit- Ok, wait, it's Jeb's company. Bad example.

Also, the whole idea of the R&D facility is confusing to me. How come YOUR space program is researching stuff, but it ends up being manufactured by other companies, and those companies act like they came up with it? And when you have to test things for contracts, how on earth do you get those parts BEFORE you research them!? aaaaa

Also, the whole idea of the R&D facility is confusing to me. How come YOUR space program is researching stuff, but it ends up being manufactured by other companies, and those companies act like they came up with it? And when you have to test things for contracts, how on earth do you get those parts BEFORE you research them!? aaaaa

This is in line with reality, if nothing else. NASA, for example, will research or design something (Say, a Saturn V stage) and then contract it out to a company for testing and production. Not all things work that way, of course, but there are examples.

Edited by AngusJimiKeith
Grammar

The R&D isn't surprising - that's basically how a lot of real spacecraft work (NASA designs many of the rockets and spacecraft it uses, but they're built by contractors, but the contractors *also* do design work and have engineers involved in the process). For experimental parts, again, kind of simple - the parts aren't certified for general use, but you have a prototype of them. The company has already made it, but needs to verify that it works right before it's cleared for mass production.

I am looking forward to the rescue missions but, think it's bizarre that the Kerbals that spawn for rescue just float out there in a spacesuit. Why not at least spawn them in a capsule or small derelict ship? It's like they'rd a kid calling for a ride because they missed the bus.

Frank Kerman needs rescue. He's mysteriously floating around Vall. You have 5 years to rescue him before he runs out of air... Sillyness.

Would be interesting if it spawned a small procedurally generated ship with some parts or fuel missing.