[WIP] KERES - Stockalike launch vehicle and spacecraft mod

Borklund

Any chance of a 2m upper stage? Like in this proposal:

http://www.russianspaceweb.com/sodruzhestvo.html

Also, 4x main stage engine cluster and other 2m lifter engine variants, like in this proposal:

http://www.russianspaceweb.com/stk.html

Then there's of course Energia itself and it's derivatives, Vulkan and Energia-M. As for the pods, you could either go with tried and true PTK-NP style design (would go well with those rockets) or try something more unique, perhaps LOK/LEK-inspired.

http://www.cardmodels-r.narod.ru/html/LOK-e.htm

http://www.astronautix.com/graphics/l/lekclr.jpg

I love the Energia series. It was the last "superrocket", was very well thought out and quite modular. And the best thing is, it was mostly white-gray, which is conveniently "stock-alike" if you don't go for a photorealistic model.

Edited by Guest

Thanks Bomoo, Daishi and Cydonian Monk!

Looks really great, even though it's not textured yet. Any chance that you'll make a 2m->1.875m adapter for use with HGR?

Thanks! I'm not sure about the adapter. Maybe? Or maybe I'll rethink the 2m scale and go with 1.875m instead. Like I said, I'm not sure yet. My thinking right now is to include just the parts for a complete 3.75m cargo launch vehicle with the 2m SLRB and matching nose cones (also in 3.75m dia.) for the initial release, then add the 2.5m spacecraft and matching 3.75m to 2.5m fairing adapter (I might do an iCPS upper stage equivalent, or I might not) and then finally add 2.5m parts and maybe 1.875m/2m first stage parts. I don't want to make too many parts for the smaller diameters, especially not parts that aren't meant as first or booster stages, because the idea is that the launch vehicle parts are going to support all the exploration systems I plan on making, which necessitate heavy to super heavy lift launch vehicles, or at the very least a medium lift launch vehicle if you want to do it in stages and/or launch departure stages empty and do on-orbit prop depots and refueling etc.

Any chance of a 2m upper stage? Like in this proposal:

http://www.russianspaceweb.com/sodruzhestvo.html

Also, 4x main stage engine cluster and other 2m lifter engine variants, like in this proposal:

http://www.russianspaceweb.com/stk.html

Then there's of course Energia itself and it's derivatives, Vulkan and Energia-M. As for the pods, you could either go with tried and true PTK-NP style design (would go well with those rockets) or try something more unique, perhaps LOK/LEK-inspired.

http://www.cardmodels-r.narod.ru/html/LOK-e.htm

http://www.astronautix.com/graphics/l/lekclr.jpg

I love the Energia series. It was the last "superrocket", was very well thought out and quite modular. And the best thing is, it was mostly white-gray, which is conveniently "stock-alike" if you don't go for a photorealistic model.

2m upper stage parts: see above. I like the 4x main stage engine cluster and other 2m lifter engine variants you linked to. The various Russian HLV proposals have been a major inspiration for sure and I really like the aesthetic of a lot of them. That said I want a nice balance between variation, modularity and a moderate/not insanely high part count. Having 3-4 different engine parts for each diameter is going to rub up against the third category, but I'll think about it. As for the spacecraft I really, really don't like the look of older Russian (Soviet) spacecraft or things like LOK/LEK. I'm going to try the PTK-NP style design for now. As far as texture and looks are concerned I'm going to go for stockalike more than photorealistic. My current thinking is white or greyish white colour, kinda like SLS but without the black tiling and text and other US/NASA specific insignia. I like the ridges (not sure if that's the right word) that are visible on the intertank structure and the wall segments on both ends of the fuel tanks. When I get around to creating textures I'll do a few different variations and post them and then you guys can help me decide as I'm not really sure yet.

Nice good series . please build for refund parachutes module to set on top a side roket please.

I'm not sure what you mean by building for refund parachutes module. I assume you're referring to DebRefund? You just have to stick a stock parachute on the side of the booster, or use a RealChute nose cone parachute part, although they wouldn't be to scale. I might use the RealChute module and put built-in chutes in all the nose cones, I haven't really thought about it yet.

--

Nothing new to show this time as I have been busy with other things. More to come later!

Edited by Borklund

Thanks Cpt. Kipard! Your Skylon looks bleedin' amazing.

--

Render time!

Slight improvement to the single engine part of the different multi-engined 3.75m engine parts. From left to right: Old model, new model, new model with a differently shaped mounting plate:

dtLSyRPl.jpg

And mounted on the five engine part:

udbUskjl.jpg

It's between #2 and #3, but I'm not sure yet. Leaning towards #3 at the moment, because of the slightly lower profile (the engine housings are already quite large). I'm going to create a four engine SLS-like engine part tomorrow and put together a collage with the two different options on all three engine parts but if anyone out there already have a preference I'd like to hear it (and why).

Edited by Borklund

Will all of these parts have standard diameters, so they can be used with other mods?

Yes, with the possible exception of the 1.875m or 2m strap-on liquid rocket booster I showed off before, all of the parts will be standard diameters, 2.5m or 3.75m. If you're talking about the single engine it could be adapted to fit under a 1.25m tank but I haven't planned on doing that. They're all going to be mounted in sets of 3, 4 and 5 respectively on three different single parts, like the stock ARM SLS-like engine part.

Edited by Borklund

It's between #2 and #3, but I'm not sure yet. Leaning towards #3 at the moment, because of the slightly lower profile (the engine housings are already quite large). I'm going to create a four engine SLS-like engine part tomorrow and put together a collage with the two different options on all three engine parts but if anyone out there already have a preference I'd like to hear it (and why).

Think I like #2 more. It seems to me that the conical plate flows better, visually, with the rest of the engine mount. Smoother transition between the shapes. #3 is perhaps more functional with the lower profile but I feel there's a too-abrupt change between the cluster shroud and the nozzles. And I'm not sure about the torus to begin with. Maybe a half-sphere? But even then I think the truncated cone of #2 fits the cluster shroud better.

Suggestion/Idea: Can you make your engines modular, like KOSMOS URM fueltanks, but more separated. Complex models from many little subparts (nozzles, tubes, pumps and other details) with simple textures (like old THSS mod) will allows make any-style engines (American-, Russian- or Kerbalstyle).

Thanks everyone!

When we'll see at least beta release of this precious mod? :rolleyes:

wasmic already sort of answered this for me; it'll be a while. I've been creating hard surface 3d models for about a decade now but I have never bothered to learn how to create textures, mostly because I've always had someone else do it for me. This time I'm going to try to learn how to do it myself. This project is also low down on a list of things I want or have to do each day. I very much want to complete this project I've started but just know it's going to take some time.

Suggestion/Idea: Can you make your engines modular, like KOSMOS URM fueltanks, but more separated. Complex models from many little subparts (nozzles, tubes, pumps and other details) with simple textures (like old THSS mod) will allows make any-style engines (American-, Russian- or Kerbalstyle).

I don't know exactly what you mean, but the fuel tanks and engine parts I'm making are going to be more or less similar to how stock fuel tanks and engines work and look in terms of like, modularity and functionality, if that makes sense?

If I may, I'd like to share something regarding texturing that I've noticed many modders miss about the stock-alike aesthetic, and that is the matte finish and the subtle weathering effects on all (well, most) stock parts. I've seen stockalike parts that are way too glossy (normal maps or something, yeah?) or that look like plastic toys because no weathering has been applied. I come from more of a miniatures painting background than a 3D sculpting/texturing one, so please excuse my ignorance of the correct terms used in 3D work.

I know what you're getting at Bomoo and that is something that I am aware of. I'm going to start creating textures soon, I just have to refine some of the 3d models some more. As always, I'm going to post my work and then you can tell me if I'm getting it right or not.

I know what you're getting at Bomoo and that is something that I am aware of. I'm going to start creating textures soon, I just have to refine some of the 3d models some more. As always, I'm going to post my work and then you can tell me if I'm getting it right or not.

I'm sure it'll be great. The models already look FANTASTIC. I'm more than a little stoked about this mod. Keep up the good work.

I'm sure it'll be great. The models already look FANTASTIC. I'm more than a little stoked about this mod. Keep up the good work.

I was going to say the same thing. Keep up the excellent work, man.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.