[1.2.2] B9 Aerospace | Release 6.2.1 (Old Thread)

bac9

22 hours ago, Speedster159 said:

Is Active Texture Management still needed? Or would DTL be fine?

DTL is fine, but actually it will only provide a benefit if you're not already running with -force-opengl or -force-d3d11

Edited by blowfish
Replied to wrong person, sorry

4 hours ago, Nippie1995 said:

Is it possible to put cargo bays upside down (cargo bays open downwards), but still keep the black texture at the bottom?

Nope. It will going to need similar code from B9PW that allows such feature. There is few parts, like lights for example that allow texture switching, but not such option for cargo bay. That does not mean you can't create craft with cargo bay upside/down, it will only look odd, but beside that it will work properly.

6 hours ago, Nippie1995 said:

Is it possible to put cargo bays upside down (cargo bays open downwards), but still keep the black texture at the bottom?

It would require texture work, which (1) I'm not very good at and (2) I don't have access to bac9's source files anyway.  Maybe some day in the future, but not soon.

23 hours ago, blowfish said:

DTL is fine, but actually it will only provide a benefit if you're not already running with -force-opengl or -force-d3d11

How would it only benefit if I'm not running DX11? I'm looking at ways to reduce system RAM usage as I'm running about 100 mods according to CKAN, ofcourse not all of those are part mods.

1 minute ago, Speedster159 said:

How would it only benefit if I'm not running DX11? I'm looking at ways to reduce system RAM usage as I'm running about 100 mods according to CKAN, ofcourse not all of those are part mods.

You should really read the DTL thread, because it says it right there in the OP, but I'll quote it here anyway

On 12/26/2015 at 0:45 AM, rbray89 said:

DX11 and OpenGL use graphics memory first, and system memory for spillover, so if you use these graphics platforms, this will not likely show anything on system memory unless you use LOTS of part mods with big textures, or have small available graphics memory.

44 minutes ago, blowfish said:

It saves memory if you are not using -force-d3d11 or -force-opengl.

DTL saves memory in all cases, but the KIND of memory differs between graphics platforms. In DX11 and OGL, textures are stored primarily in graphics memory, so DTL has little/no impact on system memory if you have lots of graphics memory. On DX9, very little graphics memory is used, so you see a huge amount of savings when running in DX9 with DTL.

22 minutes ago, rbray89 said:

DTL saves memory in all cases, but the KIND of memory differs between graphics platforms. In DX11 and OGL, textures are stored primarily in graphics memory, so DTL has little/no impact on system memory if you have lots of graphics memory. On DX9, very little graphics memory is used, so you see a huge amount of savings when running in DX9 with DTL.

Does that mean DTL dynamicaly load textures in graphic memory if DX11 is forced ?

That would probably help with graphic cards that have small memory.
Still can't prevent CTD in cases of memory leak trough scene change and other stuff that use primary RAM for object storage (not only textures).

Just now, kcs123 said:

Does that mean DTL dynamicaly load textures in graphic memory if DX11 is forced ?

That would probably help with graphic cards that have small memory.
Still can't prevent CTD in cases of memory leak trough scene change and other stuff that use primary RAM for object storage (not only textures).

Bingo. If you had limited graphics memory (or system memory is shared with the graphics card) it comes into play more.

So, I'm pretty sure the airbrakes are cursed, but after banging my head against a few more nonsensical issues with them for a few hours, they seem to be functional again, so they'll return in the 6.0 release.

Since no one has reported any major issues, I'll try to release 6.0 in the next few days.

Which leads me to the next dilemma.  KerbalStuff is currently down ... for the second time I'm aware of.  And lately it has been slow and the original developer has lost interest in maintaining it.  In light of that, I might move the B9 repository to Github (which can integrate with CKAN - Bitbucket can't) and do all releases there.  If Kerbalstuff comes back up then I might update it but Github would be the primary download location.  Does anyone have any thoughts on/objections to this?

Edited by blowfish

um, I try downloading the pre release, but for some reason, the folders do not contain anything but the gamedata folder. I'm quite positive its supposed to contain more than this, is there a reason behind it? Adding on to this, my game refuses to load the mod at all.

Edited by Unholypens

56 minutes ago, Unholypens said:

um, I try downloading the pre release, but for some reason, the folders do not contain anything but the gamedata folder. I'm quite positive its supposed to contain more than this, is there a reason behind it? Adding on to this, my game refuses to load the mod at all.

There are things inside those GameData folders, right?  You should install those things to your existing GameData folder.  I am quite positive that the zips contain more than an empty GameData folder, otherwise they would not be multiple megabytes.

Re: refusing to load - make sure, per above, that everything is installed properly.  If you still can't load the game, then please provide your logs (instructions on how to do that are in the first link in my signature).  Logs are the only way to debug issues like this.

2 hours ago, blowfish said:

There are things inside those GameData folders, right?  You should install those things to your existing GameData folder.  I am quite positive that the zips contain more than an empty GameData folder, otherwise they would not be multiple megabytes.

Re: refusing to load - make sure, per above, that everything is installed properly.  If you still can't load the game, then please provide your logs (instructions on how to do that are in the first link in my signature).  Logs are the only way to debug issues like this.

Yeah, I got it handled, overwrote files instead of skipping, its all good now.

B9 Aerospace 6.0 is now released

Get it from Github!

NOTE: This release is potentially craft breaking from previous versions (5.x and before - if you have the prerelease already then everything should be fine)

Dependencies have changed since 5.4.0:

• Virgin Kalactic Node Toggle is no longer required
  • B9PartSwitch is now required.  It's a new plugin designed to replace Firespitter's switching capability with more functionality while being much easier to work with.
  • The HX pack no longer depends on the core pack, but it has its own dependencies: B9PartSwitch, B9AnimationModules, ModuleManager, Klockheed_Martian_Gimbal, and SmokeScreen

More Images:

Spoiler

OLqe5h8.png

K7c0XIE.png

Changelog (since 5.4.0):

Spoiler
  • Integrate bac9's beautiful new Mk1 and Mk2 parts
  • Move nearly all fuel/mesh switching to new plugin, B9PartSwitch
  • Move old Mk1/2 parts to legacy
  • Update all compatibility patches (some untested)
  • Remove fuel switching in cargo bays - there's really not that much space
  • Remove Virgin Kalactic as a dependency
  • Make HX pack independend of core
  • Pylons are now integrated into podded engines
  • Bring back the airbrakes (now functional for no apparent reason)
  • Combine textures on HL Extension B and RCS blocks
  • Remove MP_Nazari folder - it just messes with things
  • Improve thermal anims on HX HPD
  • Fix patches applying to procedural wings
  • Dependency updates
  • Many minor tweaks

License: Creative Commons BY-NC-SA 3.0 as usual

CKAN integration will be following shortly, but I have to modify the metadata so it might take a day or so.

Edited by blowfish

I just patched an issue with the legacy release.  I wouldn't normally do this, but since (1) It's only been a couple of hours (2) It's just the legacy pack, and (3) No one could have downloaded via CKAN left.  So if you need the legacy pack, please redownload.