[WIP] KERES - Stockalike launch vehicle and spacecraft mod

Borklund

I'd advise you to follow your own direction, rather than copying someone else's.

I know, but what with realistic aerodynamics, realistic thrust scaling in atmosphere, reentry heat, resources, etc. in 1.0, I'd have to rework everything. That, and I have NO idea how to code in C# or use blender, so I could use the time to learn.

• 1 month later...

To misquote Mark Twain: "Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated"

I'm back! Well, sort of. I could say that I have been busy with other stuff but the truth is that I just sort of lost interest in KSP. With the release 1.0 I'm slowly rediscovering my interest in playing KSP and - most importantly for this thread - making mods for KSP. The plan in the OP remains unchanged but I should say that I am not making any promises that I will actually finish the mod. The most likely outcome is that I disappear again in a while, perhaps never to be seen again. I am after all going to university this autumn, so that is a distinct possibility.

But while I'm here and we are operating under the assumption that I get something done and released, here's an update in pictoral form:

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's my new CST-100/Orion influenced crew capsule design. I'm calling it the KST-70.

zp7Mbp5l.jpg

Business end of the KST-70. Panels attach to the bottom of the capsule and fold out 180 degrees.

USCWl8ul.jpg

Launch configuration. Note the pusher launch abort system used on the real CST-100 and also Dragon V2. Unlike traditional LAS systems, it does not require a tower and separation event. Instead the same thrusters used to manuever in space are used (deeply throttled) for launch abort.

wZqIf3Vl.jpg

This is essentially what will be in the first release. The spacecraft and service module, an interstage fairing, a 3.75m fuel tank and engine part (inspired by ULA's Vulcan), a single part 1.875m strap-on liquid rocket booster and a nose cone.

jBisgCyl.jpg

Same launch vehicle with a 4m fairing. Not sure if clamshell KW Rocketry type fairings work in 1.0 or not, it's not something I have looked into a great deal yet. Consider that part notional for now.

o4oVomXl.jpg

I am now 100% done modeling. This will (hopefully) be the last post featuring untextured, grey models. Next time I post I will have completed UV mapping all of the parts featured in in the pictures above, and animating the solar panel.

Nice! :)

Welcome back! I know how you feel, I was a little burnt out for the last six months myself. KSP 1.0 should provide a stable base for development at least - get as much as you can out there before uni hits. That can be pretty destructive when it comes to your free time.

What are you planning on studying?

• 2 weeks later...
Same launch vehicle with a 4m fairing. Not sure if clamshell KW Rocketry type fairings work in 1.0 or not, it's not something I have looked into a great deal yet. Consider that part notional for now.

I am now 100% done modeling. This will (hopefully) be the last post featuring untextured, grey models. Next time I post I will have completed UV mapping all of the parts featured in in the pictures above, and animating the solar panel.

Traditional fixed clamshell fairings do not work... yet. It has something to do with the way aerodynamic occlusion interacts with... something or other, but some dudes are on the case. KWR itself has migrated to the stock fairing construction system for its post-1.0 update. Also, welcome back! New stuff looks purty.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.