Realism Overhaul Discussion Thread

NathanKell

36 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

@CliftonM doesn't sound like delta V is the problem here; the problem is insufficient time in space (can be solved by a higher-TWR, i.e.e shorter burn time for same dV, upper stage, or better vertical velocity control by pitch contorol).

True.

3 hours ago, NathanKell said:

@cytosine I believe we weld the stage together; what you should look for is S-I (or S-IB) stage, not just the plate.

Yep, you are exactly correct.  I tested a fresh install with only RO and it's dependencies.  And there it was; the Saturn S1B tank with welded engine plate in all of it's glory!

Turns out my problem was two-fold:

1.  AutoPruner did indeed remove the 6.6m S1B tank, but left the smaller FASA 3.9m engine plate (hence part of my confusion)
2.  RP-0 changes the S1B tank to the original FASA tank *without* any engine plate.  The only engine plate I could find was that smaller 3.9m one, so either they expect me to install TweakScale or it's a logic bug in that there is no matching plate to fit the 6.6m tank.  Oh well, it's not your problem, I'll take it up with the RP-0 crew.  So even without AutoPruner I still would have had an issue with RP-0.

On a side note, I built my own S1B with procedural tanks and 2x procedural thrust plates.  Seems to work, but it also seems a little heavy.  That or my math just sucks!  Either way, at least I know the correct size is indeed 6.6m!

Thanks again!  :)

@cytosine glad you got it solved! :)

That said, (a) it's still my problem because I am the RP-0 crew too :P (Well, it's another shared project like RO, I'm not in the least the whole crew), and (b) either way RP-0 doesn't change parts, RO does. RP-0 sets costs and tech requirements and that sort of thing.

@stratochief66 is the guy who mostly does FASA configs--poking. :)

I have a ton of parts in my RO or RP-0 installs, and i bet you do to. With RO (or RP-0 sandbox, I imagine) you should have the S1B engine mount + tank welded, and just the tank cluster as a part. I haven't seen the engine mount alone either, it must have been eliminated through welding at some point before my tenure. If you comb through all of the part categories you should find both of those parts. So, just because you managed to find the S1B tankage w/o the mount in RP-0 doesn't mean it isn't there, I encourage you to look again.

Now, in RP-0, when parts become available is entirely dependent on -if- and -where- they have been placed in the tech tree. If a part hasn't been placed in the RP-0 tech tree, then it won't be available anywhere other than in RP-0 sandbox I think,

If a part hasn't been placed by RP-0 into a node, *and* it hasn't been placed into the ORPHANS node, then it will be wherever the original partmaker placed it. However, its title will begin with Non-RP0--that's a signal that you shouldn't use it. :)

Okay, I'm going to start by 'unpruning'.  My gaming rig doesn't really need it, but I found my travel laptop has seen some minor perf benefits after pruning.  Plus it's been nice having 'less' parts, but I admit there are some I can't live without like the FASA Atlas skirt...  Just means I need to roll up my sleeves and tweak to my little hearts content.

I will let you know if I find anything useful...  Thanks!

I've got some questions on nuclear thermal rockets.

Is it possible to store liquid hydrogen without it leaking away, and if so, how?  I tried using balloon cryo tanks with active cooling fins on them.  However, there was no right-click menu to turn the active cooling fins on/off, so I have no idea if they were actually doing anything.  Do I need to use the extendable fins?  Secondly, there was no way to right-click on the tanks to see their current temperature (it used to tell you the temperature of the tanks in degrees K if you right-clicked on them).  Finally, of course, my hydrogen kept leaking away.  Since I didn't have any temperature measurement, I had no idea if I was even close to getting the requisite low temps to keep my hydrogen from venting away.

I'm for the most part, just using the required and recommended mods.  The only optional mod I installed was the RLA stock-alike part pack.  I'm open to suggestions for additional packs to install.  I just didn't want to install a billion part packs and over-complicate and over-dependency everything.

Edited by -Velocity-

I'm also still having the same problem that made me quit RO the first time I played it.  My RCS thrusters never stop firing.  If they are at all enabled, they will fire.  I DO NOT have a joystick or any other kind of game controller plugged in.  Anyone else have the same problem, and how do I fix it?

3 hours ago, -Velocity- said:

I'm also still having the same problem that made me quit RO the first time I played it.  My RCS thrusters never stop firing.  If they are at all enabled, they will fire.  I DO NOT have a joystick or any other kind of game controller plugged in.  Anyone else have the same problem, and how do I fix it?

Mechjeb links RCS to throttle if you're out of fuel for your rocket engines, try cutting the throttle.

What Extra mods would i need to replicate

the ISS+vehicles used to build 

the shuttle and SLS

SpaceX's in use Falcon 9/Heavy and Dragon.

ULA's in use vehicles+vulcan with ACES

Orbital ATK's launch vehicles and cygnus

And ESA's in use vehicles and ATV

thanks in advance!

4 hours ago, Natskyge said:

the shuttle and SLS

thanks in advance!

only know the answer for one of those sets of vehicles: you should try LazTek's Space-X mods, however I'm not quite sure if they are still working in KSP 1.0+

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/27154-090-laztek-spacex-launch-exploration-colonial-transporter-amp-historic-mods-12514/

9 hours ago, Natskyge said:

the shuttle and SLS

thanks in advance!

Let's see, BobCat Ind. has a lot of stuff, including the ISS community project: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/73884-release-bobcat-ind-spaceampplanet-products/

Component space shuttle has more shuttle parts: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/64751-component-space-shuttle-dev-thread-img-heavy/

LiquidHype's real scale launch vehicles: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/116911-liquidhypes-real-scale-launch-vehicles-development-continued/

Tantares, more stock-alike soviet spacecraft (Tantares LV has launch vehicles): http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/73686-105-tantares-stockalike-soyuz-and-mir-3222122015new-salyut/

Real scale boosters, may not be compatible with RO, but works with RSS: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/130776-105wip-real-scale-boosters-021-2016-01-26/

Then there's the RN lineup, which I shamelessly copied from the RO release thread:

• RN Antares-Cygnus~ link
  • RN Proton & Soyuz R7~ link
  • RN Salyut/Soyuz/Vostok/Voskhod~ link
  • RN Skylab link
  • RN Solar Panels link
  • RN Soviet Probes~ link
  • RN US Probes Pack~ link

18 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Let's see, BobCat Ind. has a lot of stuff, including the ISS community project: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/73884-release-bobcat-ind-spaceampplanet-products/

Component space shuttle has more shuttle parts: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/64751-component-space-shuttle-dev-thread-img-heavy/

LiquidHype's real scale launch vehicles: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/116911-liquidhypes-real-scale-launch-vehicles-development-continued/

Tantares, more stock-alike soviet spacecraft (Tantares LV has launch vehicles): http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/73686-105-tantares-stockalike-soyuz-and-mir-3222122015new-salyut/

Real scale boosters, may not be compatible with RO, but works with RSS: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/130776-105wip-real-scale-boosters-021-2016-01-26/

Then there's the RN lineup, which I shamelessly copied from the RO release thread:

• RN Antares-Cygnus~ link
  • RN Proton & Soyuz R7~ link
  • RN Salyut/Soyuz/Vostok/Voskhod~ link
  • RN Skylab link
  • RN Solar Panels link
  • RN Soviet Probes~ link
  • RN US Probes Pack~ link

Thanks!

Edited by Natskyge

On 1/29/2016 at 3:26 PM, Phineas Freak said:

The only mod that is compatible with RSS/RO for cooling cryogenic propellants is HeatPump (originally part of RealFuels).

On 1/29/2016 at 1:47 PM, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Mechjeb links RCS to throttle if you're out of fuel for your rocket engines, try cutting the throttle.

I just got back from a couple-day trip, and both my questions were answered!  Thanks guys, ya'll are awesome!  It does look like it was probably Mechjeb causing my RCS thrusters to fire, they were firing in the forward translation direction after I had decoupled from the booster that took my thing into orbit.

Maybe now, I can start trying to put together a Europa "sample return" mission!  I have no idea how much dV it will take, but I think it's gonna be quite a lot... hence the interest in NTRs.

6 minutes ago, veggero said:

I have a question:

How can I change the rocket engines datas (as isp, thust etc.) and add new textures?

Modify the config. In the MODEL module, you can add a texture node and put the link to the texture. You can edit the stats of an engine by changing the engine mudule. I can't really show much right now, because I'm on mobile. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.