[0.24] Spaceplane Plus 1.3

Porkjet

I've always thought 2 or 3 different Landing gear parts with tweakable / selectable oleo heights would solve every landing gear problem I've come across. This would keep part proliferation at bay.

Small gear (current stock) that stretches to twice the height (0.5m-1m).

Medium gear (like b9 parts) with double wheel bogey that stretch (1m to 2m)

Jumbo gear with double or quad bogey (2m to 3m)

That way, when animating one could have the oleo compress into the leg, and the part folds into the same sized bay regardless of height. I have no idea how hard that would be to code, as I know gear is one of the hardest parts to mod in KSP, but it's a thought.

Seconded on the tweakable option.

"You have selected the landing gear part: would you like light, medium or heavy? Now, adjust this slider to set height".

Aesthetic options on top of that would be nice, but the tweakable thing alone would cover 99% of the functional issues.

If we're kicking around air intake ideas, here's the F-107 (ignore that the intake is on top of the plane):

pima_f-107_01.jpg

Also, regarding landing gear suggestions: If the gear bay is made in such a way that the gear retracts flush, it should have a smooth, convex shell around the top of the bay for wing mounting; this will create an aerodynamic bulge or blister rather than an ungainly box on top of the wing.

I was thinking a shock cone that kept the curved form of the Mk2, kinda like...

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121127023405/memoryalpha/en/images/b/b4/Galaxy_class_navigational_deflector.jpg

...but with an elliptical cone.

Likewise.

Possibly just a teensy bit smaller than the Enterprise​, though.

So, make gear bays as flush as possible, got it!

Ooh, I thought of a part I want! A Mk2 shape air intake! Similar to the Mk2 adapters, but with a big hole instead of an attach node :P Or even better, have it like this intake, with the two channels. And a Mk2 shape on the back.

Sorry if this is in the works already, I just saw someones craft file and it's aching for one of these.

Heh, funny cos I've had something like this around for a while but never finished the texture:

vt3fxOm.jpg

Well now that the Mk2 shape is changed it's for the trash bin... I'll remake it some time tho.

If we're kicking around air intake ideas, here's the F-107 (ignore that the intake is on top of the plane):

http://www.f-100.org/images/pima_f-107_01.jpg

Also, regarding landing gear suggestions: If the gear bay is made in such a way that the gear retracts flush, it should have a smooth, convex shell around the top of the bay for wing mounting; this will create an aerodynamic bulge or blister rather than an ungainly box on top of the wing.

That's a cool intake, I think that would work on the Mk2 shape.

I'm fairly certain someone has already mentioned this, but downward-opening bays (i.e. "bomb bays") would be nice.

Guess what the new vertically symmetrical Mk2 parts will let you do with the standard cargobays :)

Ooh, vertically symmetrical parts! And, if the cockpit model we saw is any indication, they no longer have heat-shield textures, either, so they're completely symmetrical top and bottom.

To be fair though, making upside-down fuselage aircraft was a frequent practice of mine. Made it easier to fit something under the wings.

Nice looking air intake. A Mig-ish lamp in between the holes would be useful.

Speaking of lamps, I have a request for a part: small, low profile, aerodynamic light to attach on the aircraft's belly or wing. I'm no fan of those chi-draining, gear bulbs.

With regards to landing gear. We need more sizes. Right now our best options are Firespitter, KAX, and B9, but even then the sizes (read: height) is limited. It makes it hard to find a good place for them that is still wide enough that the plane doesn't roll on you. You end up forcing yourself into specific wing configurations to mount them there. Even with B9, if I put just standard mid-wings and no anhedral/dihedral configuration I have to mount the rear wheels on the body because the wings sit to high. On thinner bodies that makes it very unstable on landing. It makes Jumbo Jet style gear impossible, even with the two heights B9 has, they still don't have the right height.

Jumbo-jet-taking-off--001.jpg

Fighter Jets rear wheels are often angled to get landing stability while still being mounted to the body. You can turn them in KSP but then you have grip problems since the wheels aren't actually touching the ground where they should. I think it would be cool to have gear that did this as well. The F18 is a good example.

c35-1860-251.jpg

Edited by Alshain

they never had a problem, install the cfg file for far

Not quite; see http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/80796-0-24-Spaceplane-Plus-1-3?p=1377054&viewfull=1#post1377054

That's an issue with SP+ in general rather than FAR in particular, though. Aerodynamic failures exacerbate the problem, however.

Edited by Wanderfound