[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

What's SPU stand for? Nope, not using KSO. I love the models, but as I never found myself actually using them apart for the station bits and MKS has plenty of stuff for building stations I decided to not use them for this play through :)

Alright so I'm playing with the RSS settings from RO. I have some questions about all the settings.

I'm wondering about how the root range setting and the multiple antenna multiplier combine? So with a Communotron 16 and a CommTech EXP-VR-2T on two different ships, they would normally have a max range of 5,200 kilometers, because the ranges are 2500 and 3000 individually, so 2500+sqrt(2500*3000). Let's say I were to add a second Communotron 16 onto the first ship, so... the ship now has 5000 on its own, correct? And does it just use that number in the root formula? So 3000+sqrt(5000*3000)=6873?

I also wanted to lower the multiple antenna multiplier to like 0.9 just for a slightly added challenge, I just want to make sure I understand its effect first. So when you have it set to 1.0 it just straight adds the range - so if I had a Communotron 16 and a CommTech EXP-VR-2T on the SAME ship, the individual range of that ship would just be 2500+3000=5500. If I set it to 0.9, does it just multiply that by their combined amount? So that ship's range is 0.9(5500)=4950? And then for it communicating with another ship would just plug that number in for its range in the root formula?

So I was doing the calculations before to figure out the minimum altitude I would need for a satellite constellation, so let's say I wanted to put some satellites up which would constantly be in range with each other at a distance of, say, 20000 km. If I set the multiple antenna multiplier to 0.9, to make it so that these two satellites had a constant omni connection with each other, I would want to put, say, five Communotron 16s on each satellite, which would give each an individual range of 0.9(5*2500)=11111, which would mean that the two satellites would have a max range of 22222.

Am I doing this right? The math isn't exactly terribly complex but I just want to make sure I understand all the functions properly and am not missing something obvious... you know, before I start trying to put satellites up, haha.

Is there a way to edit the bigger dishes to make them reach farther? If so, how?

In the remote tech folder there is a cfg file that lists the reach of all antennas, just find the one you want and change the number

I don't have ksp here so I can't go much into details, should be something like "antennas.cfg"

Is there a way to edit the bigger dishes to make them reach farther? If so, how?

Go into your GameData/RemoteTech folder and open up RemoteTech_Antennas.cfg, and also RemoteTech_Squad_Antennas.cfg. Each part has a heading like "@PART[RTShortAntenna1]:FOR[RemoteTech]," where RTShortAntenna1 is the code's name for the part. You want to go down to the one you want, and in its block, edit either the "%Mode1OmniRange" for omnidirectional antennas or "%Mode1DishRange" for the dishes. The ranges are all in meters, by the way.

The parts with their in-file names in order of default range are:

Reflectron DP-10: RTShortAntenna1 (RemoteTech_Antennas.cfg)

Communotron 16: longAntenna (RemoteTech_Squad_Antennas.cfg)

CommTech EXP-VR-2T: RTLongAntenna3 (RemoteTech_Antennas.cfg)

Communotron 32: RTLongAntenna2 (RemoteTech_Antennas.cfg)

Comms DTS-M1: mediumDishAntenna (RemoteTech_Squad_Antennas.cfg)

Reflectron KR-7: RTShortDish2 (RemoteTech_Antennas.cfg)

Communotron 88-88: commDish (RemoteTech_Squad_Antennas.cfg)

Reflectron KR-14: RTLongDish2 (RemoteTech_Antennas.cfg)

CommTech-1: RTGigaDish2 (RemoteTech_Antennas.cfg)

Reflectron GX-128: RTGigaDish1 (RemoteTech_Antennas.cfg)

disregard this is from action groups extended. he added remote tech support.

Sorry about that, I suppose with the CKAN update you don't necessarily see the patch notes.

You can show/hide that window in AGX's settings menu (right-click on the AGX button to show the settings window).

D.

Hi! With the recent version 1.6.2, I can steer my vessel instantanously without the signal delay (WASD + Throttle controls).

Is that on purpose? I'm pretty sure that was not possible in older (1.5?) versions.

I'm getting this too... And I'm using stock probe cores (OKTO2 and RC-001S).

I had a craft with bunch of probes attached to it, and when I would decouple a probe and switch to it the controls would be delayed. But after I go to the space centre and switch to the probe again the controls would be instantaneous...

I'm done screwing around with this half-finished mod.

I wanted to like it. I like the idea of it. But it keeps stopping me from even doing basic things, because it just doesn't work right.

Here I am, well within line of sight to a ground station, at a mere 200,000 meters off the ground. My Communotron 16 is activated, I have a Reflectron, and yet somehow I don't have a signal to my spacecraft. This is supposed to be good almost to the Mun, but I can't communicate with a ground station I have a line of sight to, at 200,000 meters. And this isn't the first time this has happened to me.

Best of luck with your mod, but it needs work.

I've been using it for a year through numerous iterations of itself and KSP without any problems that have prevented me from doing whatever I want in the game, including deploying multiple comm systems both planetary and interplanetary. Sorry but I suspect user error of some sort here.

I've been using it for a year through numerous iterations of itself and KSP without any problems that have prevented me from doing whatever I want in the game, including deploying multiple comm systems both planetary and interplanetary. Sorry but I suspect user error of some sort here.

@Gaiiden; same for me. All problems that have happened where I start to blame RT, have turned out to be my fault. No power, range issues, line of sight, and a plethora of other self induced buglets...

I still had battery power. I checked the map and there was no line to a ground station.

Battery power was the first thing I checked.

Was the antenna on? Were you above the ground station's horizon?

I've never had issues, but then again, my first network is always a series of 6 relays in LKO that cover the equator and always have a reliable connection to the KSC for other sats to piggyback from. Oh boy is that fun to set up... :rolleyes:

Edited by Nitrous Oxide

Not familiar with RSS antenna ranges, but being able to reach the mun sounds like you have a dish antenna, which needs to be aimed to ksc, or any other command center. Also, to me, it looks like you may JUST be under the horizon, and therefore being out of LoS.

Yeah, looks like you're slightly under the horizon... this is why I set up my LKO network ASAP... satellites have better LOS than the ground stations, better coverage angles and more chances your connection will hit something. Here's a rudimentary diagram explaining the problem and why you can't connect to the ground station...

eucFewy.png

I've had that happen to me a couple times... if your satellite is good though, just wait until it comes back around the orbit (assuming you made it) and it'll eventually link up and you'll be able to send whatever commands you still need to send. Also, you can use the flight computer to queue commands before you lose link, and your sat will execute them even if it doesn't have link at the maneuver node or whatnot.

I said it was supposed to reach almost to mun, with the Communotron 16. I didn't try to land on mun with it. Thus. that antenna should certainly have the range to reach the planet from 200,000 km. You can see that I am in a very low orbit around Kerbin/Earth.

ETA: The SS was taken after I had passed over the point where the station was going below the horizon. I flew right past it and got no signal, and had no control over the craft.

Anyway, I guess I'm just posting this so you might know there's an issue. I've already uninstalled the mod.

Edited by RocketBlam