[WIP][1.0.5]* RSS Visual Enhancements (RVE)

pingopete

Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter  

2,062 members have voted

1. 1. Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter

• A) 1 main cloud layer, 1 cirrus layer (Medium/Compromise)
    • A) Low, Medium, High cloud layers (Heavy/Realistic)
    • B) Detail bias towards Land/Atmosphere visuals
    • B) Detail bias towards Orbit/Space visuals
    • C) Realism
    • C) Detail
    • C) CPU accessibility

I got it working but there is this weird square around earth that looks like the atmo :huh: hey i have also the git hub version and it dosn't change if i have scatter or not. yes i don't use scatter it still works

Edited by Jamesbowser

So in all these screenshots that other people have posted I'm seeing clouds, yet have yet to see clouds on my system (as you can see in the pictures of me flying over the north pole).  I'm running KSP 1.0.5 on OS-X, but am using the unity 4.6.4 framework which lets me run 64 bit (no memory issues, woot!).  Thus, I used the Linux64 branch.  I have the latest version of Realism Overhaul (installed using CKAN an Mono), EVE, scatterer, and have even made sure to remove the clouds.cfg in the BoulderCo folder.  I've scanned through the OP and didn't see anything about missing clouds, any ideas?

Edited by rsparkyc

1 hour ago, rsparkyc said:

So in all these screenshots that other people have posted I'm seeing clouds, yet have yet to see clouds on my system (as you can see in the pictures of me flying over the north pole).  I'm running KSP 1.0.5 on OS-X, but am using the unity 4.6.4 framework which lets me run 64 bit (no memory issues, woot!).  Thus, I used the Linux64 branch.  I have the latest version of Realism Overhaul (installed using CKAN an Mono), EVE, scatterer, and have even made sure to remove the clouds.cfg in the BoulderCo folder.  I've scanned through the OP and didn't see anything about missing clouds, any ideas?

A few guesses, I may be wrong:

You shouldn't be using the latest version of EVE. There is a specific version that you must use, and its link is located in the readme file.

RVE's last update is not configured to the latest version of Scatterer, you must use an older version. (0.0.222 iirc?) You can download the specific version from SpaceDock.

Lastly, the boulderco foulder shouldn't exist anymore if you're attempting to run the linux64 branch.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Just now, Brianson100 said:

A few guesses, I may be wrong:

You shouldn't be using the latest version of EVE. There is a specific version that you must use, and its link is located in the readme file.

RVE's last update is not configured to the latest version of Scatterer, you must use an older version. (0.0.222 iirc?) You can download the specific version from SpaceDock.

Lastly, the boulderco foulder shouldn't exist anymore if you're attempting to run the linux64 branch.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Facepalm.  While I downloaded the right version on EVE, I still used CKAN to install it. Looks like I'm making progress, since now I have clouds on the welcome screen.

4 hours ago, Jamesbowser said:

I found out which bug is causing the glitch is there a fix for 

• Texture borders in space

It's the way eve handles detail textures which RVE uses, I've tiled my textures but there are borders in certain areas around the globe due to the way they're applied. Other option is to go without the detail texture RVE uses currently and one without transparency

Edited by pingopete

On 6/22/2015 at 3:02 PM, Alexoff said:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0L7tcgfuAt2UGx5ek5pVlI2bkk

Well, it's my simplified my own mod (really I created special beauty mod for stock, New Horizons and RSS, last one is not ready), almost everywhere (on big planets) I put atmosphere, somewhere they are deactivated.

I use ksp 1.0.2 with upgraded unity to x64, it's almost like 1.0.2 but more stable and can use win 7/8

By the way, I can see the same black dots on Jool in intestellar, but it's not too easy to notice them. damned shaders!

I hate to drop in like this but its been about 6 months and i'm back. I just downloaded this and Venus clouds don't exist yet, still. Venus clouds are a particular soft spot in my heart as Venus is the greatest planet landing challenge of all. Is the old Averoff fix still working? Can we merge Averoffs with current version of RVE? I might give this a go.

Edited by pditty8811

On 19.03.2016 at 9:16 PM, pditty8811 said:

I hate to drop in like this but its been about 6 months and i'm back. I just downloaded this and Venus clouds don't exist yet, still. Venus clouds are a particular soft spot in my heart as Venus is the greatest planet landing challenge of all. Is the old Averoff fix still working? Can we merge Averoffs with current version of RVE? I might give this a go.

My mod was for EVE 7.4, RVE based on EVE Overhaul, mixing is dangerous for your PC memory

On 3/19/2016 at 3:16 PM, pditty8811 said:

mate!! a LOT has happened in the past 6 months! it would be virtually impossible to try and use a 6-month-old custom patch/mod and make it work with the latest developments in all the related mods (EVE, RVE, scatterer, etc.)

PLUS -> I have good news for you! your wishes have been granted, have a look at the current RVE version:

AOOzl80.png

XbnIRhY.png

53 minutes ago, hypervelocity said:

mate!! a LOT has happened in the past 6 months! it would be virtually impossible to try and use a 6-month-old custom patch/mod and make it work with the latest developments in all the related mods (EVE, RVE, scatterer, etc.)

PLUS -> I have good news for you! your wishes have been granted, have a look at the current RVE version:

AOOzl80.png

XbnIRhY.png

I just installed it and only Earth is cloudy. hmm...

I will try another install, perhaps mod conflict. Anyhow, if what you say is true, I'm very excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

8 minutes ago, pditty8811 said:

I just installed it and only Earth is cloudy. hmm...

I will try another install, perhaps mod conflict. Anyhow, if what you say is true, I'm very excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

it is deffo true, not playing with ya!!! 

download and install scatterer

download and install PROPER version of EVE (try searching for NathanKell's posts in this topic, one of the latest is the direct link to the correct version you should use)

download and copy-paste RVE's folders&files into Gamedata

enjoy :)

PS: I'm using the Linux branch of RVE as I'm playing in Ubuntu without RAM limits - maybe Win32's branch does not have the Venus clouds, not sure tho :)

Edited by hypervelocity

25 minutes ago, hypervelocity said:

it is deffo true, not playing with ya!!! 

download and install scatterer

download and install PROPER version of EVE (try searching for NathanKell's posts in this topic, one of the latest is the direct link to the correct version you should use)

download and copy-paste RVE's folders&files into Gamedata

enjoy :)

PS: I'm using the Linux branch of RVE as I'm playing in Ubuntu without RAM limits - maybe Win32's branch does not have the Venus clouds, not sure tho :)

I used Linux version. I am on Win64 however, with 64 bit workaround. executable up to 9.5gb ram during play, with over 100 mods.

Perhaps mod conflict.

I don't know if the version of EVE overhaul is latest. I grabbed it from the link in the OP. I also have Scaterer and put the correct RVE folders in GameData.

However, the folders RVE and Environmental.... were not modified or even created prior to me putting them into the GameData folder from the RVE install, which tells me there are no mod conflicts. I don't have kopernicus or any other mods installed. I am using RSS with max textures size.

However, I am using KSP 1.0.5

Edited by pditty8811

Hi guys. Trying to run this on win32, the linux version puts me right against the 4gb ram limit so I inevitably crash pretty quick - so I definitely need to scale some things down/remove some things to make this playable. In doing so, I have a question - scatterer is a required mod for RVE, but there's some 80 MB of textures in scatterer all in folders for planets that don't even exist in RSS. Are these textures even necessary at all? Can I just remove them wholesale, or should I just reduce the sizes of these and keep them? They're in raw format which I can't seem to find any way to edit in the first place, so I'm really hoping I can just delete instead.

Edit: And also curious - the images in the Texture Replacer folder. Those are skyboxes I assume, right? Can those be safely removed?

Edited by mr_trousers

16 hours ago, mr_trousers said:

Hi guys. Trying to run this on win32, the linux version puts me right against the 4gb ram limit so I inevitably crash pretty quick - so I definitely need to scale some things down/remove some things to make this playable. In doing so, I have a question - scatterer is a required mod for RVE, but there's some 80 MB of textures in scatterer all in folders for planets that don't even exist in RSS. Are these textures even necessary at all? Can I just remove them wholesale, or should I just reduce the sizes of these and keep them? They're in raw format which I can't seem to find any way to edit in the first place, so I'm really hoping I can just delete instead.

Edit: And also curious - the images in the Texture Replacer folder. Those are skyboxes I assume, right? Can those be safely removed?

What planets? Are you refering to eve textures, rss textures or scatterer stuff? There's only Mars and Earth here https://github.com/Pingopete/RVE-KSP-1.0.4/tree/Linux64/scatterer/config

You shouldn't have the stock scatterer planet configs and files just the ones distributed with RVE

4 hours ago, pingopete said:

What planets? Are you refering to eve textures, rss textures or scatterer stuff? There's only Mars and Earth here https://github.com/Pingopete/RVE-KSP-1.0.4/tree/Linux64/scatterer/config

You shouldn't have the stock scatterer planet configs and files just the ones distributed with RVE

Oh, how bizarre. Strangely, the version of the linux branch I downloaded has only PlanetsList.cfg in the scatterer folder, no Earth or Mars folders. No idea how that happened. I'll reinstall RVE.

However, the presence of non-existent planets in my scatterer config file is due to a different, and more explainable reason:

In the first post for this mod, it lists scatterer as a required mod for RVE. Then, in the installation instructions, it says to "install all required mods first", and then to put the folders from the RVE download into GameData. So in following these instructions, I first downloaded scatterer, which comes with the stock planets, and then dragged the scatterer folder from RVE into GameData, which only adds or overwrites things in the default scatterer version, but removes nothing. Hence, stock planets remained in my scatterer. Was this not how installation of RVE was meant to proceed? Was I not supposed to download scatterer from the scatterer topic and install it first? It sounds like that was wrong.

Thanks.

15 hours ago, mr_trousers said:

Oh, how bizarre. Strangely, the version of the linux branch I downloaded has only PlanetsList.cfg in the scatterer folder, no Earth or Mars folders. No idea how that happened. I'll reinstall RVE.

However, the presence of non-existent planets in my scatterer config file is due to a different, and more explainable reason:

In the first post for this mod, it lists scatterer as a required mod for RVE. Then, in the installation instructions, it says to "install all required mods first", and then to put the folders from the RVE download into GameData. So in following these instructions, I first downloaded scatterer, which comes with the stock planets, and then dragged the scatterer folder from RVE into GameData, which only adds or overwrites things in the default scatterer version, but removes nothing. Hence, stock planets remained in my scatterer. Was this not how installation of RVE was meant to proceed? Was I not supposed to download scatterer from the scatterer topic and install it first? It sounds like that was wrong.

Thanks.

Yeah this is because the two versions of RVE require different install methods although as it is I haven't updated to latest scatterer in the linux version because of some issues and windows 32 version is way out of date. Basically just use the Linux64 branch. Again just really waiting on win64 :(

Hi, first time poster here! I'm having some difficulty installing the Linux64 version of RVE on My Win64 (1.0.5) install (I used the 64-bit workaround)
 I've spent about 3 days trying to get it working but I though that I might get some assistance here.

I haven't had any crashes or anything like that and it appears to be pretty stable but I'm having a quite a few major visual bugs that I can't seem to resolve. The main one being that when ascending through the atmosphere, as I approach where it seems to transfer to the orbital visuals from the ground/atmospheric ones, the planet will get progressively whiter and eventually become almost entirely white. When a certain altitude ( I'd say around 250km up) is reached, it will almost instantly go back to being beautiful again. I'm not sure if this is an issue with scatterer or EVE, but I'm leaning toward it being an EVE issue. I can handle some occasional cloud flickering but the whiteness thing is very strange.  I recorded a video of an ascent to orbit and soem bugs are very clearly visible. I try to show my scatterer and EVE settings as best as I could.

I understand that RVE is still a work in progress (it is also amazing by the way :D) but I've seen other people's installs and they don't seem to be having this issue so I think it is a problem with how I installed it.

Another issue I'm having that can be seen in the video is that I can't seem to get the city lights to work at all. I'm not sure why but when I load the game EVE doesn't seem to have the CityLights configurations in it. And when I try to manually enter them (which I do in the second video) they still do not appear. I do recall during an early stage of trying to install RVE they were working but I had many other issues then that I seem to have fixed. I have no idea what is causing this :confused:.

My system is running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit and I am using the 64-bit workaround so RAM usage isn't a problem.

I have tried to refrain from installing other mods to this install until I can get RVE working so I don't have that many mods that could be conflicting. I'm using scatterer v0.022 and not the latest versions because I think they don't work with RVE yet. I got EVE from here: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/rbray89/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/fcc42a6c7faafbec1f8656a04e59faa86de8f8c7/x86-EVE-Release.zip

This is what I have selected on the scatterer features selector in case that is of any use (I didn't really know what I was doing there:(). BJokYpe.png

Here is the KSP.log for that install if it helps: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2fg6LdctmXSUU9vY2N0NzQ1dVU/view?usp=sharing

Here is a video of a descent with some visual bugs, including ones I have mentioned and some others that I haven't seen before(I also accidentally recorded a Steam voice chat but there isn't talking only breathing and coughing so whoops :sticktongue:):

This is the current state of my GameData folder just in case there are conflicting mods: 6Y54ThO.png?1

EDIT: Seem to have fixed the transition from PQS to ScaledSpace using the fix from this comment from a guy who seems to know what he's talking about:

However I still can't seem to get the City Lights and Textures to work

Edited by neutroncookie

On 3/24/2016 at 8:09 PM, neutroncookie said:

Hi, first time poster here! I'm having some difficulty installing the Linux64 version of RVE on My Win64 (1.0.5) install (I used the 64-bit workaround)
 I've spent about 3 days trying to get it working but I though that I might get some assistance here.

I haven't had any crashes or anything like that and it appears to be pretty stable but I'm having a quite a few major visual bugs that I can't seem to resolve. The main one being that when ascending through the atmosphere, as I approach where it seems to transfer to the orbital visuals from the ground/atmospheric ones, the planet will get progressively whiter and eventually become almost entirely white. When a certain altitude ( I'd say around 250km up) is reached, it will almost instantly go back to being beautiful again. I'm not sure if this is an issue with scatterer or EVE, but I'm leaning toward it being an EVE issue. I can handle some occasional cloud flickering but the whiteness thing is very strange.  I recorded a video of an ascent to orbit and soem bugs are very clearly visible. I try to show my scatterer and EVE settings as best as I could.

I understand that RVE is still a work in progress (it is also amazing by the way :D) but I've seen other people's installs and they don't seem to be having this issue so I think it is a problem with how I installed it.

Another issue I'm having that can be seen in the video is that I can't seem to get the city lights to work at all. I'm not sure why but when I load the game EVE doesn't seem to have the CityLights configurations in it. And when I try to manually enter them (which I do in the second video) they still do not appear. I do recall during an early stage of trying to install RVE they were working but I had many other issues then that I seem to have fixed. I have no idea what is causing this :confused:.

My system is running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit and I am using the 64-bit workaround so RAM usage isn't a problem.

I have tried to refrain from installing other mods to this install until I can get RVE working so I don't have that many mods that could be conflicting. I'm using scatterer v0.022 and not the latest versions because I think they don't work with RVE yet. I got EVE from here: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/rbray89/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/fcc42a6c7faafbec1f8656a04e59faa86de8f8c7/x86-EVE-Release.zip

This is what I have selected on the scatterer features selector in case that is of any use (I didn't really know what I was doing there:(). BJokYpe.png

Here is the KSP.log for that install if it helps: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2fg6LdctmXSUU9vY2N0NzQ1dVU/view?usp=sharing

Here is a video of a descent with some visual bugs, including ones I have mentioned and some others that I haven't seen before(I also accidentally recorded a Steam voice chat but there isn't talking only breathing and coughing so whoops :sticktongue:):

This is the current state of my GameData folder just in case there are conflicting mods: 6Y54ThO.png?1

EDIT: Seem to have fixed the transition from PQS to ScaledSpace using the fix from this comment from a guy who seems to know what he's talking about:

However I still can't seem to get the City Lights and Textures to work

Yeah switching to vessels via tracking station first thing on game start and loading quicksaves cause these issues with EVE in RSS. You have to load a vehicle to launch pad or runway on game start before switching via map view (not tracking center) to orbiting vessels. A temp fix for the white effect can be using the EVE gui apply, but use it on the dark side so you don't see the effects that that in itself causes. The flashing ocean is an issue with scatterer which I'm looking to fix. The blue horizon is an issue with Scatterer as well although I thought I'd mitigated that using the scatterer config (this is a much older scatterer than the current release). The planet going white is an issue which stratocheif found a fix for but I have yet to include it as I'd had some issues with it. He posted a fix for it on this topic somewhere a few pages back. RVE is a WIP.. lots of bugs still with its dependancies, for the time being we'll just have to put up with these bugs until the authors can get them fixed I'm afraid or use the temp fixes I've posted on the OP :)

EDIT: what do you mean textures, I see ground textures, at least in PQS, are they not present in ScaledSpace/Orbit? Also city lights alone or just the city day texture? allot of these things have broken recently with numerous updates to scatterer since the version of RVE you're using was designed for :/

Edited by pingopete

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.