Am I the first one to circumnavigate Kerbin by land?

Wooks

Grand tour by rover and skycrane?

it should be possible to take an rover around Kerbin by itself. use radial intakes on bottom and a jet engine let you cross water, you might need refueling underway, but luckily the far longest water crossing will be from the peninsula east of space center to the east continent, you also have some island jumping getting from the east continent to the one with the huge desert and a small strait from the desert and back to the spaceport continent so you don't have to carry much fuel after the long crossing.

Congratulations on finishing your epic quest, Wooks. I really liked to follow your series on YouTube. Always relaxing with a cup of tea to get my head clear from work. :)

Now who circumnavigates Laythe in a boat made out of a class c asteroid. :P

did you drop a probe in the ocean during the sea voyage? that made me chuckle

I had 4 probe cores attached to the bottom of the seaplane/hoverboat to drop them in the ocean to create a breadcrumb trail, but I forgot like a tool. That probe is the refueling unit I used to refill the seaplane mid-journey.

I will now become the first to circumnavigate kerbin... WITH AN AMPHIBIOUS VEHICLE!

Too late man, those of us who crossed by sea have already done that XD sort of a requirement, due to the face that the oceans don't meet up to form a contiguous circumnavigation route. You have to cross land at some point, thus, all sea circumnavigations (and I suppose some land circumnavigations as well lol) must be amphibious!

I want to be the first to circumnavigate Kerbin by land with only one vehicle and one Kerbal, not the way Wooks did it (I already did a sea circumnavigation, so why not?). Anybody want to try and beat me to it? I'm already caught up with other games, so I won't be able to start for a while. Now's your chance!

... I want to be the first to circumnavigate Kerbin by land with only one vehicle and one Kerbal, not the way Wooks did it (I already did a sea circumnavigation, so why not?). Anybody want to try and beat me to it? I'm already caught up with other games, so I won't be able to start for a while. Now's your chance!

Crossing the ocean westward over the equatorial line it was the easiest part of the whole trip by far. The best part of boat trips is that you don't have to deal with bugs on the terrain, you just point your vessel in the direction you want, start the engines and voilá, you can even automate the journey using mechjeb if you want to go with mods.

Now terrain on KSP is another beast, I had rovers trip over what seemed to be the most simple terrain. I discovered the hard way that there are invisible seams that run all over the landmasses that can make you crash or flip over, and some parts of the terrain have "inverse gravity", going up in what seems to be a downhill. Every kilometer of the journey was babysitted by me to avoid constant disasters, you just can't go Alt+W and leave the rover unatended.

Terrain is unpredictable and it may destroy your rover if you are not careful enough.

Edited by Wooks

Wow, first time I see this, its the final episode. Must lurk the forums better next time. I did once entertained the idea of roving around the Kerbin, but I never really got around to do anything about it. I was planning to make a camper van for Jeb, and name the quest Jeb's holiday. I only ever got as far as building the vehicle though...

screenshot11_zps44572721.jpg~original

This quest shows incredible dedication your part, Congrats.

Forget one cookie, take the entire jar.

To earn true respect, circumnavigate Jool by balloon!

Trivial: you obiously need hooliganlab and firespitter or another propeller mod.

Test on Kerbin, launch to Jool, inflate balloon at suitable height, start engine, go to sleep, work or school and check then you come home.

Im a Rover kind of guy, and this is something Ive wanted to do! However, I was planning on doing it without refueling. Using a jet rover with electric backup. I have roved several hundred km before, so I know the peculiarities.

Nice job! ;)

And I thought I was good driving a rover to the North Pole but all the way round kerbin but congrats all the way round but I have a challenge go all the way round the world with the life support mod (life support mod is where your kerbal's need food and water and air to live! So you have to pack food so a lot harder)46a1ff_origin.jpg

My land rover

Edited by CG_Kerbin

I have a challenge go all the way round the world with the life support mod (life support mod is where your kerbal's need food and water and air to live! So you have to pack food so a lot harder)

I was just thinking about this. However you need to take into account that the air all around kerbin is breathable, presumably there is drinking water all around, and you could forage/harvest food from the environment... and electricity is not vital for survival, since your life is not dependent on complicated machinery...

I was just thinking about this. However you need to take into account that the air all around kerbin is breathable, presumably there is drinking water all around, and you could forage/harvest food from the environment... and electricity is not vital for survival, since your life is not dependent on complicated machinery...

Yes the air is all around but it would make it more exciting and more to do than just press w and go forward

Let's say, for the sake of the conversation, that we are going to do this challenge in real life. How are you going to maintain yourself in the Polar Caps without food? Crossing a desert without water? How and where are you going to refuel your vehicles? How are you going to repair your vehicle if it breaks in the middle of nowhere?

Take for example this passage from the Transglobe Expedition, a real life North/South circumnavigation of the earth, where they explain what took to cross the Sahara desert by land:

- For crossing the Sahara still has its problems; however many people do it and however often, the heat does not get less, the sandstorms do not diminish in ferocity and frequency, and crossing national boundaries becomes more difficult, not easier. Moreover, Ran and his team were forced by the demands of their scientific programme to stray frequently from the beaten track, and even the Landrovers (for whose performance they are full of praise) occasionally bogged axle-deep in the sand. Unloading to lighten them, digging and towing them out and then re-loading them in temperatures often well over 100 degrees Farenheit (38°C) could not have been amusing. -

globe.gif

Link to the expedition website: http://www.transglobe-expedition.org/page/the-expedition

It took four months to cross the Sahara. It took a year and a half to cross the South Pole! Mind yourself without life support in that enviroment for that period.

A journey like this in real life is dependant on stored food and water, medicines, instruments, tools to repair your vehicles, so I think using life support mods in KSP for a circumnavigation challenge is a good idea if you want to make it harder.

Edited by Wooks

Congratulations on finishing your epic quest, Wooks. I really liked to follow your series on YouTube. Always relaxing with a cup of tea to get my head clear from work. :)

Now who circumnavigates Laythe in a boat made out of a class c asteroid. :P

Thank you dude, nice to know you enjoyed it, stay tuned.

I am in the process of flying an airship around Kerbin. I am using volumetric clouds, plus the retro airship from Hooligan Labs which has a ceiling of about 5000m (just, as it turns out, above the level of the cloud layer). It makes mountain flying "exciting."

My hats off to you for a difficult job well done!

Like Overfloater said, I already circumnavigated Eve.

How much time it took to do the actual circumnavigation? Eve has an ecuatorial radius of 700 km, 100 bigger than Kerbin, that's a pretty impressive feat.

Let's say, for the sake of the conversation, that we are going to do this challenge in real life. How are you going to maintain yourself in the Polar Caps without food? Crossing a desert without water? How and where are you going to refuel your vehicles? How are you going to repair your vehicle if it breaks in the middle of nowhere?

Take for example this passage from the Transglobe Expedition, a real life North/South circumnavigation of the earth, where they explain what took to cross the Sahara desert by land:

- For crossing the Sahara still has its problems; however many people do it and however often, the heat does not get less, the sandstorms do not diminish in ferocity and frequency, and crossing national boundaries becomes more difficult, not easier. Moreover, Ran and his team were forced by the demands of their scientific programme to stray frequently from the beaten track, and even the Landrovers (for whose performance they are full of praise) occasionally bogged axle-deep in the sand. Unloading to lighten them, digging and towing them out and then re-loading them in temperatures often well over 100 degrees Farenheit (38°C) could not have been amusing. -

http://www.transglobe-expedition.org/images/expedition/globe.gif

Link to the expedition website: http://www.transglobe-expedition.org/page/the-expedition

It took four months to cross the Sahara. It took a year and a half to cross the South Pole! Mind yourself without life support in that enviroment for that period.

A journey like this in real life is dependant on stored food and water, medicines, instruments, tools to repair your vehicles, so I think using life support mods in KSP for a circumnavigation challenge is a good idea if you want to make it harder.

Fair points. In that case you could argue to install the random break downs mod as well. You would have to pack all the spare toolkits as well, and since the journey time is massive, you would have lots of break downs and repair stops....

How much time it took to do the actual circumnavigation? Eve has an ecuatorial radius of 700 km, 100 bigger than Kerbin, that's a pretty impressive feat.

I know it's been a while since you asked, but the time was about like this: For most cross country driving I was able to go 2x speed, moving about 20 m/s. The total game time between the landing and reaching the start again was 26 days (24 hr Earth days.) My time was about 23 days, I guess something like 4 hours a day. Most of the time I was trying to stick to relatively low lying and not so steep terrain, so it wasn't too buggy. By far the worst terrain to drive on was at the poles, that's a morass of buggy terrain. Total distance covered was over 7,000km, which was counting up flag-to-flag distances as the crow flies, so it was actually somewhat longer.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.