[1.2.2] B9 Aerospace | Release 6.2.1 (Old Thread)

bac9

7 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

The T2 Solid Rocket Separation Booster got no exhaust flame, no plume at all ...

Nothing in the log, from launching until separation only 10 lines were added, nothing with issues.

Using RO, RealPlume.

This one's on RO's end, sorry.  RO patches are part of RO.

On 5/28/2016 at 9:52 AM, kcs123 said:

I managed to create working compressor/precooler for SABRE-S engine. part config is in spoiler section.

It still need more tweaking/balancing to not be overpowered, but it work in game. Compessor use air from other intakes and with cost of electrical usage it creates more air.
While active, compressor also genearate heat. Good news is that there is also built in cooler that also need electrical energy to keep everything cool.

Interesting.  I'm not sure what the justification for using EC is.

My other worry about making the precoolers actually do something is that they're only available in two form factors.  It might put some craft with rear-mounted engines in an awkward place.

4 hours ago, blowfish said:

Interesting.  I'm not sure what the justification for using EC is.

Extra power is needed to compress air, for heat exchanger, etc. For gamebalancing purposes too. To not get extra air from nothing. My consideration is that airflow comes from intakes in compessor, it is slightly hold, compressed(cooled) and then passed to engine. Due to constant airflow, more air comes in to compressor that is again compresed and so on.

For shock cone intakes and sabre intakes it have less purpose than with ram intakes and other types of intakes. Reason is that shock cone intakes have linear increase in air scooping as craft speed increases. For other types of intakes it is more useful after certain speed when scooping from intakes start to drop.

For gamebalancing reason, my biggest concern is how to limit cooling only to intakes and engines, but not other craft parts.

Whole idea still need a lot of tweaking/balancing, but it is start. Yes, due to length of sabre engine, it will look odd when it is rear mounted, but combination of engine mount, cooler, engine and intake placed somewhere near COM, it might work better. You want to mount SABRE engine closer to COM, because engine itself is heavy, to avoid COM shifting as fuel is consumed.

EDIT:

It is certainly possible to use only air intake as input resource, without EC. Currently, all things need to be tweaked to see effect in game better.
Cooling effect is more visible in game than extra air, could use only air intake as resource for cooling, leaving less air for engines (flame out sooner), but engines overheat less.

I'm divided to drop compressing effect (taking one unit of air and converting to 1.50 unit or more) and leave only cooling efect.
It is kind of hard to see in game effect does compressor do anything because air intake as resource is hidden from GUI. Can't be activated trough debug menu either, at least I don't know how.

Also, have no clue meaning of keys in curve module, how much it can have on generating resource.

Edited by kcs123

I'm struggling with finding the fuselages. For instance, I'm using the s2 reusable pod, and all I see is the "S2 fuselage adapter" there's no other fuselage part for s2 that seems to fit. Does anyone know if I'm doign something wrong?

21 minutes ago, novalus said:

I'm struggling with finding the fuselages. For instance, I'm using the s2 reusable pod, and all I see is the "S2 fuselage adapter" there's no other fuselage part for s2 that seems to fit. Does anyone know if I'm doign something wrong?

Welcome to the forums!

I'm not quite sure what parts you're talking about.  All the command pods are in the pods tab of the editor, and most of the fuselage parts are in the fuel tanks tab.  If parts are missing, you might want to re-install B9.  If that doesn't help, please read "How to get support" in my signature - it will tell you how to get KSP's log so that I can inspect it - the log usually reveals issues like this pretty quickly.

14 minutes ago, blowfish said:

Welcome to the forums!

I'm not quite sure what parts you're talking about.  All the command pods are in the pods tab of the editor, and most of the fuselage parts are in the fuel tanks tab.  If parts are missing, you might want to re-install B9.  If that doesn't help, please read "How to get support" in my signature - it will tell you how to get KSP's log so that I can inspect it - the log usually reveals issues like this pretty quickly.

Yeah looks like I didn't install correctly, everything's there now. Thanks!

53 minutes ago, novalus said:

In addition to what Blowfish just said, you could also open up the advanced filters tab in the top left corner while in the VAB/SPH and click on the manufacturer tab. All the B9 parts are under Tetragon Projects (except the Sabre S and Sabre M shock cone intakes, for some reason).

You could also type in (part of) the name of whatever part you're looking for in the search bar at the top of the screen, also in VAB/SPH. For instance, typing in "s2" should make all the S2 and S2Wide parts show up.

Still Awesome this mod is. I am using mostly the HX parts.

Only one "problem" with this (and almost all the mods) there are no XenonGas tanks at all or heavily neglected.

I think they should be in the structure type chooser list on EACH part (which has the option to change).

As well as Ore, MetalOre, Metal, RocketParts, Only LiquidFuel, and Monoprop as well as battery too.

Can you plz make it in the later updates? 

I tried to add them resources into the  B9_Aerospace_HX-Tank_Types.cfg and failed. MY creations are disappearing as soon as I get back to the space center.

Also a HX class/size Nuclear engine would be a great addition (Maybe HX ION engine too?)

5 hours ago, Ricardo79 said:

Still Awesome this mod is. I am using mostly the HX parts.

Hi Ricardo

Only one "problem" with this (and almost all the mods) there are no XenonGas tanks at all or heavily neglected.

That may be true, but given that the stock ion engine is only useful for tiny probes, I'm not sure that a variety of tanks are needed.  Especially true for HX parts, which are massive to begin with.

As well as Ore, MetalOre, Metal, RocketParts, Only LiquidFuel, and Monoprop as well as battery too.

Other than Ore, those are all from some mod that I am unaware of.  I don't like to try and support mods that I don't have experience with because I will inevitably get the balance wrong.

6 hours ago, Ricardo79 said:

I tried to add them resources into the  B9_Aerospace_HX-Tank_Types.cfg and failed. MY creations are disappearing as soon as I get back to the space center.

It should work, but you have to add it to the parts as well.  Also, I'd recommend doing it in a separate .cfg file (KSP treats them all equally).

I will be releasing a CryoTanks patch with the next version probably (I do have a bit of experience with that mod but there will still probably be balance issues in the first pass).  When that happens, you can take a look at it to figure out the best ways to implement such a thing.

6 hours ago, Ricardo79 said:

Also a HX class/size Nuclear engine would be a great addition (Maybe HX ION engine too?)

Not taking part requests right now, sorry.  The artists responsible for B9 are away doing other things at the moment.  I'm really just maintaining things, and trying to add bits of functionality where it's within the realm of my capabilities.

7 hours ago, blowfish said:

Hi Blowfish.

Thank you for the fast reply.

The given resources are from extraplanetary launchpad. (I am almost certain you know that :D )

"It should work, but you have to add it to the parts as well "  - Did that and failed. Every time I switched back to those crafts in space only the root module was in place.

Since then I just redownloaded your work and it is working fine now. Without that functionality of course.

"I will be releasing a CryoTanks patch with the next version probably "

I will definitely look into that when Ckan wanna update the mod. Thank you.

For the nuclear engine yesterday I wasn't aware of that huge ass HX engine has a built in plasma mode which has simillar 800-ish ISP. So that "request" is obsolete anyways :D

I did some Sci-FION parts in many different stock sizes some years ago. They were "OP" compared to the stock ones and worked fine with my magnetic generators (simillar to the B9 OP gen).

At that time the game had only like 2 tanks for xenon :D and I really didn't want to remodel every kind of tanks nor copydouble them to have xenon as a resource.

Anyway I seized the mod development for the reason no other modmakers included xenon tanks, so maybe the option present is not hurt but encourages others to do better (futuristic/sci-fi-ish) Ion engines.

It is just a simple option to have if you adding new resources to this great mod anyways. You know better this mod than me so if you do it that will work for sure :D But this is just an "idea" I have.

Thank god you are here to maintain this awesome mod. Keep up the good work.

Apparently with latest tweak scale and module manager some downscaled HX parts have negative mass.

Probably Modular  Fuel Tanks messes up them, as removing fuel tanks from parts lower its mass below 0 when downscaled to 2.5m or lower.

Here is mod list:

uKHJl4N.png

This happens to HX2-A-HX1-B and HX1-A-SD structural modules.

Edited by raxo2222

13 hours ago, blowfish said:

Probably, yes.

looks like it should be reported to @bac9

10 hours ago, taniwha said:

B9 provides its own MFT configs (really, as all parts mods should).

Some structural HX parts when downscaled and with removed fuel tanks have negative mass.

Edited by raxo2222

9 hours ago, Ranger3502 said:

I hate to bother,but B9 aerospace is still failing to load some parts into 1.1.2,i have all of the dependant mods and no conflicting mods.Help?

Hi Ranger.  Please read "how to get support" in my signature.  It will guide you through troubleshooting and if that fails, uploading KSP's log so that I can inspect it.

7 hours ago, Ranger3502 said:

Didn't bac9 quit?

bac9 didn't quit per se, but is no longer active on this project (or KSP modding in general)

4 hours ago, raxo2222 said:

Guys at MFT said its your responsibility.

Well there's nothing on B9's end that could be causing this, but I'll get in contact with taniwha and see what might be going on.

Hey guys,

Don't know if its a known issue, but I run into a huge problem when using a structural B9 piece as the vessel root (starting part). In my case I was building a rover and started with the B9 2x2 panel for the base of the rover. When leaving the rover out in the world and returning to it, it only loads 1 part and I get spammed with errors.

Here are the logs: https://mega.nz/#!yA9BEC6b!ip5tYkxhZil2nZrSIo4nLqDYvt96lnjm4Kxt9DgXp28

I did alot of testing to narrow down this issue to having a B9 structural part as the vessel root. Its easy to bypass this error, just start with a pod/unmanned pod instead of a structural piece from B9. Toward the end I had just B9 and another mod (Near Future) that I thought was causing this issue.

35 minutes ago, twisted067 said:

Hey guys,

Don't know if its a known issue, but I run into a huge problem when using a structural B9 piece as the vessel root (starting part). In my case I was building a rover and started with the B9 2x2 panel for the base of the rover. When leaving the rover out in the world and returning to it, it only loads 1 part and I get spammed with errors.

Here are the logs: https://mega.nz/#!yA9BEC6b!ip5tYkxhZil2nZrSIo4nLqDYvt96lnjm4Kxt9DgXp28

I did alot of testing to narrow down this issue to having a B9 structural part as the vessel root. Its easy to bypass this error, just start with a pod/unmanned pod instead of a structural piece from B9. Toward the end I had just B9 and another mod (Near Future) that I thought was causing this issue.

Well you certainly seem to be missing a bunch of B9's dependencies, no idea if that's the source of your issues.  I don't see any error spam in the log ... could you maybe point me to that?

There was a previous bug where having a switchable part as the root would cause issues, but this looks nothing like that, and in any case that bug was fixed.

1 hour ago, blowfish said:

Well you certainly seem to be missing a bunch of B9's dependencies, no idea if that's the source of your issues.  I don't see any error spam in the log ... could you maybe point me to that?

There was a previous bug where having a switchable part as the root would cause issues, but this looks nothing like that, and in any case that bug was fixed.

Ah my bad, I forgot to put the dependencies in after removing all my other mods. I tested this again, still get the same issue but with much less log spam. Here's a short video of the bug: https://www.twitch.tv/twisted067/v/70977987

Mod list is: B9 Aerospace, HX, Legacy (is legacy needed?), B9 AnimationModules, B9PartSwitch, Community Resource Pack, Firespitter, JSI, NearfutureElectrical, Squad. Got latest module manager.

Logs: https://mega.nz/#!Ldk2jK6D!ZGOWZDKVcYK10EzcfmCTqbBVof4cywpc4TFciM1fvSA

Lines 5334 and down show the error (in KSP.log). From the video you can see that using the stock part as a vessel root works, but when using a B9 part as a root it freaks out.

Edit: I removed NearFuture and CommunityResourePack and tested again with the same results.

Edited by twisted067

3 hours ago, twisted067 said:

Ah my bad, I forgot to put the dependencies in after removing all my other mods. I tested this again, still get the same issue but with much less log spam. Here's a short video of the bug: https://www.twitch.tv/twisted067/v/70977987

Mod list is: B9 Aerospace, HX, Legacy (is legacy needed?), B9 AnimationModules, B9PartSwitch, Community Resource Pack, Firespitter, JSI, NearfutureElectrical, Squad. Got latest module manager.

Logs: https://mega.nz/#!Ldk2jK6D!ZGOWZDKVcYK10EzcfmCTqbBVof4cywpc4TFciM1fvSA

Lines 5334 and down show the error (in KSP.log). From the video you can see that using the stock part as a vessel root works, but when using a B9 part as a root it freaks out.

Edit: I removed NearFuture and CommunityResourePack and tested again with the same results.

Okay, confirmed.  This is really due to a dumb stock issue but no sense in waiting for a fix.  Pretty easy to fix on my end though, this version of B9PartSwitch should resolve the issue.

Edited by blowfish

11 hours ago, twisted067 said:

Hey guys,

Don't know if its a known issue, but I run into a huge problem when using a structural B9 piece as the vessel root (starting part). In my case I was building a rover and started with the B9 2x2 panel for the base of the rover. When leaving the rover out in the world and returning to it, it only loads 1 part and I get spammed with errors. .....

Oh. I wasn't good enough to describe it but my problems were almost the same. I thought it was my addition which made the problem. But now I can remember when I redownloaded the B9-HX I used the coupola cabin for root part.

I used the 1 square wide long universal piece beforehand as a root (which was altered by me).