[24.2] Karbonite Ongoing Dev and Discussion

RoverDude

Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?

• Row 1
    • Row 2
    • Row 3
    • Row 4
    • Row 5
    • Row 6

I tested it last night, only to find out I've forgotten how to build a rocket! Couldn't even get a mining rig into orbit, much less to the Mun. But from what I did get to test... Detection seems to work, just like KSPI's UF4 and Th4... Extraction and Convertion both seem to work just fine. they seem to consume very little EC, I was able to run extractor and converter outputting LF/OX and Mono all with just 4 RTGs.

Firing test of future Ka fueled atmospheric engine. turn up your volume. :D

wow amaizing

i wonder one think abot landing crane + drill + engine wil be any way to drill be more off center while drilling? its clearly Estetical becouse mounting engine under the drill makes drill clipping in it... a litlle bit bud idea is avesome we could buildrealy compackt lander Karbonite-powered and scope.. is awesome idea and look al parts are just elegant nice choose of colours

Edited by sober667

Well I remade the generator, that first one was a tad shameful even for a first go. Main changes: Less awful textures (no more flat textures), better model overall (less sharp angles), an animation (coils in the middle spin)

Very nice! huge improvement. :) You can do a little more very quickly with the textures. Look at the screen shot you posted and compare the tank's texture just below. The pearly effects in the white and red areas should be much less pronounced, barely visible at all. The wide bands on the top and bottom should be darker. The discolored metallic effect is very nice, but again, more subtle. And for similar triangle counts, you can put less divisions on the yellow rings, average Squad cylinder is 24 divisions from what I hear. You are probably pushing 30 to 40. Use more detail in the "Start" or "Emergency Stop" button... like an actual button instead of texture, a protective lid/cap, hinges on the cap. etc.

Just curious, but will any new extraction/conversion/storage parts make it into the initial release? The addition of new engines and the like are cool and all, but the options for drills, and conversion/storage tanks is still extremely limited. Of course I ask knowing full well I lack the knowledge of how to make these things so I am unable to help. I was just curious.

The FL-T800-sized 1.25m tank is pretty much done, could probably finish one more part before this cutoff time, if that's tonight. Would people like a bulky radial drill or the 1.25m converter?

The FL-T800-sized 1.25m tank is pretty much done, could probably finish one more part before this cutoff time, if that's tonight. Would people like a bulky radial drill or the 1.25m converter?

Personally, I'm good either way. From memory though, I have seen way more people in this thread asking for radial drills than anyone asking for smaller converters. If either are possible in the time frame, I'd probably shoot for the drill.

Personally, I'm good either way. From memory though, I have seen way more people in this thread asking for radial drills than anyone asking for smaller converters. If either are possible in the time frame, I'd probably shoot for the drill.

I'll take either, go with what the rest of the gang wants :)

We can alo sneak in parts before release, final test is more to make sure we have all of the core mechanics tested

And thanks again!

Ok, I'll go for the drill then. Should be able to get it done... I have two other 1.25m tanks modeled but not unwrapped - I'll post pictures later today. Might be able to sneak them in by Sunday.

A radial drill please. :)

I couldnt program a dot or anything, and I cant draw very good either, but im kinda good at coming up with ideas so I could probably make suggestions and stuff, like a drill for planes would be nice. :)

also, are you guys like releasing a dev version every night with what youve done so far?

*shrug* I was just creating an F119 like turbofan, thought I should give here XD

It would be a nice addition. I was looking at that F119 while figuring out what air engines I might model. Opted for a rolls-royce instead. My stack turbofan is pretty archaic looking. Another stack mount engine would be cool.

You can always release it on you own in addition to it being part of Ka part pack. Ka's license doesn't restrict any of that.

This one is inline though and I think it looks bad. I'm not done yet. Once I import it, I will see how it actually looks. I make most of the parts that I use so I just share them at this moment I don't plan to release my personal pack but maybe soon.

I'm pondering if mining a solid (as opposed to a gas) is viable?

Could you, for instance, spawn actual parts on the surface of planets and moons, representing deposits of Karbonite, which can be mined by drill or even explosives into smaller, portable chunks?

The deposits could be single parts which spawn rocks (very small asteroids, already in the game) as they receive damage, or drills can latch directly onto them and impart a 'damage' resource, or (probably less likely for performance reasons) multiple parts which can be broken apart.

I'm sure more than one pyromaniac will come up with SRB mining...the idea of underestimating how much TNT you're using and destroying half your mining base sounds fun to me :-)

This would tie in neatly with some custom contracts.

Quick question, should I be able to mine karbonite from the edge of the atmosphere using the scoop?

Not in the current release. In the next release, yes (there will be a part swap with the current scoop being our particle collector and the more aerodynamic scoop being atmospheric)

I'm pondering if mining a solid (as opposed to a gas) is viable?

Could you, for instance, spawn actual parts on the surface of planets and moons, representing deposits of Karbonite, which can be mined by drill or even explosives into smaller, portable chunks?

The deposits could be single parts which spawn rocks (very small asteroids, already in the game) as they receive damage, or drills can latch directly onto them and impart a 'damage' resource, or (probably less likely for performance reasons) multiple parts which can be broken apart.

I'm sure more than one pyromaniac will come up with SRB mining...the idea of underestimating how much TNT you're using and destroying half your mining base sounds fun to me :-)

This would tie in neatly with some custom contracts.

Well outside the bounds of ORS, but always something someone can add in :)

got a problem today with Karbonite (i have 0.0.7)

[LOG 18:08:26.033] AssemblyLoader: KSPAssembly 'OpenResourceSystem' V1.1
[LOG 18:08:26.112] AssemblyLoader: Loading assemblies
[ERR 18:08:26.938] AssemblyLoader: Exception loading 'SCANsatKethane': System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.
at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)
at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at AssemblyLoader.LoadAssemblies () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Additional information about this exception:

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'SCANsatKethane.SCANsatKethane' from assembly 'SCANsatKethane, Version=1.0.6.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.
[ERR 18:08:26.958] AssemblyLoader: Exception loading 'TweakScale_ModularFuelTanks': System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'modularFuelTanks, Version=5.0.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.
File name: 'modularFuelTanks, Version=5.0.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'
[LOG 18:08:26.018] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at E:\spiele\KSP_win24_2\GameData\UmbraSpaceIndustries\Karbonite\OpenResourceSystem_1_1_1_USI.dll

This leads to:

[LOG 18:31:07.751] numWeightedKerbals: 6
[LOG 18:31:07.751] numWeightedKerbals: 7.35
[LOG 18:31:07.752] WorkSpaceKerbalRatio: 1.479167
[LOG 18:31:07.752] WorkUnits: 10.87187
[LOG 18:31:07.753] eff: 1.087188
[EXC 18:31:07.754] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 18:31:07.755] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 18:31:07.756] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 18:31:07.757] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

The NullRef a couple thousands lines, everytime you switch vehicle.It seems the NullRef are from MKS as there are more NullRef inbetween. Will post there the complete log.

got a problem today with Karbonite (i have 0.0.7)

[LOG 18:08:26.033] AssemblyLoader: KSPAssembly 'OpenResourceSystem' V1.1
[LOG 18:08:26.112] AssemblyLoader: Loading assemblies
[ERR 18:08:26.938] AssemblyLoader: Exception loading 'SCANsatKethane': System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'SCANsatKethane.SCANsatKethane' from assembly 'SCANsatKethane, Version=1.0.6.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.
[ERR 18:08:26.958] AssemblyLoader: Exception loading 'TweakScale_ModularFuelTanks': System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'modularFuelTanks, Version=5.0.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.
File name: 'modularFuelTanks, Version=5.0.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'
[LOG 18:08:26.018] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at E:\spiele\KSP_win24_2\GameData\UmbraSpaceIndustries\Karbonite\OpenResourceSystem_1_1_1_USI.dll

This leads to:

[LOG 18:31:07.751] numWeightedKerbals: 6
[LOG 18:31:07.751] numWeightedKerbals: 7.35
[LOG 18:31:07.752] WorkSpaceKerbalRatio: 1.479167
[LOG 18:31:07.752] WorkUnits: 10.87187
[LOG 18:31:07.753] eff: 1.087188
[EXC 18:31:07.754] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 18:31:07.755] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 18:31:07.756] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 18:31:07.757] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

The NullRef a couple thousands lines, everytime you switch vehicle.It seems the NullRef are from MKS as there are more NullRef inbetween. Will post there the complete log.

Looks out of date. If you use MKS and Karbonite, make sure you completely delete OpenResourceSystems and UmbraSpaceIndustries. Then reinstall the mods. The ORS I use is the same one as KSPIO-Experimental to avoid conflicts, etc.

I feel like an a-hole for criticizing, but I would be remiss if I didn't say something about those propeller blades. I can't fathom why they're that way, why they're mated to a jumbo jet engine, or what would prompt such a design decision. *disbelief.GIF*

I feel like an a-hole for criticizing, but I would be remiss if I didn't say something about those propeller blades. I can't fathom why they're that way, why they're mated to a jumbo jet engine, or what would prompt such a design decision. *disbelief.GIF*

Ask NASA ;)

Test%20Prop.jpg

I guess you could ask an aircraft engineer.

http://www.enviro-live.com/images/stories/ScienceTech/open%20rotor%20engine.gif

They are a real thing

I stand corrected! My apologies. I didn't know how to raise my eyebrows without coming off like a jerk, so I will humbly eat my words! :)

No worries at all! I had never heard of counter rotating prop engines either till I saw one in this thread :D