[WIP][1.0.5]* RSS Visual Enhancements (RVE)

pingopete

Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter  

2,062 members have voted

1. 1. Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter

• A) 1 main cloud layer, 1 cirrus layer (Medium/Compromise)
    • A) Low, Medium, High cloud layers (Heavy/Realistic)
    • B) Detail bias towards Land/Atmosphere visuals
    • B) Detail bias towards Orbit/Space visuals
    • C) Realism
    • C) Detail
    • C) CPU accessibility

Namely cities and city lights

Though it occurs to me that it might make sense to put the daytime city textures in with RSS... although if one wanted to customize that, it might make it harder.

Edited by Fizwalker

No, not just those. Have you ever even _seen_ RVE in action and compared it to regular RSS?

It adds a bunch of new terrain detail textures.

Are you aware that EVE Overhaul supports three folders (Clouds, Cities, Terrain)?

Does this look like it's full of city textures?

EDIT: Sorry, that came out _way_ harsher than intended. I just miss those textures so much :(

Edited by NathanKell

Can someone help me out.. When I try to add this mod, per the sloppy instructions, sometimes it dosent work, so i reinstall and do it again and it will work. Now, when im actually looking at earth (kerbin) half of it is not textured and looks horrible, what am I doing wrong?

Can someone help me out.. When I try to add this mod, per the sloppy instructions, sometimes it dosent work, so i reinstall and do it again and it will work. Now, when im actually looking at earth (kerbin) half of it is not textured and looks horrible, what am I doing wrong?

Does the continents look white or what? Also I notice that you put kerbin so What vesrion of RSS are you using?

I made Venus, Earth, Jupiter and Mars to work in 1.0.3.

Here are the instructions :

1. Install latest RSS and RVE for 0.24

2. Go to Gamedata\RealSolarSystem and open RSSKopernicus.cfg and edit line by adding the red part :

// Earth

Body

{

name = Kerbin

//nameLater = Earth

//cbNameLater = Earth

3. Go to GameData\BoulderCo\Atmosphere and copy and replace this file : https://www.dropbox.com/s/57xul49a8jbvqob/clouds.cfg?dl=0

4. Profit !

I don`t know how to make version for 0.90 work, because it doesn`t work for me even on 0.90.

The only issue I have right now is that Earth is named Kerbin, but I can live with that ;)

So I decided it was about time I actually did some work on RVE instead of waiting for endless fixes, I've done a bit of work porting an older version of RVE and EVE mod (designed for KSP0.9) to KSP1.0.4/RSS10.x etc.

I'm not using the most recent EVE release as it's currently too buggy imo. This older EVE version is arguably more stable and looks better in more areas, but still has many bugs.. as always :P

Because this is an older version of EVE made for ksp 0.9, the GUI isn't accessible in game meaning this will simply be a temporary fix for those looking to roam Earth only.. other planets lack any editing AFAIK. I will setup this as a Git branch/repo as a base for me to work on some specific features until EVE becomes more stable for RSS and I can figure out how to manipulate the atmosphere shader properly.

Sorry no release just yet but some pics for ya'll of progress:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I made Venus, Earth, Jupiter and Mars to work in 1.0.3.

Here are the instructions :

1. Install latest RSS and RVE for 0.24

2. Go to Gamedata\RealSolarSystem and open RSSKopernicus.cfg and edit line by adding the red part :

// Earth

Body

{

name = Kerbin

//nameLater = Earth

//cbNameLater = Earth

3. Go to GameData\BoulderCo\Atmosphere and copy and replace this file : https://www.dropbox.com/s/57xul49a8jbvqob/clouds.cfg?dl=0

4. Profit !

I don`t know how to make version for 0.90 work, because it doesn`t work for me even on 0.90.

The only issue I have right now is that Earth is named Kerbin, but I can live with that ;)

Are city light visible?

I will setup this as a Git branch/repo as a base for me to work on some specific features until EVE becomes more stable for RSS and I can figure out how to manipulate the atmosphere shader properly.

Sorry no release just yet but some pics for ya'll of progress:

http://imgur.com/a/Us97L

HNGGGGGGG!!

This looks amazing!

So when will this be available on git?

Please excuse my impatience!

Wow, pingopete as always it looks incredible. I'm eagerly waiting for this to start an RSS build. One question/concern with what you'll be releasing there. I've been using RVE since you made it available and every time I suffered from the disappearing atmosphere bug. Where if you so much as ascend to a high altitude then descend the atmosphere clips away. Sometimes it'd come back if you time warped around, sometimes not at all.

So what's the status on that and some of the other more prominent graphical bugs?

HNGGGGGGG!!

This looks amazing!

So when will this be available on git?

Please excuse my impatience!

I'll try to get this up with instructions on Git by the end of the week.. job permitting; I work full time now D:

Wow, pingopete as always it looks incredible. I'm eagerly waiting for this to start an RSS build. One question/concern with what you'll be releasing there. I've been using RVE since you made it available and every time I suffered from the disappearing atmosphere bug. Where if you so much as ascend to a high altitude then descend the atmosphere clips away. Sometimes it'd come back if you time warped around, sometimes not at all.

So what's the status on that and some of the other more prominent graphical bugs?

I'll have to look into this specific one, though I do remember it at some points in previous releases. This one will simply be a very rough temporary testing release. You currently need to manually remove the stock atmosphere for best looks, and need to hit apply at some point in the EVE gui when you start up, also all the other niggling things mentioned above :P

Edited by pingopete

Good job on the temporary port pingo, that should keep some folks happy for now.

I just can't wait until the release of the new EVE and then your port to RSS (I mean you're basically the HD-EVE guy right? Possible name-change in future? Hmmm....). I mean KSP is looking at huge improvements soon down the line, with improved graphics mods, Unity 5, etc.

Sadly though it seems that the U5 update will be very big, and may, like, invalidate a lot of what rbray has done for the past several months...

..ouch :(

Then again I've made like 1 SRB in unity which crashed my PC and blew up things, so I ain't got any 1337 skills in that department... :/

The Apply-Bug should be fixed in mainline :)https://github.com/rbray89/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/tree/532caf83233fdc89a5399692106834a7ef2668e5

- - - Updated - - -

Good job on the temporary port pingo, that should keep some folks happy for now.

I just can't wait until the release of the new EVE and then your port to RSS (I mean you're basically the HD-EVE guy right? Possible name-change in future? Hmmm....). I mean KSP is looking at huge improvements soon down the line, with improved graphics mods, Unity 5, etc.

Sadly though it seems that the U5 update will be very big, and may, like, invalidate a lot of what rbray has done for the past several months...

..ouch :(

Then again I've made like 1 SRB in unity which crashed my PC and blew up things, so I ain't got any 1337 skills in that department... :/

I Very much doubt there will be any visual improvements with the upgrade to U5. They have so much work already, and the features that U5 adds aren't very portable to whole-world effects.

I Very much doubt there will be any visual improvements with the upgrade to U5. They have so much work already, and the features that U5 adds aren't very portable to whole-world effects.

Ah I didn't mean that U5 will bring any visual things, I meant that it may bork a lot of rbray's work due to compat. issues.

That would be a shame. Hopefully SQUAD will update to U5 while also adding in some kind of fancy pre-U5 compatability features.

Ah I didn't mean that U5 will bring any visual things, I meant that it may bork a lot of rbray's work due to compat. issues.

That would be a shame. Hopefully SQUAD will update to U5 while also adding in some kind of fancy pre-U5 compatability features.

The only thing that looks like it could bite me is the shader loading method I use. It isn't supported in U5.2+ it seems.

This looks fantastic; I am eagerly awaiting being able to visually enhance my realism overhaul install again. Thank you rbray and pete for your hard work.

ah guys this is just awesome! it is looking fantastic!!! those sunsets, my goodness! can't wait to surf through that atmosphere!!! thank you rbray pete, and everyone whos names I'm missing!!!! this is just amazing work! you are the kindest!!!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.