[0.24] Spaceplane Plus 1.3

Porkjet

So very pleased to see these parts incorporated into the stock game. This was the only mod I ever ran that added parts other then KER.

Well done!

(scurries off to purchase ticket for .25 Hypetrain)

~M

Edited by Maximillian

I run 2 turbojets and 2 aerospikes myself. LVNs really aren't worth the extra mass on a small or medium sized spaceplane. Maybe on an interplanetary one, but that's crazy talk.

8B68854C160A982BBE43C55468A4E7C3608ED867

That's close to what I built but couldn't get to orbit without LV-Ns. What are the fuselage parts there? I see the Aerospikes, the Bi-coupler, the Mk2 LFO full size tank, then... Cargo bay? and Docking port? is that the Mk2 cockpit or....???

It's wrong that people can't share their opinions without being accused of a 'hate post'.

Really? Hate?

he did explained himself and pretty well at that, no one needed the lawyering.

Edited by TheReaper

That's close to what I built but couldn't get to orbit without LV-Ns. What are the fuselage parts there? I see the Aerospikes, the Bi-coupler, the Mk2 LFO full size tank, then... Cargo bay? and Docking port? is that the Mk2 cockpit or....???

do you even use this mod?

What? What are you talking about? Yes I use this mod (tho I am new to it). Go back to my previous (first) post and you'll see I was asking for advice about how to achieve orbit, that Bomoo posted that as a reply, and that I was asking a followup question about the craft he/she built.

Looks like cargo bay, SP+ inline docking port, drone core, adaptor and then maybe a non-SP+ shielded docking port. No cockpit, no pilot.

Edited by Wanderfound

Ok, I made it.

(NOTE: Stock Aerodynamics)

Using the "Kerbodyne Benchmark" (Thank you Wanderfound!) I was able to get to orbit, 94km x 143km (I goofed on the circulization burn), and return.

I EVAed once in a stable orbit and the "Flight Results" show that was at T+12:26.

Not only that but because I derped the reentry I was about 1/4 of the way around Kerbin west of the KSC when I was around around 15-20km in altitude. So I was ALSO able to fly the distance to KSC, clear the "Mountains of Doom"ÂÂtm and land neatly at KSC all by hand.

So, it's something in my process I'm sure.

I will say, I did at least 3 flat spins transitioning to/from atmo flying... and IMHO the Kerbodyne Benchmark has WAY too much pitch authority (even banking slightly results in pitching up), and is real twitchy about pitch when unpowered/low powered. But that's probably me...

EVA in orbit

AsPNLqJ.png

Home Again

DFTmXo9.png

Edited by tg626

Ok, I made it.

<snip>.

I will say, I did at least 3 flat spins transitioning to/from atmo flying... and IMHO the Kerbodyne Benchmark has WAY too much pitch authority (even banking slightly results in pitching up), and is real twitchy about pitch when unpowered/low powered. But that's probably me...

Woo! Congrats.

The Benchmark was designed and flight tested in FAR; I have no idea how it handles in stock aero. And I do tend to like a fair amount of pitch authority; I hate it when I have to struggle to lift the nose during ascents.

For less pitch authority, lose either the canards or the winglets and shuffle the wings forward a bit.

What? What are you talking about? Yes I use this mod (tho I am new to it). Go back to my previous (first) post and you'll see I was asking for advice about how to achieve orbit, that Bomoo posted that as a reply, and that I was asking a followup question about the craft he/she built.

It's the long Mk2/1.25m fuel tank with a third inline intake on the front. That extra fuel tank shouldn't really be getting touched on the trip up, but it does provide a nice safety net if you mess up somehow. I manage to get it to about 28km before the air gets too thin and I need to switch to aerospikes. At that point I tilt up to about 40 degrees and burn until the Ap is 80-85km.

Congrats on making it, by the way!

Edited by Bomoo

Ever seen Buran's proposed military applications? Very Kerbal. Except the killing part... :o

One of their videos showed miniature kinetic attack craft coming out of the Buran to attack US space assets... not cool for political reasons, and rather insane given the nature of the craft... :P

I run 2 turbojets and 2 aerospikes myself. LVNs really aren't worth the extra mass on a small or medium sized spaceplane. Maybe on an interplanetary one, but that's crazy talk.

Interplanetary space planes are the best. Ever gone all the way to Laythe landing and back on one tank of fuel? Did it back in stock but one of these days I'll have to attempt it again with FAR.

One of their videos showed miniature kinetic attack craft coming out of the Buran to attack US space assets... not cool for political reasons, and rather insane given the nature of the craft... :P

Funny that that's the first thing I did with this mod. Thanks for making all my military ships look really badass.

EDIT: May as well include an image.

csjlyKs.png

Edited by Spartwo