Inappropriate advertising

Ippo

Chiming in with what i've seen - there are also a fair few "Download Windows Drivers now! Speed up your computer!" scammy things popping up too. Don't have a screenshot but I really doubt they're genuine, and probably link to malware.

Chiming in with what i've seen - there are also a fair few "Download Windows Drivers now! Speed up your computer!" scammy things popping up too. Don't have a screenshot but I really doubt they're genuine, and probably link to malware.

This one:

ScammyAd.png

It actually links to WinZip of all things, but I agree it looks scammy and I reported it as such.

This one:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61004449/KSP/ScammyAd.png

It actually links to WinZip of all things, but I agree it looks scammy and I reported it as such.

Haven't seen that one, but it was similar. Mine had a flashy windows 7 logo on the left and animated ticks on the right, beside all the versions of windows that the "drivers" were available for. I spam refreshed the front page and it seems to have gone.

lol... what you saying about Ippo?

The adverts that contain little "product windows" are usually configured for your recent history, but a lot of it looks like random dross. Like, right now, I'm looking at an advert for Fluke infrared thermal imaging cameras.

There has been a large number of malware ads recently but I only notice them when browsing on my iPad.

On my pc, there is an icon in the top right corner of the ad that contains a link that directs you to the about google ads page. Here, it explains how the ads work and how you can configure or tailor them to suit your tastes. This is exactly the same thing as an "opt-out" approach that has caused controversy on these forums recently. Google utilizes the DoubleClick cookie to tailor the ads towards you.

There are other ways to browse the web without google. Most of the larger companies, like Bing, MSN, and Yahoo, use similar tactics as google, but smaller less known search engines like DuckDuckGo respect privacy.

Sure, but the owner of the site that uses Google Ads has the final word about what ads can go on rotation on his pages.

I really don't care if I'm shown girls in panties (actually, moar plz), but since the moderators remind us a lot that there are also younger users on this forum, maybe they'd like to check the parameters of their account to filter these out.

I'm being stalked by "Obama lowers homeowners owe" and "view arrest record now!" And "secret trick removes water fluoride" or "DONT DRINK ANOTHER DROP OF WATER UNTIL YOU SEE THIS!!"

What id do is look through your installed programs and check if you have adware, and empty your cookies.

I also dump my cookies frequently so these are out of the blue.

Edited by Dooz

Heh, this one is pretty close to violating the "no conspiracy theory" rule:

-snip

Thank goodness someone is offering a method to get rid of the mind-controlling fluoride in our water!

Ads along those lines are the reason I trust no pictures of people that seem remotely exaggerated. Especially the "muscle building" ones. Now, all skin seems like plastic :( Wait, what were we talking about?

On the whole, I do wish these ads could be removed. Young people do read the forums, sometimes with their parents. It would be a shame that one dodgy ad could remove KSP from a child's life.

Ads along those lines are the reason I trust no pictures of people that seem remotely exaggerated. Especially the "muscle building" ones. Now, all skin seems like plastic :( Wait, what were we talking about?

On the whole, I do wish these ads could be removed. Young people do read the forums, sometimes with their parents. It would be a shame that one dodgy ad could remove KSP from a child's life.

Picture related.

but all I'm getting is Destiny ads.

I am to

Well I'm sure many of us are interested in space and Then EVIL Tracking cookies! serve us ads.

But

Another Ad thats bad is "find out if he is cheating on you!" Or Ads for Rated M games Which I only saw one, I keep getting ads for Trashy anime.

Edited by Dooz

Snip

Hi, Daishi. Thanks for letting us know about this. Alex is on the case and he'll be going through our adsense configuration to see what other types of ad topics need to be blocked. Ads dealing with adult material, pharmaceuticals, etc; have been long blocked, but this one's definitely shady and hopefully, he'll be able to reconfigure things so something like it doesn't pop up again.

Hi, Daishi. Thanks for letting us know about this. Alex is on the case and he'll be going through our adsense configuration to see what other types of ad topics need to be blocked. Ads dealing with adult material, pharmaceuticals, etc; have been long blocked, but this one's definitely shady and hopefully, he'll be able to reconfigure things so something like it doesn't pop up again.

Happy to help :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.