Must have mods?

Las-pen

So far I've been playing KSP pretty much vanilla, with some minor and helpful mods, like Joint Reinforcement and Crew Manifest. Mostly because the mods might become obsolete when the game updates. Or my saves break if I switch to a computer that doesn't have specific mods. (I do the same with Skyrim and many other moddable games)

Recently I've started looking some bigger mods and was wondering if there are some necessary ones that everyone should have.

So far I've only got Original Parts, KAX and Spaceplane Plus and I like how they look like stock parts (well, maybe not the Original Parts).

Though it doesn't have to be just part packs.

I'm actually working on providing a mod pack for someone in just your situation. I've not played with a lot of gameplay altering mods as I prefer noninvasive stock compatible mods that do not modify game physics, or add a lot of parts for parts sake, or add features that will be posted in the next release, or modify the look and feel of the stock game, and aren't full of bugs or incompatibility with other mods. I've gathered my mod shopping list for .24 this week and I'm going to release it as Inigma's Mod Pack shortly after testing. I would call this pack essential in that I could see these concepts as stock at some point in the future.

Here are is the current list:

Inigma's KSP Essentials Mod List:

Editor Expansion (Essential)

• SelectRoot by Industries - select a new root part for your vessel
  • Editor Extensions by MachXXV - an expansion of the VAB and SPH build options to include more snap angles, more symmetrical part placement, and more
  • Kerbal Engineer Redux by cybutek - used for calculating Delta V, and providing flight data as needed
  • HyperEdit by Ezriilc - included for only for testing ship designs, not cheating
  • Hullcam VDS by Albert VDS - for rover cams, ship cams, ground cams, and more, for those who like to take neat pics or videos
  • RCS Build Aid by m4v - adds an rcs center of balance and other visuals in VAB and SPH for perfect RCS placement (not yet tested for inclusion)
  • TweakableEverything by toadicus - tweaks part parameters such as engine thrust, decoupler expolsive charge, docking port magnetic power, etc. (not yet tested for inclusion)

Command and Control (Essential)

• Toolbar by blizzy78 - essential GUI container for other mod buttons
  • Kerbal Alarm Clock by TriggerAu - set timers that alert you to launch windows, SOI changes, and maneuver node pausing
  • Docking Port Alignment Indicator by NavyFish - easier docking with a GUI
  • Navball Docking Alignment Indicator by mic_e- easier docking with a navball aid
  • TAC Fuel Balancer by TaranisElsu - Move fuel or balance it from a separate GUI (I am thinking of replacing this if a good alternative can be found)
  • Improved Chase Camera by BahamutoD - chase camera follows current velocity vector, not rear of craft (not yet tested for inclusion)
  • Camera Tools (Stationary Camera) by BahamutoD - provides a camera that you can set to be stationary for recording those awesome flight scenes (not yet tested for inclusion)
  • Resource Details in Tracking Center by avivey - Resource and visual information GUI for vessels in the Tracking Center screen for accurate vessel selection (not yet tested for inclusion)
  • Kerbal EVA Resource Transfer by marce- EVA Kerbals can carry a small amount of any resource and transfer it to another vessel (not yet tested for inclusion, I thought it might enhance multiplayer EVAs)

Missing Game Artifacts (Essential)

• Mk2 Cockpit Internals by Sam Hall - opens the windows on the stock mk2 cockpit. the only visual enhancement that isn't, since it actually should be in the stock game aways.
  • Chatterer by Iannic-ann-od - near random background radio chatter between KSP Mission Control and your Kerbals, adds immersion
  • RCS Sound Effects by pizzaoverhead - RCS thrusters have sound and light effects for better feedback on knowing they are operating (not yet tested for inclusion)

For Multiplayer Fun

• DarkMultiPlayer by godarklight - The one and only true multiplayer mod for KSP, adds a main menu window to connect to a server found on the DMP server list. Creates a separate DarkMultiPlayer save game folder in your saves. No conflict with single player.
  • Kerbal Attachment System by KospY, Majiir, zzz, Winn75 - For EVA Kerbals to grab things, and for fuel lines (ie no more docking tankers to ground craft in order to transfer fuel. just hook them up with a fuel line via EVA instead).
  • Karbonite by RoverDude (I'm leaning to Karbonite with its open and free development push, although Kethane was previously here) a resource meta game whereby you scan for and mine Karbonite and use it as fuel in Karbonite engines or convert it to fuel for use in regular engines. Useful for expanding Kerbol system empires, and makes for great multiplayer and role play goal setting. This mod is included in this pack to introduce you to the wonderful world of the Open Resource System. Feel free to load other resource mods as desired. This mod does not conflict with Kethane.

Edited by inigma

Modpacks are coming eventually, they can't be stopped (just like they have in every other game out there, and the world didn't come to an end). Not sure why energy and time is being wasted fighting the inevitable.

It's also a matter of time until license barriers collapse. Eventually everything (that needs to be) will be free (as in freedom) and open - just a matter of time in a not-for-profit mod environment like this.

Which is a good thing.

All of the mods!!!

More seriously, I lean heavily on the "utility" mods that fix some of the holes in the stock game's UI.

Current faves:

Kerbal Flight Data

Kerbal Flight Indicators

RCS Build Aid

Editor Extensions

Part Angle Display

Kerbal Alarm Clock

Enhanced Trim

Plus aesthetic enhancers:

Environmental Visual Enhancement

Chatterer

Kerbpaint

Aviation Lights

Raster Prop Monitor

Also highly recommended:

Fine Print

Ferram's Aerospace Research

Goodspeed (like TAC Fuel Balancer but better)

I'd normally recommend Spaceplane Plus as well, but for that you may as well just wait a couple of weeks for .26 stock integration. :)

My recommendations: (a ** after a mod name denotes mods that you should really install since they're so awesome [well, all mods are awesome]) and yes, this is a long list. I really think KSP is that awesome when played with mods :) (that being said, it *is* still amazing even without them)

Editor Tools

- EditorExtensions**

- StripSymmetry**

- TweakScale

- PartAngleDisplay**

- AutoAsparagus

- RCS Build Aid**

- WernherChecker

- Kerbal Engineer Redux**

- MechJeb2**

- TweakableEverything**

- PartCatalog**

Parts

- Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System**

- SpaceplanePlus**

- KSPX**

- KW Rocketry (the fairings are also especially nice and sleek looking)

- B9 Aerospace

- NovaPunch2 (if you really want a lot of parts to choose from :))

- CactEye**

- Klockheed Martian mods

- NearFuture packs**

- RLA Stockalike**

- Taurus HCV

- SDHI

- Aerojet Kerbodyne

- Tantares**

- HomeGrownRockets**

- 6S Service Compartments

- Procedural Fairings

- Procedural Wings

- Firespitter

- Kerbal Aircraft Expansion

- FASA

- DennyTX mods

- Infernal Robotics - Magic Smoke Industries

Tools, graphics enhancements, tweaks

- Ferram Aerospace Research or NEAR**

- Sam Hall Mk2 IVA

- TouhouTorpedo's mods including but not limited to, Mk3 IVA

- ModuleManager when necessary

- kronal Exploded ship view**

- Environmental Visual Enhancements with Astronomer's Visual Pack or Better Atmospheres**

- Kerbal Alarm Clock**

- Docking Port Alignment Indicator**

- RasterPropMonitor**

- VesselView

- RealChute**

- SmokeScreen

- HotRockets

- CoolRockets

- SCANsat**

- NRAP for test payloads

- ProbeControlRoom**

- KerbinSide

- Kerbal Konstructs

- Kosmodrome

- Mulbin's Flags **(they're so cool and add a nice immersion effect; they look like real countries's flags but they have been "Kerbalized")

- FinePrint

Edited by Woopert

Modpacks are coming eventually, they can't be stopped (just like they have in every other game out there, and the world didn't come to an end). Not sure why energy and time is being wasted fighting the inevitable.

It's also a matter of time until license barriers collapse. Eventually everything (that needs to be) will be free (as in freedom) and open - just a matter of time in a not-for-profit mod environment like this.

Which is a good thing.

I mean, whut?

Hi.

Good suggestions. Will definitely try some of them out. And nice to hear SP+ is getting integrated. It's very good mod.

And about mod packs, maybe not the best idea, since everyone has different idea about mods they want (for example: I'm not huge fan of the Firespitter, but still it is reguired by many mods), but can be handy sometimes, if the mods are similar enough. For example; a mod pack for Near Future mods could be useful for some.

I was reading through this list http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/36863-What-not-to-suggest and wondering how up to date it is? Last year I downloaded some mods mentioned there, but that was... well last year, a lot has changed, with Curse scattering the mods all around (this forum isn't exactly the most fluent way to search for mods). Kethane has been pretty much replaced with karbonite, hasn't it. And interstellar... is it still valid?

Edited by Las-pen

I've posted a WIP Inigma's Mod Pack thread here:

Inigma's KSP Essentials Mod Pack

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/94268-WIP-Inigma-s-KSP-Essentials-Mod-Pack

yes you are correct, one man's essential mod is another's bloat. but mod packs are useful for beginners to get their feet wet. that is why i offer it. and yes im leaning toward Karbonite for its open resource system.

yes you are correct, one man's essential mod is another's bloat. but mod packs are useful for beginners to get their feet wet. that is why i offer it. and yes im leaning toward Karbonite for its open resource system.

Mod packs (i.e. all the downloads in one): bad idea, pisses off the mod makers, and for valid reasons.

Mod lists (i.e. a list of mods that work well together, with links to the maker's download sites): good idea, go for it.

(for example: I'm not huge fan of the Firespitter, but still it is reguired by many mods)

But only the firespitter.dll and none of the parts.

I was reading through this list http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/36863-What-not-to-suggest and wondering how up to date it is?

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55401-Community-Mods-and-Plugins-Library

I've posted a WIP Inigma's Mod Pack thread here:

Inigma's KSP Essentials Mod Pack

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/94268-WIP-Inigma-s-KSP-Essentials-Mod-Pack

We have cookies :)

On a side note, I'm personally fine with mix-ins, etc. - I thoroughly encourage peeling the safety stickers off of anything I curate or make, and do go through a lot of pains to play nice in the playground. Just be warned I have a very aggressive release schedule (usually every couple of weeks). I will, however, kick people back to the source if it hits the support wall :) Also - KSP-AVC is your friend.

Edited by RoverDude

... with Curse scattering the mods all around (this forum isn't exactly the most fluent way to search for mods). Kethane has been pretty much replaced with karbonite, hasn't it. And interstellar... is it still valid?

In order: I just got reorganized on my mod-hunt. I have a KSP folder in my bookmarks list. Within it, three subfolders: one for KerbalStuff, one for Curse, and one for the forums. When I find a mod I like, I save the link to the download page (favoring them in the order I listed here.) Also, within KS and Curse, I always favorite / subscribe to the mod updates. It is often helpful to manually rename the bookmark link to something that you can remember, especially on the forum, since the bookmark title takes from the page title, and the [WIP] and [PLUGIN] tags aren't helpful to me on my bookmark list. As for searching for mods, you're correct inasmuch that the forum's own search tool is sometimes clunky with a lot of false hits. Google, however, is a godsend in this regard. If I know the name of a mod I'm looking for, a google search will very rarely list what I'm looking for later than the fourth hit or so. Hence, why I started using bookmarks. (I have 120 links that I've saved and tracked this way. Tedious to set up at first, but so wonderful once it's going. I even alphabetized my links once I had them all. :D )

And, point of fact, Kethane is absolutely by no means defunct or "replaced." They're two separate mods. I like to think of Kethane as a liquid-resource extraction, such as petroleum (and methane, from which the word "kethane" is derived, is itself a hydrocarbon derivative of petroleum) whereas karbonite seems more suited to simulating dry mineral extraction, with ore concentrations and veins and somesuch. I use both.

And KSPI is still valid. It is through Interstellar that I am dependent on karbonite, in fact.

In order: I just got reorganized on my mod-hunt. I have a KSP folder in my bookmarks list. Within it, three subfolders: one for KerbalStuff, one for Curse, and one for the forums. When I find a mod I like, I save the link to the download page (favoring them in the order I listed here.) Also, within KS and Curse, I always favorite / subscribe to the mod updates. It is often helpful to manually rename the bookmark link to something that you can remember, especially on the forum, since the bookmark title takes from the page title, and the [WIP] and [PLUGIN] tags aren't helpful to me on my bookmark list. As for searching for mods, you're correct inasmuch that the forum's own search tool is sometimes clunky with a lot of false hits. Google, however, is a godsend in this regard. If I know the name of a mod I'm looking for, a google search will very rarely list what I'm looking for later than the fourth hit or so. Hence, why I started using bookmarks. (I have 120 links that I've saved and tracked this way. Tedious to set up at first, but so wonderful once it's going. I even alphabetized my links once I had them all. :D )

And, point of fact, Kethane is absolutely by no means defunct or "replaced." They're two separate mods. I like to think of Kethane as a liquid-resource extraction, such as petroleum (and methane, from which the word "kethane" is derived, is itself a hydrocarbon derivative of petroleum) whereas karbonite seems more suited to simulating dry mineral extraction, with ore concentrations and veins and somesuch. I use both.

And KSPI is still valid. It is through Interstellar that I am dependent on karbonite, in fact.

There's a very helpful thread at the top of the addon release forum that has links to the forum posts for most of the mods (it's downright convenient). Also, I generally recommend (given a choice) to hit the GitHub releases for a mod as those tend to be the most current, especially for mods with plugins.

We have cookies :)

On a side note, I'm personally fine with mix-ins, etc. - I thoroughly encourage peeling the safety stickers off of anything I curate or make, and do go through a lot of pains to play nice in the playground. Just be warned I have a very aggressive release schedule (usually every couple of weeks). I will, however, kick people back to the source if it hits the support wall :) Also - KSP-AVC is your friend.

Thanks Rover Dude! Yes, the support model for mod packs is pretty basic: if a mod fails to work, one should contact to the mod pack developer for help, else install new versions of all mods and only then contact the developers themselves. I don't see why there has been such a hub bub about it since this model has already been happening... if only with individual gamers up to now.

Thanks Rover Dude! Yes, the support model for mod packs is pretty basic: if a mod fails to work, one should contact to the mod pack developer for help, else install new versions of all mods and only then contact the developers themselves. I don't see why there has been such a hub bub about it since this model has already been happening... if only with individual gamers up to now.

For clarity - I only speak for my own stuff because it's re-mixed and re-released on a fairly frequent basis already, and a lot of the bits I make are intended to be remixed and bundled. At the same time, I strongly suggest asking mod authors BEFORE you do this, or you will get a lot of pissed off people and the community will get a lot of closed licenses.

For clarity - I only speak for my own stuff because it's re-mixed and re-released on a fairly frequent basis already, and a lot of the bits I make are intended to be remixed and bundled. At the same time, I strongly suggest asking mod authors BEFORE you do this, or you will get a lot of pissed off people and the community will get a lot of closed licenses.

I absolutely agree! It has always been my intent to ask permission from restricted mod makers before including them in a released .zip. I believe I was misunderstood when I said mod makers are welcome to inform me not to include their mod in a zip - this is intended for those mod makers who licenses I somehow miss the restriction, or personally don't want them in a mod pack. For now I will be rebooting my thread as a mod list with instructions and will make it absolutely clear that if I make a zip, it will only be released with permitted mods. I think I was greatly misunderstood in my original thread. Time to fix that with a reboot. :) It's a very touchy subject I've learned, and with good reason. :)

I absolutely agree! It has always been my intent to ask permission from restricted mod makers before including them in a released .zip. I believe I was misunderstood when I said mod makers are welcome to inform me not to include their mod in a zip - this is intended for those mod makers who licenses I somehow miss the restriction, or personally don't want them in a mod pack. For now I will be rebooting my thread as a mod list with instructions and will make it absolutely clear that if I make a zip, it will only be released with permitted mods. I think I was greatly misunderstood in my original thread. Time to fix that with a reboot. :) It's a very touchy subject I've learned, and with good reason. :)

Let me phrase that a different way.

Even if a mod includes a license that allows redistribution, I would strongly suggest talking to them lest as a direct result of pissing a modder off, we end up with a closed license where there used to be an open one. And everyone loses.

Let me phrase that a different way.

Even if a mod includes a license that allows redistribution, I would strongly suggest talking to them lest as a direct result of pissing a modder off, we end up with a closed license where there used to be an open one. And everyone loses.

Agreed again, hence why in my rebooted thread i'm making it clear i will be contacting every mod developer on the mod list. :) BTW, you should have received your invitation too in your dev thread for Karbonite. :D I really hope this project takes off on good terms with all mod developers listed. I've been meaning to put together a mod pack for use on KerbalCentral.com's multiplayer server.

Edited by inigma

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.