[0.24] Spaceplane Plus 1.3

Porkjet

It's B9 that's off. It doesn't even line up with the stock parts that it's supposed to connect with.

With that in mind, (and yes, I know it has nothing to do with SP+) has anyone a handy MM config to fix the B9 parts?

Or are we all just hoping it'll be fixed in the 5.0 update?

I'd do it myself, but I'll need instructions :)

It's node_stack_* that need fixing. The first three parameters are Position(x, y, z). You'll want to shift the y until it matches SP+. Much easier to test with MM 2.2.2+ – hit Alt+F11 in the Space Center to get a popup with the option to reload the database.

Guest Space Cowboy

Mothership need a complete rework but here is what I have so far:

screenshot93_zps1ac9a73f.png

Orion%20ad..jpg

Edited by Space Cowboy

It's node_stack_* that need fixing.

Cheers boss, exactly what I was after. Might have a crack at it tonight :)

It's not that SP+ is missing anything important, but it does make the issues with B9 stand out.

@Space Cowboy; That's a damn fine looking ship. How are you recovering the mothership? it would be a shame to leave it to crash...

Edited by steve_v

Guest Space Cowboy

Ok this works but there's not much fuel left. It definitely needs refinement. But for now ...

Flight sequence:

(Use SAS for all flight phases)

Spacebar - launch

Rotate at the end of the runway to ~30 degrees of pitch

RCS - on at some point

The Orion hybrid engines will switch to oxidizer and the boost plane shold be ejected soon - preferable when the engines flameout

Boost plane separation - Spacebar

The rest of the flight depends entirely on your astronaut training and experience.

Manual hybrid mode select - 1

DOWNLOAD

screenshot111_zps2191d35e.png

Edited by Space Cowboy

Quite fond of my new one; hopefully they'll fix it so you can pre-load command chairs in the SPH soon.

NEW! IMPROVED!

Kerbodyne Migration

Presenting the new release from the Kerbodyne SSTO Division’s Kerbal Transportation Solutions range: the Kerbodyne Migration. Capable of transporting twenty six Kerbals (two crew, four first class passengers, eight business class passengers and twelve economy passengers) in style, speed and comfort (well, in the first class compartment, anyway).

Half a dozen quick, inexpensive trips to the Mun and back and you won't just have a Munar base; you'll have a Munar town. Also available in conversions for use as an infantry transport, paratroop intruder, medium bomber, aerial command and control centre, combined crew/cargo delivery vessel, flexible research explorer or large executive jet.

Kerbodyne. Quality you can fly.

screenshot787_zps07f724eb.png

screenshot786_zps84a6c9b3.png

screenshot789_zpsfebd260d.png

screenshot790_zps25e31461.png

screenshot791_zps9988a786.png

* Action group 1 toggles Aerospikes.

* Action group 2 toggles inner RAPIERs.

* Action group 3 toggles outer RAPIERs.

* Action group 4 toggles RAPIER mode.

* Action group 6 toggles intakes.

* Action group 7 toggles boarding mode.

* Action group 8 toggles docking mode.

* Action group 9 triggers scientific instruments.

* Action group 10 toggles Vernors. Used for low-grav VTOL and emergency recovery. Keep toggled off at other times.

* Conventional RCS remains for your docking needs.

* Providing less legroom in economy class could substantially enhance the carrying capacity.

* Hopefully they'll soon fix the bug that prevents you from loading command chairs with Kerbals in the SPH. In the meantime, walk.

Part Count: 200

Wet mass: 47.947 t

Dry mass: 26.142 t

Price: from √151,496

* Also available: Wanderfound's Custom Edition. Features Mechjeb Flight Instrumentation, TAC-LS supplies and Extended Trim functionality: action group 5 sets trim to current inputs. https://www.dropbox.com/s/fy0qbhc5tzuypuv/Kerbodyne%20Migration%20Custom.craft?dl=0

If you're willing to use such tactics, you can clip infinite life support supplies into the forward bay without using the debug menu. Kinda defeats the point of TAC-LS, though.

The flying instructions are so simple that they could fit on one of Jebediah’s post-it notes.

1. Take off.

2. Set pitch to 20°.

3. Go to space.

Don’t turn on the Aerospikes until the oxygen runs out. Save the Vernors for when you need them: spin recovery and low-grav VTOL landings.

Appreciates attention to roll just after takeoff, but becomes completely stable once up to speed.

110kN of precisely balanced low-grav VTOL capability.

screenshot864_zpsacc39173.png

Economy Class.

screenshot792_zps99febf81.png

screenshot794_zpsb9ab3600.png

screenshot795_zps8e7978d0.png

Switching to docking mode.

screenshot796_zpsb53fd9d3.png

screenshot797_zpsab79311c.png

Spoilers for descent and landing.

screenshot799_zpsc72e7ec1.png

Easy take off.

screenshot801_zps181aed9c.png

Simple ascent profile (profile showing here slightly lower than norm for flight testing purposes. 20° recommended for normal use).

screenshot806_zps6570ce62.png

Perfect transonic stability. Hands-off piloting with SAS alone after getting up to minimum flight speed.

screenshot808_zps0d0ab72b.png

Enough power for a horizontal ascent: note the low angle of attack and lack of control surface activity.

screenshot811_zps0f128c88.png

Accelerates rapidly.

screenshot812_zps7ede8439.png

Outer engines shut down to extend air-breathing capability.

screenshot818_zps0e67e6f9.png

Switching to closed-cycle propulsion. Aerospikes activated.

screenshot819_zpsa30dbb5c.png

Finally start to see some heating effects. Exceptionally smooth aerodynamics leave the Kerbodyne Migration immune to speeds that would tear lesser craft to shreds.

screenshot824_zps55bf53e8.png

screenshot825_zps4879e270.png

Getting quite warm now.

screenshot829_zps4668024a.png

Whoops.

screenshot830_zpse470e1eb.png

screenshot831_zps472245de.png

(note: shock heating damage inflicted as a deliberate flight testing procedure. Will not occur if customers follow a sane 20° flightpath as instructed. Kerbodyne takes no responsibility for customer losses while flying above Mach 7 in the lower atmosphere)

Still flies perfectly stably.

screenshot832_zpsc9b4f96e.png

There go the other ones.

screenshot834_zpsf142dd3e.png

screenshot835_zpsefee8226.png

(note: both losses due to temperature, not aerodynamic failure. The Kerbodyne Migration airframe is perfectly solid unless intentionally abused)

Still good.

screenshot840_zps9498c10a.png

Mach 8, let’s throttle off and see how we’re doing.

screenshot847_zps09b78ef0.png

Not bad.

screenshot848_zps6b853d12.png

I wonder what will happen if we hit the gas again?

screenshot851_zps56a069e7.png

Out of gas, maybe the RCS will work.

screenshot852_zpsfed9abc3.png

And that’s it, starting to slow down.

screenshot857_zpsc74e5c74.png

Oops.

screenshot859_zps1ec254fe.png

screenshot860_zps566c9616.png

I wonder how much RCS we have left?

screenshot858_zpsa23dac04.png

Requires SP+ and FAR/NEAR. Obviously untroubled by Deadly Reentry.

Craft file available from https://www.dropbox.com/s/gpwx7x5lyu9yr06/Kerbodyne%20Migration.craft?dl=0

Edited by Wanderfound

Guest Space Cowboy

Nice stuff. On the Orion two ship I just found out if I get one Kerbal in the boost plane cockpit, then after separation I change focus to the boost plane with "]". Does not fly well with a load of fuel. I will try burning fuel from the front tank to back on the next flight.

Edited by Space Cowboy

Just had a thought.

You know what would be utterly awesome as a bonus SP+ part when it goes stock?

Loading ramps. Parts with doors that open to the side or underneath so that you can drive rovers on and off them.

Please, Sir Porkjet, is this a thing that can happen? :rolleyes:

I've lost a half dozen spaceplanes in some spectacular ways and I'm blaming this cool pack of parts for getting me hooked.

Dammit.

Edit: 20 minutes later (and after replacing the stick tail fin), I get a stable take-off, 30 degree climb, light the rockets when O2 intakes run dry, and before I know it I've accidentally hit 150km+ Ap. Circularize. Notice fuel levels and realize I've just put a monument into orbit.

screenshot103_zps14e34bef.png

This. Game. Is. CRACK!

I need to play just a bit more...

Edited by Trann

Hi! I just have a problem, i installed correctly and when i play i only have a few parts. Any ideas?

P.S How did you get the "earth" from the pics?

THANKS

either you're in career mode or the mod isn't installed right.

The folder structure should be like this

GameData/SpacePlanePlus/Parts/*

If it looks like this:

GameData/GameData/SpacePlanePlus/Parts/*

Then you will be missing things.

Earth is from Real Solar System mod by NathanKell

Edited by Starwaster

I keep getting a Center of lift that is right of center when attaching wings to the Bicoupler and both the short and long adapter. Anyone else getting this? I have seen many designs working well attaching wings there, so I am thinking it might be a problem on my system.

I keep getting a Center of lift that is right of center when attaching wings to the Bicoupler and both the short and long adapter. Anyone else getting this? I have seen many designs working well attaching wings there, so I am thinking it might be a problem on my system.

I haven't. The only thing I can think of here is that you've got some stray part that's throwing it off.

Either that or.... the system is lying and your CoL is actually fine. (that kinda seems unlikely... but have you tried flying the plane?)

Furiou5,

Do you have FAR or NEAR installed? IIRC, ferram4 said this was an issue with the collision mesh. I see it with the bicoupler, but not the long and short adapters. With the bicoupler, it noticeably affects flight, especially for very small planes. Easy enough to reproduce with a bicoupler + symmetric small delta wings.

Yup, the parts with extra-curvy surfaces are problematic. Doesn't seem to affect non-delta wing surfaces as badly. Either shift the wing forwards or back, base off a structural panel or part clip.

Furiou5,

Do you have FAR or NEAR installed? IIRC, ferram4 said this was an issue with the collision mesh. I see it with the bicoupler, but not the long and short adapters. With the bicoupler, it noticeably affects flight, especially for very small planes. Easy enough to reproduce with a bicoupler + symmetric small delta wings.

Yes just came here to say this exactly. Went through all my Mods one by one until I found it. It is only on the bicoupler, I only had landing gear on half of my plane when I tried the adapters.

Yup, the parts with extra-curvy surfaces are problematic. Doesn't seem to affect non-delta wing surfaces as badly. Either shift the wing forwards or back, base off a structural panel or part clip.

OTOH, if you manage to get it just right, wings through the curvy bits look awesome:

screenshot378_zps70620339.png

so i watched scott manley's youtube vid on this and decided to download it and give it a try... did it change atmospheric settings or something as well? Planes rip apart super easy now, cant get nearly as high, and my rockets are all messed up (I.E. - a 6 stage rocket that took 2 stages to get into space now only takes 1, another 3 stage rocket i can get to space with just my 4 SRB's when it used to take those + orange + 4 frankenstein fuel tanks i made)

so i watched scott manley's youtube vid on this and decided to download it and give it a try... did it change atmospheric settings or something as well? Planes rip apart super easy now, cant get nearly as high, and my rockets are all messed up (I.E. - a 6 stage rocket that took 2 stages to get into space now only takes 1, another 3 stage rocket i can get to space with just my 4 SRB's when it used to take those + orange + 4 frankenstein fuel tanks i made)

It seems to me that beside Spaceplane Plus you also installed some kind of aerodynamic mod... Guessing either NEAR or FAR...

Correct me if i'm wrong, but the SP+ wing strake is the single greatest addition to plane building ever created.

I dunno, Shimmy's Throne is providing tough competition for the title at the moment. :cool:

screenshot992_zps2536abba.png

screenshot993_zps50c38af4.png

screenshot994_zps0c4ea018.png

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/90747-Kerbodyne-SSTO-Division-Omnibus-Thread?p=1370535&viewfull=1#post1370535

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/66220-Bond-Aerotech-Shimmy-s-Throne-1-3-1-F100-jet-engine-Updated-15-AUG-14

Squaddies: please post a hotfix for the bug that prevents loading command chairs in the SPH. Although I'm having fun building runway rocket buses for passenger delivery, individually moving twenty Kerbals to their seats is a bit of a chore. There's a reason why "flight attendant" isn't a popular sim gaming genre.

Edited by Wanderfound