[1.1.3] Surface Experiment Pack - EVA science for KIS/KAS (v1.4.2 6/30/2016) *Now with less explosions*

AlbertKermin

Okay, forgive the stupid question, but... Why aren't any of the science parts actually generating science? I've had nothing but trouble with the DMagic science animate module... And yes, I DO have the plugin installed. I'll try a fresh install of the plugin and see if that fixes anything...

KSP1.1.1, 64 bit WIndows build on Win7.

EDIT: WTF? a fresh install of the plugin cleared it all up. :huh:

Edited by MaverickSawyer

i think i figured out whats up with your sciencedefs.. i modified it to get rid of all trailing white spaces and replaced the spaces you inserted before entries with tabs and i fixed a few missing ='s you were missing and some missing spaces before ='s...not sure which one of those fixed the issue but i posted it on my dropbox if you want to compare it or test it... to clarify i was having the issue with duplicate science defs ids and it breaking the right click menu with some science experiments like the ones from sounding rockets

https://www.dropbox.com/s/elpkm8olfoixjsg/ScienceDefs.cfg?dl=0

Edited by dewdkorn6969

24 minutes ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Okay, forgive the stupid question, but... Why aren't any of the science parts actually generating science? I've had nothing but trouble with the DMagic science animate module... And yes, I DO have the plugin installed. I'll try a fresh install of the plugin and see if that fixes anything...

KSP1.1.1, 64 bit WIndows build on Win7.

What pluggins, specifically?

Thanks, 

CM

19 minutes ago, Mechtech said:

question! some of the science experiments explode on setup. this is very irritating, since I shipped the dang things to Duna (and a Kerbal to set them up) and yeah. little help?

Same problem here.  I was looking forward to this mod (I previously used Munar Experiment Package).  But, given the explody problems I'm having on Minmus, I'll just put this all away until the team gets it right.

And, yes, I am attaching them to the ground via the H-key, not just dropping them.  Yes, I have the Dmagic animate plugin as well.

Edited by Apollo13

16 minutes ago, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

Hunting through the files from "stock" and from @dewdkorn6969, the "functional" changes are restoring some missing equals signs for NisseeSrfLandedAncientCraters and NisseeSrfLandedYoungCraters in the SEP_GravityScan experiment.

u sure those spaces have no effect on how ksp interprets the data? i mean all other mods + stock seem to use tabs to space out the beginning of an entry im not familiar with how cfg files work in ksp so it could be nothing just looking at whats different between his cfgs and most other cfgs.. some part.cfgs he has spaces before a module name as well maybe thats causing the explosion issue when placing some parts? idk i have next to no experience with ksp coding/scripting

1 hour ago, MaverickSawyer said:

You downloaded the last release, yeah? Not the prerelease I posted yesterday? Then that was the 1.0.5 version of the plugin that doesn't work in 1.1. Explains why reinstalling the plugin would make it work.

47 minutes ago, dewdkorn6969 said:

i think i figured out whats up with your sciencedefs.. i modified it to get rid of all trailing white spaces and replaced the spaces you inserted before entries with tabs and i fixed a few missing ='s you were missing and some missing spaces before ='s...not sure which one of those fixed the issue but i posted it on my dropbox if you want to compare it or test it... to clarify i was having the issue with duplicate science defs ids and it breaking the right click menu with some science experiments like the ones from sounding rockets

https://www.dropbox.com/s/elpkm8olfoixjsg/ScienceDefs.cfg?dl=0

39 minutes ago, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

Hunting through the files from "stock" and from @dewdkorn6969, the "functional" changes are restoring some missing equals signs for NisseeSrfLandedAncientCraters and NisseeSrfLandedYoungCraters in the SEP_GravityScan experiment.

16 minutes ago, dewdkorn6969 said:

u sure those spaces have no effect on how ksp interprets the data? i mean all other mods + stock seem to use tabs to space out the beginning of an entry im not familiar with how cfg files work in ksp so it could be nothing just looking at whats different between his cfgs and most other cfgs.. some part.cfgs he has spaces before a module name as well maybe thats causing the explosion issue when placing some parts? idk i have next to no experience with ksp coding/scripting

In my experience, whitespace usually doesn't matter for most coding/scripting. It's just to make the code more readable.

@dewdkorn6969 @Kerbas_ad_astra thanks for catching that! My eyes glaze over when I read all those sciencedefs (why I don't write them) and that's why I didn't notice it. That is likely why the gravimeter is broken.

47 minutes ago, Mechtech said:

question! some of the science experiments explode on setup. this is very irritating, since I shipped the dang things to Duna (and a Kerbal to set them up) and yeah. little help?

30 minutes ago, Apollo13 said:

Same problem here.  I was looking forward to this mod (I previously used Munar Experiment Package).  But, given the explody problems I'm having on Minmus, I'll just put this all away until the team gets it right.

And, yes, I am attaching them to the ground via the H-key, not just dropping them.  Yes, I have the Dmagic animate plugin as well.

I tried testing them tonight in 1.1.1 The parts basically don't actually attach to the ground. They just sit there. I pulled my hair out for several hours trying to figure out why it wouldn't work, so for now I'm shelving the update until the 1.1.1 dust settles and I can take another look at what might be wrong with the KIS/KAS configs. Sorry for not 'getting it right'. I tried.

19 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

You downloaded the last release, yeah? Not the prerelease I posted yesterday? Then that was the 1.0.5 version of the plugin that doesn't work in 1.1. Explains why reinstalling the plugin would make it work.

In my experience, whitespace usually doesn't matter for most coding/scripting. It's just to make the code more readable.

@dewdkorn6969 @Kerbas_ad_astra thanks for catching that! My eyes glaze over when I read all those sciencedefs (why I don't write them) and that's why I didn't notice it. That is likely why the gravimeter is broken.

I tried testing them tonight in 1.1.1 The parts basically don't actually attach to the ground. They just sit there. I pulled my hair out for several hours trying to figure out why it wouldn't work, so for now I'm shelving the update until the 1.1.1 dust settles and I can take another look at what might be wrong with the KIS/KAS configs. Sorry for not 'getting it right'. I tried.

Yeah, I had the latest release from the GitHub.

Re: attachment issues: I had no problems with it. Granted bolting some other stuff together caused some issues, but that's not germane to the conversation here. :wink:

Side note: I've had the battery/cable hub pop loose from time to time with both end sockets occupied. Perhaps there's a clipping issue with the plugs ad the ground?

Just now, MaverickSawyer said:

Yeah, I had the latest release from the GitHub.

Re: attachment issues: I had no problems with it. Granted bolting some other stuff together caused some issues, but that's not germane to the conversation here. :wink:

Side note: I've had the battery/cable hub pop loose from time to time with both end sockets occupied. Perhaps there's a clipping issue with the plugs ad the ground?

As far as I can tell the parts are not actually attaching to the ground, it's the same as if you had just dropped them. For some spots that makes them just sit. Some spots cause krakens. Most spots make them drop through the ground and explode.

I will try and fix it tomorrow. It's late here and I don't have further answers.

@CobaltWolf, I don't believe that exploding parts dropped/attached to the surface is a SEP problem.  We have seen other parts explode as well, even stock parts.  Squad made a bad design and implementation decision years ago concerning the surface, and they've been trying to fix it ever since; they have had little to no success.  Look at the BugTracker for the pre-release.  There are many example of legs simply exploding, even when not the active vessel.  Just today, a Kerbal on EVA on the Mun bumped into the leg of the lander.  The leg exploded.

Bottom line: don't wear yourself out trying to fix this.  If you can find a workaround Squad's inability to address the basic problem, then great.  That would be appreciated.

@OP, you may want to make AKI-S Storage Locker part lighter, since KIS supplied SC-62 come in the same science node, with the same price tag and the same mass, but having 250 liters more capacity.
It would be also cool if it would have realistic-ish capacity, since a 1mx0.5m part has 1500l of capacity (that's some kool kerbal space bending) and stock KIS storage box (SC-62) packs a reasonable 1000l into 1mx1m space.
Now I am not all into realism and such, but basing mod on KIS that tries to keep it semi-realistic I just expect it to keep the same attitude. (Sorry if it sounds harsh, I've never learned how to sugarcoat in english)

5 hours ago, Apollo13 said:

@CobaltWolf, I don't believe that exploding parts dropped/attached to the surface is a SEP problem.  We have seen other parts explode as well, even stock parts.  Squad made a bad design and implementation decision years ago concerning the surface, and they've been trying to fix it ever since; they have had little to no success.  Look at the BugTracker for the pre-release.  There are many example of legs simply exploding, even when not the active vessel.  Just today, a Kerbal on EVA on the Mun bumped into the leg of the lander.  The leg exploded.

Bottom line: don't wear yourself out trying to fix this.  If you can find a workaround Squad's inability to address the basic problem, then great.  That would be appreciated.

Apologies for the tone. I was pretty frustrated to find it not working. I have some leads on why stuff might not be working right, and I will sit down some time soon and figure them out. It'll take a bit but I think by the end of the weekend I'll have everything working for y'all.

4 hours ago, Ja222 said:

@OP, you may want to make AKI-S Storage Locker part lighter, since KIS supplied SC-62 come in the same science node, with the same price tag and the same mass, but having 250 liters more capacity.
It would be also cool if it would have realistic-ish capacity, since a 1mx0.5m part has 1500l of capacity (that's some kool kerbal space bending) and stock KIS storage box (SC-62) packs a reasonable 1000l into 1mx1m space.
Now I am not all into realism and such, but basing mod on KIS that tries to keep it semi-realistic I just expect it to keep the same attitude. (Sorry if it sounds harsh, I've never learned how to sugarcoat in english)

Noted. I'll talk to @AlbertKermin about it. I remember discussing it and deciding to make it slightly OP for its size because it cannot be removed from the craft.

EDIT: It is also REALLY hard to test stuff when I crash every 2-3 minutes in game... after one such crash, I loaded back in to find this:

Y4WV4UH.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

30 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Apologies for the tone. I was pretty frustrated to find it not working. I have some leads on why stuff might not be working right, and I will sit down some time soon and figure them out. It'll take a bit but I think by the end of the weekend I'll have everything working for y'all.

Noted. I'll talk to @AlbertKermin about it. I remember discussing it and deciding to make it slightly OP for its size because it cannot be removed from the craft.

EDIT: It is also REALLY hard to test stuff when I crash every 2-3 minutes in game... after one such crash, I loaded back in to find this:

Y4WV4UH.png

LOL!!!! The look on his face says it all, dont it. Thanks for that. Made my day!

CM

Since 1.1.1 introduced some part related changes I suggest you delete the part database cfg in the KSP main directory as well as all the module manager generated cache files in the gamedata subdirectory. That might help, I do this anytime I change or update a mod or a KSP update happens since they can become corrupted or are not updated correctly under certain circumstances and since they get auto-generated upon gamestart it's a no brainer to be safe on that side of things.

5 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

On a sidenote, I believe with unity 5 the colliders changed, maybe check with the KIS/KAS folks what they needed to change to get the ground pylons attachable in 1.1. ?  (Since capsule hatches now need a box collider, maybe its the same thing here?)

Thanks for maintaining this essential mod :)

9 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Y4WV4UH.png

Let me finish that for you:

PEIXj1t.png

you have it hooked up? make sure to check, I've had the things not work because I thought it was plugged in but the plug was just kinda sitting there.

also, haha, I just realized I literally just asked Tech Support Question #3, "Is it plugged in?"

1 hour ago, Bombaatu said:

Didn't know if this was already reported, but I have an issue where the GM7 Surface Gravimeter does nothing. The other experiments work, but there is no science and no error message from this particular one.

2 minutes ago, Mechtech said:

you have it hooked up? make sure to check, I've had the things not work because I thought it was plugged in but the plug was just kinda sitting there.

also, haha, I just realized I literally just asked Tech Support Question #3, "Is it plugged in?"

Yeah, that's a known issue. I've already fixed a couple things on the gravimeter but it still isn't working. I'm looking into it more. :)

Sorry everyone, but I'm still waiting for the dust to settle from 1.1.x. I am still getting constant crashes, even on a clean stock install, so it's a pain to sort stuff out right now. I might start working on more experiments. I still need to do the camera, the astronomy unit, and a bunch of other stuff. As I recently told @AlbertKermin my general plan is to have all the SEP stuff done more or less around the same time that I finish the LEM parts for BDB.

neat. don't feel too stressed, we can wait a little- those models are top-notch and the idea is great- in no small part as it encourages me to actually send Kerbals to different places rather than spamming probes at everything.

which generally seuges into "I should set up a base here for further missions" and we all know how that goes.