Is KSP the greatest video game ever made?

sedativechunk

KSP is currently the game that I play to the exclusion of everything else. Before that, I played Minecraft obsessively for about a year and WoW obsessively for 6 years. I think this actually says more about me than KSP, and it's possible that the greatness of KSP is its ability to trigger this obsessive response in a certain kind of person. This might also be the reason for its niche appeal. Not everyone is vulnerable to this drug.

WoW, being a subscription game, was designed from the outside to encourage addiction. Measured by total number of player hours, or total revenue, it is the greatest game so far. But it also had huge development resources put into it. If you divided total player hours by total developer hours, KSP might get close.

You cannot compare a game that fascinates you with a game that uses psychological tricks to get you to p(l)ay longer.

Are we talking actual gameplay or tech? :wink:

Best video game ever ... no idea ... it is one of THE best video games I played in my 22 years of PC gaming, that I can say.

Edited by KerbMav

Despite all the (ego inflates) great work us moderators do ('cause really, we do a hell of a lot) our community is, and always will be, just one youtuber playing the game, and if they have legions of undying fanboys, from being overwhelmed.

This statement confuses me. Did you mean to say our community is built around one youtuber?

Best is a difficult word to quantify in this case. For the vast majority of gamers, I suspect that it doesn't get even close to make their top 10 lists. Spaceflight just isn't something that people generally think about all that often, so it's not surprising that KSP is a game that only appeals to a narrower audience when compared to Angry Birds and Grand Theft Auto.

I can say that as a person who follows space news daily, and can rememeber drawing spacecraft since early childhood, KSP is far and away MY favourite game. The ability not just to fly to a range of varied destinations in fairly realistic ways, but to do so in craft that I designed, is amazing. I also think that despite a lot of grumbling around here lately, them game is getting better and better.

In other words, SQUAD, you ROCK :D

KSP for me has the most Replayability of any game I've played.

Operation flashpoint and the arma series cone close thought.

But if I had to choose KSP would be my favourite game of all time.

There is just so much to do and see.

And is really only limited by your imagination.

*edit* your imagination and the physics engine.

MJ

Edited by Majorjim

It's a good game, as attested to by the number of people who frequent this forum, and who have already replied to this particular topic, but the best video game ever!? No, not even close. After all, it's not even out of alpha testing yet, and is still riddled with bugs to even be considered for that lofty accolade.

It has very good gameplay, which is probably the most important aspect of any game, but the graphics are rather simplistic, audio is limited, and the physics for wing borne flight is laughable. Ask the same question again in 12 months time, and I may have a different answer, but not as the game currently stands.

Edited by Scarecrow88

The greatest game ever made? No, mostly because I don't feel such a title can ever be reserved for just one single game as I've seen many games across many years that I believe to be equally great but in different ways. I do think KSP is by far one of best "Early Access" projects on Steam right now (and in it's own right as an indie game development project) thanks in part to SQUAD and how interactive they are with the community. And when it is a complete game I do believe KSP will be one of the best ever, at least in my mind :).

The best game ever made? No, thats Homeworld 1 for me.

Sure, KSP is awesome, but it would be much better with unity 5 and physx 3.3.

You sir, win this thread.

*salutes*

I do think KSP is by far one of best "Early Access" projects on Steam right now (and in it's own right as an indie game development project)

My title of the best Early Access game goes to the trio of Prison Architect, Star Citizen and Elite.

Prison Architect for the way they care about customers, the way they look at the community feedback, the content of their patches... it's pretty much unmatched by the competition. Heck - just today they released a whole big patch focusing on fixing a problems with the games - something we here at KSP community can only dream of.

Star Citizen and Elite for the insight they give into the game development and how sincere and open to the community developers are. Elite obviously wins in terms of how much new playable content patches add and how you can see with each big patch that they made a leap towards the release (instead of two steps forward and one step back like it happens with KSP), but Star Citizen totally got my heart by just how great are folks working on a development of this game. They way they handle community is even more impressive considering just how enormous communities of both these games are and how many different opinions there are about pretty much every single element of a game (heck - in Star Citizen there's a whole group of hardcore console gamers - something you wouldn't expect from a title so very much ringing a bell of a "PC master race").

Edited by Sky_walker

Yikes.... this is a hard one... I would have to say KSP is my 2nd favorite video game, and fought hard to take that spot from Wargame : Red Dragon, and FO: New Vegas.

Though Pokemon Ruby, my first video game holds a special place in my heart, how many long car rides, boring adult dinner parties, and rainy days were made fun by that game....

For me personally, it's up there. The only game I've spent more time on is EVE online(I even went to Iceland once). I haven't played EVE in a couple of years and doubt I will ever go back so at the moment, KSP is my favorite game. Not necessarily of all time but yeah.

Skyrim sapped 400+ hours of my life, and I love it to pieces. KSP has that beat by over 1000 hours! Yes, I have no life. No other game has ever engaged my brain and encouraged the creativity KSP has. I desperately want the Unity team to release v5, so we can all have a stable win64 client. Then I will truly be happy! :sticktongue:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.