Kerbal Stuff, an open-source Space Port replacement

SirCmpwn

3 hours ago, Bubblz said:

If Squad wants people to use Curse they should damn well integrate it a lot better than they do now.
At least games like WoW and Minecraft have (semi-)automatic addon updates through the Curse client, why the hell can't KSP do the same?

The curse client is shady at best, and damn near malware at worst.  At least it used to be back when I did play WoW, I doubt, as a money oriented business, it has gotten any better.  CKAN was always a small, open it, update your mods and close it affair.  Curse is a "let me start in the background, hog up resources, throw ads in your face, beg for money to upgrade to premium, and force you to go into settings to disable all the load on start up, minimize to tray crap".

24 minutes ago, Otis said:
19 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

I'm sorry but you are mixing pieces.  KSP never started as some independent guy making a game.  It was a guy at his COMPANY where his company backed the project and he made it as an employee.  It has nothing to do with forgetting your roots or anything like that.

It is much the same way that while Squad loves the modding community you will never see them backing any individual independent mod or modder.  It's not even that Squad wouldn't want to, but there are business things that go on in the world that often make those sorts of things hard or improper to do.

Why do people keep equating www.curse.com with http://kerbal.curseforge.com?

Seriously, I don't get it. Could someone please explain this so it gets through my thick skull?

Squad's move to use curseforge as the official mod platform has proven itself to be a wise decision, despite what people are saying. It has proven to be safe, stable, and reliable, at least in my experience. There are no ads. The web page looks exactly the same whether I use an adblocker or not. Those who say otherwise apparently are not seeing the same thing that I am.

You are one of the lucky few then. I do not think so, as I preffered Spaceport... though Kerbalstuff was the true Spaceport 2.0 really, in UI and everything. Curse is something compeltely different, cluttered, tiny text, massive management of space issues (in my opinion, and many others it seems), and ad ridden with the most hated popup and obscure page ads. I certainly get those.

As for safe, yeah something about it makes me feel paranoid, data gathering vibes and all that. Dunno why, but the fact it makes me feel that way is bad enough...

Stable, I can't say much about that. Reliable... you're just using synonyms here. Felt it obnoxious to get to mods and an actual download, much less an older version, which is crystal clear with KS.

And ads, yeah you're weird. I get popup obscuring ads as I said.

(Oh and as jedensuscg pointed out, it's not reliable at all for mod authors, and I've seent that several places. Mod authors say just use KS, cuz Curse won't be updated. Reliability right out the window.)

Edited by Aerolfos

8 minutes ago, Otis said:

I see says the blind man, thank you. I have never even seen that button until just now. I haven't once scrolled down far enough to find it. I'd bet that link is part of the deal Squad made with curse, to get revenue. Still, I'm not upset about it. If the revenue generated from that link gives us a reliable place to get mods, so be it.

But the issue is it's not that reliable.  I can not begin to count the number of times I have read the mods official forum posts that always says "use the kerbalstuff download link because curse takes days to update the files on their server".  And it's true.  Curseforge (of which is owned and operated by curse and is really just a different website to access the same files on the same database) takes sometimes several days to show the most current version of the mod, even if the author uploaded at as soon as it was ready.

2 minutes ago, jedensuscg said:

The curse client is shady at best, and damn near malware at worst.  At least it used to be back when I did play WoW, I doubt, as a money oriented business, it has gotten any better.  CKAN was always a small, open it, update your mods and close it affair.  Curse is a "let me start in the background, hog up resources, throw ads in your face, beg for money to upgrade to premium, and force you to go into settings to disable all the load on start up, minimize to tray crap".

Can CKAN use curesforge in the same way it used KerbalStuff?

5 minutes ago, TK421d said:

content, as in individual mods.  not the removal of the site itself.

That's your own interpretation. Like many are saying -- there's no question that dropping the site with little/no warning was pretty crappy, but it was completely in his right to do so. Nothing more is *owed* the community, but it would be an interesting question to ask the (former) site owner whether they considered what their future interactions in the community would consist of, or if the love and interest in the game was completely crushed by the experience of hosting KerbalStuff.

I totally understand losing interest in things, and just utterly dropping them from time to time. I return to some projects after years at a time, but if there are aspects of shared projects, just abandoning them creates a huge amount of ill-will.

Edited by Beetlecat

2 minutes ago, Aerolfos said:

You are one of the lucky few then. I do not think so, as I preffered Spaceport... though Kerbalstuff was the true Spaceport 2.0 really, in UI and everything. Curse is something compeltely different, cluttered, tiny text, massive management of space issues (in my opinion, and many others it seems), and ad ridden with the most hated popup and obscure page ads. I certainly get those.

As for safe, yeah something about it makes me feel paranoid, data gathering vibes and all that. Dunno why, but the fact it makes me feel that way is bad enough...

Stable, I can't say much about that. Reliable... you're just using synonyms here. Felt it obnoxious to get to mods and an actual download, much less an older version, which is crystal clear with KS.

And ads, yeah you're weird. I get popup obscuring ads as I said.

again, ww.curse.com is not the same as http://kerbal.curseforge.com/

Just now, jedensuscg said:

But the issue is it's not that reliable.  I can not begin to count the number of times I have read the mods official forum posts that always says "use the kerbalstuff download link because curse takes days to update the files on their server".  And it's true.  Curseforge (of which is owned and operated by curse and is really just a different website to access the same files on the same database) takes sometimes several days to show the most current version of the mod, even if the author uploaded at as soon as it was ready.

This is assuming that you can get it uploaded anyway. Which is why I won't use Curse.

1 minute ago, Otis said:

Yes. In fact, some mods that are already available through CKAN are hosted on kerbalstuff (main example being KER). CKAN can update its metadata to post to the next hosting solution, but it won't be a painless experience...

4 minutes ago, Otis said:

Probably, but I doubt the CKAN will want to (seeing above). However, GitHub hosting will probably grow in popularity and suit mostly everyone.

Edited by stupid_chris

1 minute ago, Ippo said:

Yes. In fact, some mods that are already available through CKAN are hosted on kerbalstuff (main example being KER). CKAN can update its metadata to post to the next hosting solution, but it won't be a painless experience...

Don't forget Curse won't have the latest version of the mod, not for some time anyway..

Edited by Aerolfos

Just now, Beetlecat said:

That's your own interpretation. Like many are saying -- there's no question that dropping the site with little/no warning was pretty crappy, it was completely in his right to do so. Nothing more is *owed* the community, but it would be an interesting question to ask the (former) site owner whether they considered what their future interactions in the community would consist of, and if the love and interest in the game was completely crushed by the experience of hosting KerbalStuff.

That was over 2 months ago, ample warning time.

3 minutes ago, Otis said:

I am not sure.  I think curseforge would have to allow access for that through an api or something.  I am not really sure how CKAN works in regards to getting links and it any link is possible or not. All the links that I know of came from kerbalstuff or github, and mods that used curse or personal download locations were never able to be obtained through CKAN.  Mechjeb is an example.  You could get it from curse or from the authors own website, and it was never available on CKAN.

1 minute ago, Yemo said:

Well, not exactly a specific warning, or timeline, but it does show SirCmpwn's general sense of things. I'm sure many of us wish this was made more broadly known. But we are where we are. :)

Okay, thanks for helping me understand. I think I understand that curseforge is part of curse, and that curseforge can be a  pain for modders to use. I can see where the frustration is coming from. From my side, as a user and downloader, I haven't had any problems. I think that even though the loss of KerbalStuff is causing shockwaves, I'm hopeful that something good is going to come out of it for everyone.

Just now, Beetlecat said:

Well, not exactly a specific warning, or timeline, but it does show SirCmpwn's general sense of things. I'm sure many of us wish this was made more broadly known. But we are where we are. :)

Yea, but that kind of was the issue, that nearly no one cared as long as it worked. I guess we as a community have to blame ourselves (with few exceptions) for how that went.

16 minutes ago, Otis said:

again, ww.curse.com is not the same as http://kerbal.curseforge.com/

curseforge is only a github style front for curse.com.  When you upload through curseforge (or download) you are downloading from the same database as curse.com/ksp.  It is why even using curseforge, authors deal with the struggle to get their mods reviewed and uploaded in a timely fashion.  In fact, there is even a link on the mods page that says "view mod on curse".  Same company owns it.  Only difference is squad might cover some of their operating costs negating the need for ads, but they still don't care about the customers.  

Just to be clear, I used to use curse and it's client a lot when I played WoW.  I even had a paid premium membership because I played on two different computers and paying was the only way to sync your addon configs and settings between two computers without having to manually email or attach to a USB drive.  It was good for what it did, but honestly it was never as easy or intuitive as kerbalstuff.  And it seemed to always make a presence even when I closed the client app with some popup or recommendation or whatever.

Edited by jedensuscg

11 minutes ago, jedensuscg said:

1 hour ago, Jadedcat said:

Current average is <5 mins for mod approval, very few mods are so complex that they take more than 20 mins to check.

About the only time you'll see delays in approval time:

- Holidays - some of our employees like spending time with families, so there's usually only 2 of us to cover holidays.

- The person on shift (10 hr shifts) goes to take a quick restroom break, comes back in 5 mins to find 50 new files - tends to delay things while catching up

- The project creator didn't upload a file. We can't even see projects until there is a valid file attached

Disclaimer: I work for Curse. They pay me. I am employed by Curse to administrate forums and review mods from all the games we host. I do not speak for Curse, I am just a admin/reviewer.

9 minutes ago, Yemo said:

And you left out other parts of that post such as "...  I guess I'll upgrade the server to a better one when I have time " which in context of that post certainly doesn't make it sound like a warning of impending shut down.

10 minutes ago, jedensuscg said:

7 minutes ago, AlphaAsh said:

This is assuming that you can get it uploaded anyway. Which is why I won't use Curse.

Funny, I never had any issues with my uploads to Curse. You guys might want to tone down the rhetoric.

WOW, glad I've taken a bit of a break from KSP lately.  Looks like in the future I'll either be playing un-modded or wait until another sufficient location is found to house mods.  I will not use that outhouse of an advertisement and malware pusher that is Curse ever again.

Edit:  And thanks to @SirCmpwn for all his tireless effort and monetary contribution to this game that we all love.  Sorry the constant negativity of things overwhelmed the massively positive thing you did for all of us who use mods.

Edited by Ignath